South Asian Weddings

What trays/thalis/accesories do I need for the vidhi and the actual ceremony?

I haven't really thought about this, but I now realize I do not have any accessories for any of the religious ceremonies!

What should I get, and also where can I find them?

Re: What trays/thalis/accesories do I need for the vidhi and the actual ceremony?

• edited December 2011
    Our pandit gave us a pretty exhaustive list of what we would need for all the different ceremonies. Do you think you can ask him?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second asking a pandit!   They will know the certain customs that are associated with what you believe in...whether you are from the north or the south of India, as there are different customs, and ceremonies.

Also suprisingly, if you don't have an Indian store handy, some of the items you can find at an Asian store that carries Indian products:

For a vedic havan:

- a thali that is large enough to house the following items - brass, or silver like this... they have a few on this website, to give an idea..

http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/dispProduct.php?puja-thali--silver&prodId=881

- Ghee in offering container with spoon
    - Samagri in offering container with spoon
    - Camphor
    - Dhoop (fruit wood) for the kund (which sits inside the vidhi) - some temples use a low burning type of wood, to minimize the flames in the kund
    - fresh flowers (might need a separate thali for this)
    - filtered water for sprinkling water to the four directions, and taking blessings in havan water vessels,with spoons
    - cotton balls
    - diyas (candles)
    - fresh mango leaves
    - a small amount of prasad including fruits such as bananas and apples
    etc
    - haldi
    - sindoor
    - white sheets, preferably padded underneath
    - there must be more that I'm forgetting

Puffed rice, and a rice container that is like a tray made of a thatched material

If it's a South Indian wedding - this document shows a pretty good illustration:
    http://ebookbrowse.com/havan-pooja-preparation-english-pdf-d61178732

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards