Military Brides

Venue Advice!

Hi ladies!

We're booking our venue this week (yay!!!!) and I wanted to check to see what I should look for or ask for in the contract.  I'm well aware of the military clause, but do you have any specific wording you used or wish you had?  Any other clauses I should consider?  What issues would you suggest I make sure are spelled out?

I know I haven't announced an engagement - we've been talking for quite awhile, and realized that a lot of the venues were booking up and we have a very tight 3 week period of time when we can get married between law school and when he'll receive his orders to report for TBS.  He asked my parents for their blessing last weekend, and they were delighted, and we told his parents that we want to get married and made sure the date was okay.  So we're planning our wedding!  I was all for calling us engaged now, since we have really made the decision to get married and started planning, but he really wants to buy the ring and have his proposal moment before we call each other "fiance" so I have a few more weeks/months before that happens.  I'll be sure to AW then!

In case you were curious, this will be our venue:
http://ffdjs57.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/carrano-grant-wedding-branford-house-groton-ct-10/

Anniversary

Re: Venue Advice!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats! Your venue is gorgeous!
    Clearly you've already got the biggies covered. You didn't mention this above (although I'm guessing you already asked) ask for a military discount in addition to the clause.  I would also ask if you can supply your own alcohol since he can probably get it on his base tax free, this will save you a huge chunk of change! Those are the only really military ones that I can think of.

Other things that I asked about were the amount of rental time (I wanted at least 5 hours), setup and clean up requirements & if they charge you extra for them to do it,  decor restrictions (like open candles, etc) Caterer restrictions - if they have one you must use or if you can have anyone you want, what the overall fee includes, and if they have any special packages. If you're having both your ceremony and reception there it will make logistics so much easier! So you'd also want to ask if there is space for both of you to get ready there.

And finally ask if there will be any other events there on your day. That way if there are you can make sure it won't effect you guys and so you can make sure your guests are directed to the right place! I heard a horror story about half of one couples guests ending up in the wrong reception for the 1st half of cocktail hour haha.

Good luck! Hopefully this helps & you don't feel like I jusp dumped too much info on you!
    Our baby! image Sadie
    Anniversary
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Yep, only one event, 10 hour rental period, any caterer, no major restrictions, no extra charges for ceremony or anything.  I think we've got most of that covered!  Phew, now I'm not feeling like I might have missed something.

We're bringing our own alcohol, but our family friends own a liquor store, so we're getting it better than tax-free - we're getting it at cost!  And they don't offer a military discount, though I did ask, but the price is more than fair.  It's less than 1/3 of comparable places in the region, with much more time!

Anniversary

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think you are on the right track.  I would ask how much time you are alloted for set up and clean up.  I would also ask if there are any cleaning fees or any other extra fees involved. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is connected to a Civic Center which is being renovated, so I had lots of questions on that project and how it related to us.

I had to get my planning book for more questions I asked. I booked mine ages ago!

-Do they provide tables, chairs, linens, china and glassware?
    -Is there a choice of style for anhy of the above?
    -If tables are provided: How many guests per table?
    -How does the flow work if more than one room/area is used?
    -Are other spacec (garden, terraces, rooms is that mega mansion!) accessible to guests?
    - Are there additional charges for the use of other spaces?
    -Are any spaces off-limits to guests?
    -Is there an on-site coordinator? (That will be there for your wedding?- The one I have been working with for the last yr doesn't work wknds, so I started working with the girl that will be there the day of)
    -Will he/she or someone else be there on the wedding day to accept deliveries and ensure that all other details run smoothly?
    -Can we visit the site during another event to see the space set up?
    -Does the facility have any decorations we can us?
    -What is the parking capacity?
    -Is the parking are located close to the site's entrance?
    -Is valet parking offered?
    -Do you have liability insurance? What are we responsible for?
    -Are shuttles available? (its nice to use them to bring guests back to your hotel blocks)

those are just a few ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards