North Carolina-Outer Banks

Renting a NON Event home?

My fiancee and I just came back from the OBX, trying to find a venue and I was curious if anyone has rented a non event home and had a successful wedding? Do the companies check? I've been told to make sure that the guests don't park on the road, but nothing that seems like we still wouldn't be able to rent a non event home and have the reception there. Has anyone ever done this? The wedding size would be anywhere from 50-75, but we are hoping for a bit smaller turn out, so more on the 50 side. I appreciate any help/advice on this! Thanks so much!

Re: Renting a NON Event home?

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Personally I wouldn't chance it.  I had 45 guests and I didn't want to take the risk in getting kicked out because we had an event in a non event home.  If you were having 10-20 guests that might be different because it might look like they were all staying in the home, but with 50-75 there is no way thats happening.  The realty company I worked with knew we were having a wedding so we didn't even look at non-event homes.   
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • cbowen32cbowen32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cwojciechowski,

Curious as to what venues you checked-out while down in the OBX?

Thanks for the help!
  • edited December 2011
    We were looking at the house Absolute Elegance, Cinco Palmas, the 108 Budleigh House for the reception site and we did a huge search of other homes. We finally just decided on an event home with Carolina Design Realty. We are doing a beach ceremony and reception at the house. We also considered the Watermen's Retreat down in Waves. That was going to be our next choice if this house didn't work out. Hope this helps some!
  • edited December 2011

cwojciechowski- How did you likeAbsolute Elegance?? That is one of the homes I was going to look at as well. Any info about the house would be greatly apprecicated!!!! Thanks!!

Stacy
  • edited December 2011
    It was beautiful! Would have been perfect but that company was hard to work with. We asked if they would be willing to mention to the renters who got first dibs that we were looking to get married there that same week next year, and they wouldn't do it. The lady told me it was so unprofessional. It wasn't a policy that they couldn't she just wouldnt. I was really upset about it, but the house itself, gorgeous. Would be perfect for a wedding, there is so much room in the back with the yard and even around the pool. Then behind the gate there is still a good bit of room and in the house its beautiful! Can you tell this was the house I had my heart set on.. but we ended up having to find another and chose Flight of Fantasy (#742) on Carolina Designs Realty. Best of luck with renting the house, it really is gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    I was debating over the same exact thing.  Try www.outerbanksvacations.com This is the only rental company I found that does not charge an event fee.  There is a $1,000 refundable security deposit but that's it. 
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

lindsaystief is correct about Seaside Vacations (outerbanksvacations.com) being the only rental co. that does NOT charge an event fee.  I have rented Big Mama's for May of 2011....I chose South Nags Head b/c that is where I have vacationed ever since I was a child and even though Duck and Corolla are gorgeous, neither are "my" area of OBX.  We are doing an OF ceremony and we are renting a white tent for the reception which is being draped in white lights everywhere.  Cant wait!!

• JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    even if you're turn out is closer to 50 than 75 the "event home" and fee helps with the extra traffic the house will have.
    wouldnt' you rather the rental office know you were having an event then for them to find out and you get kicked out of the house!  its better to be safe then to be sorry, i wouldn't gamble with your wedding like that.
    imageAnniversary
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I agree with JenO24, dont take a chance on the biggest day of your life!

• edited December 2011
    We already booked an event home. We are going with Flight of Fantasy in Corolla. Ended up being perfect for what we wanted after not being able to get the Absolute Elegance house. 
  • MGreggBBlaireMGreggBBlaire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did rent a non- event home to save some money.  My mother in law had asked if they minded if all the people staying at the beach (50) could come over for kareoke and pizza one night and it was okayed.  We stayed in "Big Sea."  I can say that we had rented 4 houses on that development/ road so we didn't have a car issue, but if you can park on your lot and maybe do a "shuttle" type of thing from the closest parking lot (store, beach, whatever) then there shouldn't be an issue.
  • MGreggBBlaireMGreggBBlaire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By the way - the house was gorgeous - huge dining, kitchen and living area with cathedral ceilings!  Sleeps 20, so what was fifty with barefeet when you spread out over the grounds, pool and all the amazing decks!  I'd do it again.   And I hope you chose a quieter area with deep width of beaches (like Corolla) - I recommend 5:00ish but check the tides and the winds.  You might have to swith bride and groom sides to prevent the hair from being in your face through the whole ceremony.  Daniel and Kate Pullen were on top of things and helped with the planning, Hurricane Danny and all else considered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards