North Carolina

Allergic to my wedding bands =(

Evidently I cannot wear white gold. Unfortunately, I have learned this after my wedding. I talked to my jeweler and they said that there was nothing that could be done (as in a coating or something). She said it could be dipped in Rhodium (sp?) but that I would probably be allergic to that too. We went to Helzberg and they didn't have a large selection of platinum wedding bands (my e-ring is platinum).

Do y'all have any suggestions? I've been told to put clear fingernail polish on the inside, but to me, that isn't a long term solution to jewelry I will wear everyday for the rest of my life. 
TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.
Missed m/c discovered 2/20/12 (8w1d). D&C 2/23/12
Photobucket [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Allergic to my wedding bands =(

• krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    could you look elsewhere for a similar platinum band?
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a platinum ring. What about Diamonds Direct? My e-ring came from there. Their prices are reasonable. otherwise you could see what's online.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I feel your pain re: wearing white gold. My e-ring and band are platinum for that reason. I couldn't find a band that complemented my e-ring in stores so we ended up using a small family owned jewelry store in Clayton (at I40/Hwy42) to have one custom molded (I wanted a flush fit). IMO, they did a fantastic job and the price was very reasonable. Have you looked at any stores besides Helzburg or online at sites like BlueNile?
  • allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, it may come to that but I would rather exchange mine if I could, for financial reasons. 
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.

• allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't looked elsewhere, but I will try DD and Blue Nile. Thanks ladies!

• krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whiteflash.com is where my rings are from, they have really great prices and great customer service! :)  good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    Are you allergic to nickel in general?  Do you have problems with nickel in earrings and such?  Nickel is an alloy they typically will put in a 14kt white gold band or any white gold jewelry.  If you are sensitive to it, then there's your issue.  They also use palladium as an alloy as well in white gold.

Instead of white gold with nickel, you could get a palladium or a platinum band.  That would be your long term solution.  I think the rhodium plating would help if you are allergic to nickel, but it would be a temporary fix.  Even if you have a white gold band, I actually would suggest to have your band rhodium plated every so often, because white gold does get that yellow tint over time. 

Also, my mom would get red and itchy under her rings, but she is not allergic to gold or white gold.  It was soap getting trapped under her rings when she washed her hands, and it would just irritate her skin.

Hope this helps!  I am not a jeweler by no means, but this is from my understanding from a friend who is one.
  • edited December 2011
    try jareds they have a huge selection and can even customize...plus they have layaway :)
  • edited December 2011
    I got my band off of ebay - great price and its a great band/
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • edited December 2011

That sucks!! Frown That's why i went with platinum for my bands, I KNEW I'd probably have a problem with allergies and gold. Anyway, here's what I would do, I read on the Charlotte Observer on Monday that gold prices are at an all-time high. People are selling their gold stuff left and right. Take your gold over to one of the local places that are buying it (I think... Reed's of South Park? And Village Jewelry in Kannapolis?) and sell it, then take the proceeds and buy something platinum. You can get great deals and pay NO sales tax at whiteflash.com, jamesallen.com, bluenile.com... I got my e-ring from knox jewelers of minneapolis, they have a physical store and a website, they have VERY creative designs. I got my band from Diamonds Direct and they were fabulous, they have a huge inventory and even if you see a band that you want to change around, they will do that. The band I chose originally was an eternity band with diamonds all around, but I asked if they could re-do it with diamonds only on half of the band. They also matched it so that the shank is exactly that of my e-ring so they are comfy to wear together.  I actually have a 10% coupon I'd be happy to give you if you chose to work with them.  HTH!

• edited December 2011
    OH and PS, one more thing, I think your jeweler is incorrect about the rhodium dipping, because white gold is just yellow gold already dipped in rhodium. So if you're having allergic reactions now to yellow gold dipped in rhodium, what makes them think that re-dipping a new ring is going to help? Hrmmm!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards