Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Pet meds?

Do you buy pet stuff, specifically flea treatment (im thinking frontline or advantage) from the vet, online or from another source?

If so, where from? I just realized NOW that I wanted to look into this before my dogs vet appointment tomorrow afternoon when I will need to ask how much their flea stuff costs... so I kind of left it last minute.

I don tknow if Im shooting myself in the foot asking this, this late at night. Please answer this post!!!

Re: Pet meds?

• Options
    nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2010
    Everytime we board quincy or he goes to get groomed they update his flea and heart stuff. It always seems cheap when we do it. Frontline is $14 each time? Maybe that isn't a good price...?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I only have 80$ MAX that I can afford for atleast 7 months of treatment. I figure he needs flea stuff from april till october? I hate being freaking poor.
  • Options
    I use frontline for our cats.  Its a once a month treatment.  I think its $48 for a 3 pack?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I hate being poor too :( I'm sorry.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed that big of a price difference online vs. in the stores.  Since we have 8 animals, we use regular advantage, buy the pack for the largest sized dog and then split the dosage for the cats/dog based on weight to save money.  You can ONLY do this with Regular Advantage though, because the concentrations are the same for cats/dogs regardless of weight.  You can't do it with Frontline or k-9 Advantix or anything like that. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    damn damn damn 50$ for 3 months sounds so much. I cant neglect his needs and I do NOT want to deal with fleas if he gets them so I pretty much have to shell out the money :(
  • Options
    Nebb - how big is he?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    He is 30-35lbs.
  • Options
    Nebb- I looked on Petsmart.com and a 6 month supply of Advantage is 67.99 for a dog 11-20 pounds, and that's the weight I assumed your pup was.

This is what I use on mine, and haven't had any problems.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    My pug is all muscle, hes hefty. I have trouble believing he is a "large" dog, but according to the weight specifications he apparently is!
  • Options
    Ok- in that case its 69.99 for 6 months. Can you ask the vet if they can just give you a one month supply of whatever you choose, and then get a six month supply in a pack to keep him protected for the whole 7 months.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Thats a good idea, and given the extra time I could save more money for it. If they can offer me 7 months for less than 80$ I will just go through the vet but I have a feeling it will be a lot more than 80.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pet-meds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5e16633-3069-4b9c-b48b-e535cb57e669Post:d0835c97-d316-4f0e-b3be-70429e1237b8">Re: Pet meds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My pug is all muscle, hes hefty. I have trouble believing he is a "large" dog, but according to the weight specifications he apparently is!
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I knew he was a pug, but I just assumed he weighed less, but then again, my friend's pug is heavy as heck compared to how big she actually looks.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Yeah im not sure what it is about pugs, I always read before getting him that pugs should be less than 30lbs but he has been bigger than that since he was a year old. He is very tall, has very long legs and is very muscular. His body almost reminds us of a bulldogs body.
  • Options

Buy the 4 dose supply of Advantage for dogs 55 lbs and over. (1800petmeds has it priced at $50)  The large dog vials are 4 vials with 4 of product per vial (4x4 = 16 ml of product). 

Dosage for a dog your size is 2.5 ml per dose, which would give you a little over 6 doses from the one pack (16ml / 2.5ml)

Ask your vet for a small glass vial with a cap and a dosage syringe.  Squeeze the solution into the bottle and then draw it out with the syringe.

Again, you can ONLY do this with Regular Advantage because the product is the exact same concentration for dogs/cats.  They just sell you more of it in the packs.

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    I will find out how much the advantage costs from the vets when I am there, thats also a good idea!
  • Options
    I usually use 1800petmeds.com & have had no problems with the site, customer service or product itself. Granted, it's for cats, but a 5 second search shows a 6 month supply of frontline plus for medium dogs (23-44lbs) for  $80.99 & free shipping on 1800petmeds.com.  Further, this same supply is only $64 on amazon.com but I've used them multiple times, as well.
    Just my personal experience...good luck keeping your buddy flea free this summer :)
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I never thought of amazon, I wonder if its just the same quality? It must be if its advantage or whatever else...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have to buy my cat a vitamin supplement and the best price I've found is on amazon.com. 

ETA: 6 doses for $58:
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I used to work at a Vet's office as a technician., and our office was cheaper than 1800 PetMeds and the stores. We had a lot of problems from people ordering from PetMeds. Your Vet might price compare. I REALLY don't recommend buying a bigger weight size and splitting it just to save money. The medication is made for dogs of that weight, and just because you're splitting it doesn't mean he's getting a smaller dose of the medication. It could be very harmful. Like I said, I just recommend asking your vet if they price match. You can get Frontline at petco for like 45$ or so.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    When I got my frontline and heartguard last year, it was about $120 for both.  I got 1 year of the heartguard, and 7 months of the frontline.

I think you can make it work.  Check out Foster's and Smith too, they usually have some great products for decent prices.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
  • Options
    i use pet egde for generic things like flea and tick

but they have variety too
  • Options
    I used to always laugh at those commercials, thinking wow there really is a place like this?  But with my last pet who needed special medicine, it ended up coming from Pet Meds =)  Very covenient!
  • Options
    Kinda late to this, but -

I use Comfortis, it's oral and supposed to be less toxic than the topical stuff.

Also, I only use it as needed.  I just don't feel like putting bug poison on my dog on a monthly basis if they only end up with fleas MAYBE 3 times a year.

That being said, my dogs are inside and only go out for walks.  And when they do turn up with a flea or two, the Comfortis starts working within 30 minutes to an hour.

Also, there is a vitamin/supplement, maybe it's garlic of fish oil and it's supposed to be great for the dog and something in it keeps pests away.  I'll have to ask my mom.  It's an old home remedy and she gives it to the dogs at her house.

• Options
    Just a word about online pharmacies.  The companies do not honor their product if they come from places like Petmeds etc. 

If you buy flea or heartworm prevention from the vets office and it doesn't work they will refund your money, and if its heartworms then the company will pay for the treatment of your pet.  IF however you purchase from a 3rd party source they will not gaurantee the product and you are out of luck on getting help.  Other drugs from petmeds are the same way, so if your pets has a reaction to the drug there is nothing  the company will do.

and the PP who talked about price matching is right.  Just come in with your prices and ask if they can help because you can't afford much more and 99% of them will. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Oh, ditto on the price matching.

My vet waives his $30 office visit for me sometimes because that $30 in addition to whatever treatment I need for Lola can be pretty steep.

Plus, I refer a ridiculous amount of people to him.
  • Options
    We get it from the Vet because there was some study or big news thing that OTC pet meds aren't safe.

This is what my Vet said to me in an e-mail last fall about it: Advantage is an OTC product but we discourage purchasing any of these products online.  You never know the true source of the product (many come from overseas) and they are not guaranteed by the manufacturer, whereas product purchased through your veterinarian is backed by it’s maker.  We understand that the online sources are much cheaper and since we want people to get the best product for their pets we actually price match at our clinic.  You just have to bring a printed copy of the price from the website and we will match it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pet-meds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5e16633-3069-4b9c-b48b-e535cb57e669Post:20e934b5-9e81-495f-b695-6782ce2af0fd">Re: Pet meds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to work at a Vet's office as a technician., and our office was cheaper than 1800 PetMeds and the stores. We had a lot of problems from people ordering from PetMeds. Your Vet might price compare. I REALLY don't recommend buying a bigger weight size and splitting it just to save money. The medication is made for dogs of that weight, and just because you're splitting it doesn't mean he's getting a smaller dose of the medication. It could be very harmful. Like I said, I just recommend asking your vet if they price match. You can get Frontline at petco for like 45$ or so.
    Posted by tiffanyandnate[/QUOTE]

As  I stated 2x before, in most cases this is true.  However, with Advantage, it's not.  You can compare the label on each weight package and they are the exact same ingredients AND concentration.  Same product, just different dosages.  I used to volunteer with a pet rescue and they did this all the time (at the recommendation of THEIR vet).
  • Options
    since money is a major concern for you, have you thought about just getting a flea collar? we used them on my dog for years as she was allergic to the liquid types (like advantage). they worked just fine, she never got fleas and she was outside a ton in the summers (she was small, so if she wasn't outside playing she was out with me somewhere). they're much cheaper than the liquids too. just a thought.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pet-meds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5e16633-3069-4b9c-b48b-e535cb57e669Post:ec9989aa-c000-4378-92f3-3750cd931174">Re: Pet meds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We get it from the Vet because there was some study or big news thing that OTC pet meds aren't safe. </strong>This is what my Vet said to me in an e-mail last fall about it: Advantage is an OTC product but we discourage purchasing any of these products online.  You never know the true source of the product (many come from overseas) and they are not guaranteed by the manufacturer, whereas product purchased through your veterinarian is backed by it’s maker.  We understand that the online sources are much cheaper and since we want people to get the best product for their pets we actually price match at our clinic.  You just have to bring a printed copy of the price from the website and we will match it. 
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

This is so true. The manufacturers only guarantee the product if purchased through a vet as well.

You should visit the Pets board on the nest, the girls there are full of information on this stuff.

We give our dog heartworm medication every 45 days instead of 30, and only from June through December. (It depends on your area, but the temp has to be above a certain temp for 30 days (day and night)) for your dog to have a chance of getting heartworm.

For fleas and ticks, we use neem oil shampoo and spray, and we spray our yard with a natural pesticide. I won't put advantix on him, it has such nasty potential side effects.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards