Wedding Woes

Future In-Law Woes...

So I am VERY frustrated. We sent out our wedding invitations last week. Today my guy was talking to his parents about how they liked invites and out of nowhere they mention that they want to add their friend and his wife as well as his father's 4 Supervisors plus their spouses. In case you're not counting...that's 10 extra people. Keep in mind that my guy doesn't know his father's co-workers and when we were creating the guest list over a year ago we explicitly asked that the guest list be kept to friends and family only in order to keep the numbers in check. Also, we have been very budget conscious, doing lots of DIY projects to keep costs down. I don't think I'm out of line in denying their request. Please tell me Im not alone!

Re: Future In-Law Woes...

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, that's kind of crappy of them...Especially since the invites already went out.

You can tell them no.  Or if you have the space, you can tell them that you can't afford to cover the 10 extras so if they really want them there, your FIL's should pony up the money to cover them.  Or, you could see if you get enough declines and then extend an invite if you think you can swing it.

In any of these scenarios, your FI should be the one to deal with this since it's his parents. 
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're fully within your rights to say no.
  • angelicaSDangelicaSD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    stick with your pre-determined limits. once you open the floodgates....

I'm NOT inviting my coworkers even thought I love them because I was engaged before I started my job, and I had determined long ago close friends and family ONLY
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."

Repeat as necessary. Nothing else is needed. 
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely don't back down. If you have to come up with an excuse say, "We're at capacity."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Tell them no. If these people were important enough to be invited to the wedding they'd already be on the list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards