October 2012 Weddings

anyone being snippy with you?

Is anyone giving you hell yet about your date being "too far away"?

If so how are you dealing with this?

I keep telling people that I would like to take things slow and do things right so we don't put ourselves in a bind and have to drop thousands of dollars at once and start our marriage tetering into debt.

Re: anyone being snippy with you?

• i know you you feel. sometimes i get the confused "why are you waiting sooo long?" reaction when i tell people we are getting married oct 2012, especially because my FI and i have been together for so long. i always respond with the same answer "WEDDINGS ARE EXPENSIVE!" then go on to explain how we both want this to be the wedding of our dreams, with all of our friends and family in attendance (225+), and how we are paying for the majority of the wedding by ourselves. i really hate to explain the financial aspects of it all with other people, but it usually seems to be the only way to make them understand our decision to wait. 
  • I am glad that I am not the only one in this situation! Recently my FI and I had to suffer thru a speech by a family friend on how we are "postponing our lives." I really just dont think people understand how much weddings cost and also that they take a long time to plan. We are paying for the entire wedding ourselves and do not want to start our marriage in debt, therefore we figure a two year engagement will assist with this. Also, our venue books 1.5-2 years out...oh well. I usually just grin and bear it---and then come vent here! hahah

• i am getting snippy comments from EVERYONE as well.  Its almost gotten to the point where i was to just scream at them and say 'well if you want us to move up the date so bad, why dont you contribute to the cost then?'    but ive been good and just explain that we need time to save up so that we can have the wedding of our dreams as well as an amazing honeymoon.  i dont think the older generation understand that wedding costs have quadrouplled since they got married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh yes, people all of the time act like they can't believe we're waiting so long to get married. Usually I just tell people, "That's just what we want." I can't believe how rude some people are about it...it isn't anyone else's business but mine and my FI!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I can relate! We chose October 13, 2012 and there are many people who don't understand why we're waiting so long. I'm finishing school and will be done in May of 2012. I'd rather not be trying to finish school, plan the wedding, and get married all at once. Plus my fiance isn't in the same town as I am right now. He's finishing his schooling as well and will be back in May 2011. I don't want to plan things with him far away. Like everyone else, we're also trying to save up money so that we don't enter our marriage in debt. It also takes at LEAST a year to plan a wedding (booking, getting invites, dresses, etc). So you aren't alone! And don't think you're crazy for waiting longer than "usual". Do what is right for you! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I tell people that it's in October of '12, the usual reaction is, "Oh...wow! That's a ways away"  No duh!   Most don't seem to have an opinion other than it seems like a long time to wait.  There are a few people that have kind of brushed it off like it's not really happening because it's so far away...kind of like, "Oh, isn't she cute?! Look at her trying to plan a wedding two years away; adorable!"   That really irks me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I swear one of these days I am going to record the speech on my phone and play it back to everyone that gives me hell. Excuse me if I don't want to spend a whole year doing nothing but irritating the hell out of my FI on a daily basis, ripping my hair out from stress, maxing out credit cards and turning into a T Total Biotch. I would like to take my time , actually afford what I am doing, enjoy the one I love and look forward to our day instead of waiting for it to just be over...
  • Don't feel bad C4H people are constantly doing that to me! Trying to give me a gizzillion year old wedding stuff. No thank you I don't want your garter from the 1950s! >.<
  • lolol hand-me-down garter?! gross :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with all of you and just want to give a big "Amen!" :-)  I get panicky if I have to move out of an apartment on anything but my own sweet time.  I like to do things my way; not in a Bridezilla way, but I like to know things are done right, so I usually do them myself.  That being said, I need to be comfortable with all of the decisions we're making as well as having the time to pay for everything.  Having all of this time to do research will pay off in the long run, I think.  Not to mention, I'm able to make a decision one minute as far as what I care about, and then given a week on it... I decide it's really not all that important to me.  I just like to be organized and doing things on my own time.  My mom always said I liked to putter around in the mornings.  I guess I've just now extended that to wedding planning. :-)
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards