Wedding Etiquette Forum

the rings?

I've just got engaged recently.We've begun discussing our rings.He was talking along the lines of buying both mine and his.I could be wrong,but isn't it tradition that he buys my ring and I buy his? I asked him about that but neither of us are too sure.What do you guys think?

Re: the rings?

• The way I see it, if you both live together and share living expenses, aren't both rings coming out of both your budgets?
    image Married and Junk.
  • He paid for them both, but the money was going to be "ours" anyway, so it wasn't really a second thought.
  • It's traditional, but you absolutely don't have to do it that way. We bought each other's rings as our gift to each other.
  • He bought mine and I bought his, but we didn't do it that way for purposes of tradition.  That's just how it worked out.  So do it how ever you want to :)
  • Since before we got engaged, all money is OUR money.  We went to the jewelry store picked out rings, and he paid the deposit, and I paid the balance when I picked them up.

I don't know how it is or isn't supposed to be, but if you don't care, just do it however you want.
  • edited March 2010
    I actually think it's traditional that the groom pays for the rings and honeymoon, the bride's family for the reception, and the groom's family for the rehearsal dinner, bride's flowers, and I think officiant? So it is traditional for him to pay, but yeah, I know where you are coming from - it makes more sense for you to pay.

(^This is assuming "tradition" in which a woman would typically not have her own income and therefore wouldn't be expected to pay for anything - she would be moving from her father's house to her husband's house.)

Honestly, with us, we're kind of pooling our money and we're putting it towards the wedding in general. If he ends up paying for the rings, I'll end up paying for the flowers and it will all work out. But if you can afford it and you really want to do it, just tell him.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Our finances have been combined for a while now, so the rings were bought with Our money. 
  • It is important to my FI to buy the rings, so he's buying them. However, after we get married it will be "our" money so it's not really an issue? 
  • I bought his ring, he's buying mine. He got the shorter end of the stick money-wise on that one.
  • I don't think it matters either way, but I want to buy his.  It's one of those things that just resonates with me - it's FROM me.  I'm giving it to him at the ceremony, and I've paid for all my own gifts to people since I was about 13.  No exception here.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Ours were paid for out of our combined wedding fund made up of our money and our parents money.  We picked them out together and bought them together.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c323e65f-08f0-42f8-8a9d-6856e3e8d716Post:bd83b050-b6bd-4a0e-b1d6-fc84787e5ecd">Re: the rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our finances have been combined for a while now, so the rings were bought with Our money. 
    Posted by *BeachBride0410*[/QUOTE]

This.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • We have already combine everything so even though he pulls out the credit card, it is our money.

Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c323e65f-08f0-42f8-8a9d-6856e3e8d716Post:bd83b050-b6bd-4a0e-b1d6-fc84787e5ecd">Re: the rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our finances have been combined for a while now, so the rings were bought with Our money. 
    Posted by *BeachBride0410*[/QUOTE]

This is how we did it, as well.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Our finances are also combined , so we went shopping together and bought them together.
  • We got a zero interest for 1 year deal on ours, so I guess nobody's paying for them until after the wedding.
  • He paid a majority of his ring and I paid the majority of mine, but that's just how it worked out. We didn't plan on "you pay for this and I'll pay for that". We knew we had things to pay for that would come from our shared funds.

• pick them together so you'll get something you both like.  there is no point in being "surprised" with a ring you don't like, but have to wear forever
  • thanks for the replies!
     I told my fiance I want to get his.Seeing as he's wanting to get mine.I thought it would be nice to do.Plus I like the whole "gift" idea,at your wedding it could be your gift to him =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards