Christian Weddings
Options

First names or screen names?

Lately I have been trying to address people on this board by their first name if I can because addressing someone as a screen name seems so impersonal. But, I don't want to make people share their first names because I know that you have to be careful what you share online. So my question is- do you girls prefer that I say, "Thanks Sally" or "Thanks "weddingwoman321"?

Re: First names or screen names?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha- totally made up those names, btw- random, I know. 
  • Options
    uneek1323uneek1323 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If someone has their profile set to private, I would imagine they don't want people to know their name. Otherwise, anyone can come here and click on SN's and see people's first names.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I prefer Emily.  I wish I had thought of that when I signed up for TK, but I didn't even know the boards existed...or that I would end up posting on them regularly.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I generally only use real names if someone has used it on the board.  If someone refers to themselves and fi/H as their first name, then I will too.  If they don't do that, I will refer to them as screen name, even though I could theoretically click on their profile to see their name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can call me Shoes, or Cathy is fine too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can call me Joyful, though calling me by my name wouldn't be much different :)
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm okay with Sarah. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would find it a little weird if someone on TK called me by first name unless I had told them what it was. I have mentioned it a few times on here, but not a lot. I'd prefer my SN, but that is just me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My first name is in my screen name already so it doesn't make too much difference to me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MrsTucker2011MrsTucker2011 member
    edited December 2011
    I'd prefer my screen name. If I wanted it to be my real name, I would've put it in there. Besides, that's what FB is for IMO. ;)
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I prefer my FN, which is whyit's in my SN :) I think it's weird getting advice from "strangers without faces"
    Bio!
    Updated 8/9!
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've gotten used to being called Summer, but I know my name is in my bio which is in my siggy, plus I've met a bunch of the girls on my local in real life at G2G's and at a bridal fashion show so they usually address me by my first name, and we're also Facebook friends. So either or doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm okay with either. It's kind of cool to be called az or dancer or whatever, but you can also call me Julie. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Either b2b, bridetobe, or Beth.  I don't care lol.

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind being called by my FN.  Like someone else said, it's in my profile.  Either is fine (SN or FN).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Makes no difference to me, although I know from time to time on here I have used both SN and names depending on if I actually know the real name or not.  I think using the SN can be a "safer" way to go, unless people specifically say to use their name.  :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly answer to both. I made up the word "kalizoomba" in middle school - and since then, i've had a few friends who call me "Kali" considering it's my username for everything, I'm pretty used to it. FI just started calling me Kali a few weeks ago too.

So either Tiffany  or Kali is fine
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the preferences! I understand those of you who don't want to be called by your first name because these are public boards- one of the reasons why I don't have any pictures of my face on here. I just figured I'd ask so as to not offend anyone. 

As for me, part of my name is in my sn anyway- so it doesn't matter to me either! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My name is Amanda if you want to call me that.  It's in my sig, so not too private, lol.  A lot of people call me Sessions, which will be my new last name, and I've kinda grown fond of it, lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya..you can call me lilies, or amongthelilies, or Monica. 

mine and my FI's name is in my Sig...so i don't mind. (: 
  • Options
    twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can call me Twix or Erin....I don't care either way!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards