Delaware

Good Jewelers in Delware - Wilmington Area???

My Fiance and I are begning our search for wedding bands (plus I'm looking for a new setting for the stone in my current ring).  We are new to the Delaware area and definitely want to buy our rings here...tax free!!  We checked out Robin's diamonds the other day, but I felt like they didn't have a great selection and weren't really willing to work with us.  Any suggestions for great Jewelers in the area??  Not looking for a Zales or something you find in the mall....

THANKS!

Re: Good Jewelers in Delware - Wilmington Area???

• edited December 2011
    Minster's Jewelers (in Wilmington, not in Newark).  Will and Kelly are both jewelers, and if they can't get it, they will make it for you.  Kelly custom designs jewelry all the time.  Their pricing is excellent, and they have many options in-store to begin with (when we started looking for FI's ring, he stopped in one day real quick and asked what they had for titanium and tungsten bands...and they pulled out 3+ trays of different bands).  The selection and skill level is far beyond anything you will see at Zales.

If Minister's doesn't work out for you, then I also suggest A.R. Morris.  My dad has been going there for years, and always buys any jewelry from there.  They have two locations, but he always deals with the one in the city (on Market St, a block up from Minster's, LOL).  They have been around for many, many years (over 100, I think), and are well known and respected in the community.

Good luck!  Let us know where you end up heading!  Also, introduce yourself, and tell us about yourself, your FI, your engagement, when your wedding is and what kind of wedding you want!  These girls are awesome, and they will not only help you find what suits your needs best, but usually they will find/suggest the best priced place to go, too :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your quick response! I work at DuPont so I literally walk right by both of those places everyday!  Never noticed because the area is not so nice...but I'll take your word for it and check them out.
  • edited December 2011
    Market Street area is okay.  There are alot of businesses in that area (my FI's family business included) that won't let bad things happen in that particular strip of town.
  • JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good choice on not going to Zales or something like that. I got my ring a Littman Jewelers at the mall. So far, I haven't had a bad experince.
    But....

My FSIL got her rings from Gordons in Prices Corner shopping center. She had everything done there for the past few years as far as cleanings and repairs. They wound up closing down and she didn't know it. One of her diamonds fell out of her ring and she went to get it fixed, realized they had closed down so wound up going to the location at Christiana Mall. They told her that they had no record of any of her previous visits because the store shut down and they were not associated with the store. She lost some of her receipts from her previous visits so they told her she had to pay for the repair.  She wound up having to wait almost a month to get her ring back and after hours of phone conversations with corporate she wound up not having to pay for it. So just beware when you go to a place to ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PAPERWORK AND RECEIPTS!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    I second, third, and fourth MInsters in Wilmington.   WIll and Kelly are AMAZING people.  That's where FI got my e-ring, and they were amazing to him.  And when I went to meet him when we had the ring sized, they were the nicest people.  They were recommended by my boss and my FI's best friend.  That's pretty much the only place that we'll go.

I've had a bad experience at Robbins before.  But I do like Van Scoy's.  Kurt Van Scoy is a nice, honest guy.  That would be my second recommendation, but I still say Minsters.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe Carl Dubouet.  I know that is spelled wrong...
  • edited December 2011
    Doubet
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • elijon090311elijon090311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting our wedding bands at Continental Jewelers on Silverside Rd. in Wilmington. Paul Cohen is one of the owners and he is amazing! He knows so much about jewelry, evertime we meet with him I'm just absolutely amazed by his work ethic and talent. He actually created my engagement ring. All of his jewelry is high quality and can be customized to satify your wishes. Paul Cohen loves designing jewelry and he loves his clients, I promise you will not be disappointed if you set an appointment with him. We found him because of my fiance's parents who will only purchase jewelry from Paul. I'm glad we listened to their advise and chose Continental Jewelers. 

Good luck :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking for something custom I highly recommend John Cattermole. He does an amazing job and can do pretty much anything you want. He has a small office across from Public House on Market Street but the best way to get in touch with him is through his website www.johncattermole.com

He created my e-ring for my fi, who I'm sure had little to no idea of what I even wanted! It's AMAZING and I get compliments on it everywhere I go because it's so different and so beautiful. I'm working with him right now on a wedding band just as unique to go with it.

GREAT customer service, and though you'd have to talk to my fi about it, pretty good prices I hear.
  • edited December 2011
    After what seemed like a gazillion visits to all the local stores and not findng what I wanted, we wnet to Philly, to jewelers row (you can google for exact location, and its a few blocks of jewelry stores) I ended up getting exactly what I wanted made for me.  My wedding band i almost a carat w/ great stones for much less then 1/2 carat rings I was seeing in DE.
    To avoid tax, have it shipped to your house (they insured it and all, and of course I had to sign for it). 
    Also, if you do go, know you can bargin with them... We got at least 20% taken off the original quote.
  • edited December 2011
    Well well, look who made an appearance :)
  • edited December 2011
    brit! i miss u!  u never answer my emails :(
  • edited December 2011
    What emails?!  I check it every day, I haven't gotten any!
  • edited December 2011
    ive emailed a few times and sent at least 2 fb messages... its been over the last 6 months or so.

how r u chicky?  Your getting so close!  How r u feeling?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing okay.  It's less than 50 days, so of course all hell is breaking loose.  Health wise, the stim is doing wonders.  I am still in "recovery" mode, so I can't drive and I still have some scar pain (I have a 4 in scar on my spine and a 3 in scar on my left upper butt), but in terms of the chronic pain it's working beautifully (I am actually charging up right now- I have to do it every week, and it's a fun game to play, "find the battery in the butt with the external charger").  I had my first dress fitting, and that went wonderfully (we went with Sophia in Independence Mall; she did something spectacular to my train for the bustle, and I love it!), my next fitting is the 8th.  Now it's just getting the details taken care of- which of course can be a challenge when I can't drive and all that.   It seems the closer I get, the more "details" pop up!

How are you?!  How is the new job?!
  • edited December 2011
    Im glad your surgery went well, and your feeling better...  I know its crappy now, but in the end it is worth it!   I know youll be feeling muchbetter for the wedding :)  I cant believe its coming up so fast... and if you think 50 days is bad, 2 weeks out is th absolute worst!  From day 14-2 days before, i felt like i told all my vendors all the details I had told them for the prior 2 years that no one listened to lol

Do u have any pics of your dress??

Im doing well, been so busy this summer... job sucks, but thats a story for off line :)

its almost our 1 year anniversary!  I cant believe how fast it went!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG you're right!  It seems like just yesterday we were posing with candy cigarettes :)

No pics (I forgot to take them at the first fitting), but I will definitely have some when I go to the next fitting.  The dress fit perfectly except for the sleeves (cap sleeves) and the bustle, so I got really lucky.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was done at that fitting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards