Hawaii
Options

Chuppah

Is a chuppah a religious structure?  I see a lot of couples opt for one, especially for a beach or garden wedding.  It's a nice touch but wondered what the deal is with that and if I should have one or go without.   

Re: Chuppah

• Options
    They do come from Jewish weddings.  I think they represent the new roof the couple will live under together, but I could be wrong.  I don't see why you couldn't use something similar anyway.  If you don't want a religious aspect, create one as an arch type or similar structure.  But I'm not Jewish and don't know if some would be offended, so maybe someone else is more knowledgable

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I love the look of them but we aren't jewish, we rented a bamboo arch & added white fabric-i loved it! Nobody seemed offended or said anything.
  • Options
    We didn't have one. We got married at Olowalu Plantation and the setting is so beautiful we didn't want anything to obstruct the view. I don't think you can place them on the beaches in Hawaii though. I think those have to be something people hold on each side, but can't be planted in the ground. Where are you getting married? 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_chuppah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:7d1c93cd-e5a1-41ee-a888-a79be56a1dbaPost:184d0183-0b0c-47b6-8213-50cffbbc9989">Re: Chuppah</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't have one. We got married at Olowalu Plantation and the setting is so beautiful we didn't want anything to obstruct the view. I don't think you can place them on the beaches in Hawaii though. I think those have to be something people hold on each side, but can't be planted in the ground. Where are you getting married? 
    Posted by lorena224[/QUOTE]

We will be @ Olowalu too.  I think I am going to do without it.  Thanks for you input =)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_chuppah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:7d1c93cd-e5a1-41ee-a888-a79be56a1dbaPost:184d0183-0b0c-47b6-8213-50cffbbc9989">Re: Chuppah</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't have one. We got married at Olowalu Plantation and <strong>the setting is so beautiful we didn't want anything to obstruct the view</strong>. I don't think you can place them on the beaches in Hawaii though. I think those have to be something people hold on each side, but can't be planted in the ground. Where are you getting married? 
    Posted by lorena224[/QUOTE]

This.

I think some florists try to upsell you on them, in part just to sell something else. If you're on a budget, you don't need it. Hawaii is GORGEOUS.

If you like it and have the budget for it, go for it. They're really pretty. They do come from Jewish tradition but are so pretty and so common at outdoor weddings, I don't think people will be offended.
  • Options
    We had a bamboo arch at Olowalu for our ceremony, and it was a really great focal point that just added to the already beautiful scenery. The white fabric floating in the breeze was dreamy and just seemed really tropical. I have seen brides add strings of shells along with the fabric, and it looks amazing.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    cigallcigall member
    First Comment
    The chuppah is a tradition of Jewish weddings, but many couples of every religion are incorporating it into their wedding ceremony, because they can be gorgeous!!  Here is some inspiration for chuppah designs - mine is the first photo - white fabric with lights at the base and flowers lining the top. http://www.mazelmoments.com/blog/4307/chuppahs-traditional-modern-unique-huppahs/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards