Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

DIY flowers

did any of you buy fresh bulk flowers and put them together yourself a couple days before the wedding? If so, do you regret it, or was it pretty simple and stress free?

Re: DIY flowers

• Options
    I know you are trying to get advice from ladies who are already married, but you might get more responses if you try posting this over on the DIY board.
  • Options
    I want to

• Options
    A friend of mine did DIY flowers for her wedding. They purchased the flower from a local store and made up the bouquets, bouts, etc the day of the wedding. She had a problem with the flowers turning brown and wilting because she wasn't able to keep them cool enough like a florist can. Her wedding was mid-June. Another friend, however, who got married in the dead of winter had no problem with that. Her flowers looked good all day. The friend who wed in June said they had a lot of stress and she was concerned it wouldn't work out. The friend in the middle of winter had a sister who is really good with flowers and had no problem.

I think it just really depends on how much time you will have the day before the wedding or the morning of and your skill level. Make sure you attempt it months before the big day though even if its just making up your bouquet and one bout. That way you still have time to find a florist or go another route, if need be.
  • Options
    One of my good friends is doing this, her and her maids are all making the bouquets the day before the wedding, honestly it scares me half to death because if they dont turn out the way you want at that point you have no other option!
  • Options
    I know I'm not married yet, but we're doing half and half. Like we're working with a florist who is doing all the boquets, but also sells loose flowers as well. It's cheaper by making corsages and such, but not as scary as doing your own boquet! Good luck!
    Until we say "I do" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My married sister in law told me in regards to DIY bouquets: "It sounds easy in theory, but it's not." Hers wer all wilted in the pictures. She said she wishes she hadn't done them herself.

So, I agree with the PP who said to post over on the DIY board. And, if you do decide to DIY on the flowers, do your research way beforehand. Figure out what specific flowers you want, and research what temp they keep at, how long they stay "fresh,"if they're in season or will have to be ordered...etc, and how to take care of them. I think it takes more work than it seems to make it work well, without risking having them look bad.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    One wedding I was in, we did all the flowers that same day. They looked beautiful! :D Just make sure you can properly store them, and you should be fine. I would do a trial run with a random bunch of flowers, also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PP....how did you store them?! I know you need to keep them in a cool place out of direct sunlight. I plan on doing DIY flowers the day before hand but am unsure what the heck i am going to do with them until they are needed and i dont want to risk them wilting or truing brown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards