Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

No Kids Under 5

My fiance and I have decided that we would like to have no children under 5 years old at our wedding/reception. I am not sure how/where to let guests know of this rule and how to mention it kindly. We know that some people will not agree with this and may get upset, but is there a way to nicely say that they are invited, but their young children are not?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: No Kids Under 5

• Options
    See FAQ link above.

Also, how are you going to handle the family that has a 7 year old and one under 5?  Age cutoffs are messier than say family only cut offs.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-under-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8f3b27d6-c327-4f8a-9ce6-e68a7bf58d41Post:c6795cf1-81a0-4f3e-9af3-45c427f0b4ed">No Kids Under 5</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have decided that we would like to have no children under 5 years old at our wedding/reception. I am not sure how/where to let guests know of this rule and how to mention it kindly. We know that some people will not agree with this and may get upset, but is there a way to nicely say that they are invited, but their young children are not?
    Posted by kathyandphil[/QUOTE]
    And calling it a rule is kind of ridiculous.  It's a wedding not school.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    We only have one couple that that has two kids with one above the cut off and one below. They have already told us they are getting a sitter for both of their boys and when we mentioned it to them (they are really good friends of ours) they understood.

I saw the FAQ sheet and was unsure if we are to put it on our website as well or if that is unacceptable. We don't want to make anyone too upset, but we know there will be at least one person upset and we would like to soften the blow as much as possible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you know one person in particular will be upset, talk to that person now rather than waiting for invitations to go out.  Give them the heads up early that you guys have decided to have no kids under 5 and that you hope she can still come and understands.  Then when invitations go out, address them to exactly those who are invited.  You can put something about the no kids under 5 on your wedding website, but I'm not really convinced that all guests read or use wedding websites so be sure to address your invitations appropriately and spread the word to those with kids under 5 between now and then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards