Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Wine Registry

My fiance and I are big foodies, I've been in the restaurant industry since i was 14 and have found a love of wine that I share with my fiance.  We are considering a wine registry in conjunction with a traditional registry.  Has anyone done this? Have any do's or don'ts?

Re: Wine Registry

• Options
    That is a FANTASTIC idea!  Never heard of one, but I wonder if you can set one up through your local liquor store or through a wine club (like the wall street journal wine club).
  • Options
    That sounds amazing. I wish I could have done that! Let us know how it goes. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I wish we had thought of this/known how to do one. We love wine and I also love giving wine/alcohol as gifts (we actually did get some wine baskets for shower/wedding gifts). I think it's a great idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    This sounds like a great idea!  I wish we could have done something like this, but with the draconian alcohol shipping rules in my state, it probably wouldn't have been an option.

I would be very mindful about price points.  There's no need to register for 2 buck chuck, having nothing under $30-$40 bottle might be a huge turn off to people who aren't as into nice wines.  
  • Options
    Wow, what an awesome idea.  Wish I had thought about this.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wine-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3aa49c2b-3146-4b97-a4a4-21216167639bPost:96bcc8e8-a9ef-474a-b6cd-f04649f96f22">Re: Wine Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to say, I'm completely shocked and taken aback that a group of women who often use the phrase "no one wants to pay for your sex fest vacation," would endorse a couple asking for booze outright.  Where's the logic here?
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>What does a honeymoon have to do with wine?</div>
  • Options
    My objections to honeymoon registries have nothing to do with not wanting to pay for someone's sex fest.  I find nothing objectionable about a wine registry.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wine-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3aa49c2b-3146-4b97-a4a4-21216167639bPost:f5901790-29f2-4e25-b03e-96433e3cc442">Re: Wine Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wine Registry : Ditto. If a guest buys something from a honeymoon registry the couple gets a check minus a service fee. If a guest buys something from a wine registry the couple gets a bottle of wine. I dislike honeymoon registries because they are deceptive to guests and cheat giver and receiver out of service fees.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.  And speaking personally, what I like about the idea of registries in general is getting an idea of what sorts of things the couple likes.  Registries are a suggestion and people are fine to buy off the registry.  A wine registry fulfills those requirements for me - guests can choose to buy exactly what's on the registry or they can use the registry to see that they like full bodied reds and white ports (or whatever) and get them something that's off the registry but inspired by their taste.

• Options
    I don't really see how registering for wine (which I view as the same as registering for any item for your house) is anywhere near the same as a HM registry, which is just registering for cash. Not the same at all. And I never object to HM registries as funding a "sex fest." I object because they take a cut of the cash, are deceitful to guests, and are just registering for money. None of those things applies to a wine registry at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    OP, to answer your question it depends on the state.  Williams Sonoma has a wine registry, but some states won't permit wine to be shipped directly to individuals - they may only ship to grocery stores or liquor stores.  We looked into it, but GA, AL, and TN (all are states where I or FI live or have family) only allow wine to be shipped to stores.  

Check out Williams Sonoma and see if your state is on the permitted list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lauralaurlauralaur member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I equate wine to a serving tray or wine glasses, both of which allow a couple to properly host guests in their home. My MIL always serves wine in her home, so buying her a bottle could be for her and her husband, or for the next time they have guests over. If the couple are wine lovers or have family and friends who are, then to me a well-stocked wine cabinet is just as necessary to them as a set of fine china or good quality flatware. You wouldn't balk at buying them a wine rack if requested on their registry, would you?

That's my $0.02 anyway.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Wine Registry:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Wine Registry: I'm comparing a wine registry to a honeymoon registry. Both are tacky and inappropriate for similar reasons. Just interchange 'sex fest' with 'booze fest.' Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, I don't buy it. A bottle of wine turns it into a "booze fest", really? I can see how some guests might opt to buy off of a Macys registry instead of a wine registry, which is fine, but I don't see it as crass or offensive.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    FANTASTIC idea!!  Wish I saw this before my shower ;)

I have seen showers were guests have done wine in a really cute way - they would purchase a basket and load it with a few wines.  Each wine bottle had a card attached that read when they should drink the bottle along with a cute message (i.e. night before the wedding, first year together, after the first fight/makeup, baby - clearly the husband would only drink that bottle, etc).  
  • Options
    For the record, i HATE the 'approrpiate' vs 'innappropriate' registry fight.

If you know your family and your guests, and you know that they're okay with your choices, then DO IT.  For what its worth, I love the wine idea (of course, i make and sell wine charms, so clearly that's right up my alley!).  Obviously it's not very traditional, and I would suggest that you still have plenty of other options for guests to choose from in case they're uncomfortable with purchasing or shipping wine.
    although its another 'knot no no'.... gift cards might not be a bad idea either.  we were redoing a kitchen during our wedding, and the home improvement gift cards we registered for were a lifesaver!  not to mention our family enjoyed writing things like "good luck with the new kitchen" and such. it was fun for them to feel a part of something that was important to hubby and I.

so, i reiterate.  if it's something thats totally YOU, and your family understands...then go for it =)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wine-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3aa49c2b-3146-4b97-a4a4-21216167639bPost:4a4c9c1b-c801-4d0f-9cea-db14a487568f">Re: Wine Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]FANTASTIC idea!!  Wish I saw this before my shower ;) I have seen showers were guests have done wine in a really cute way - they would purchase a basket and load it with a few wines.  Each wine bottle had a card attached that read when they should drink the bottle along with a cute message (i.e. night before the wedding, first year together, after the first fight/makeup, baby - clearly the husband would only drink that bottle, etc).  
    Posted by Ctrossello[/QUOTE]

my friends did this at my bridal shower!  each wine was themed too ('barefoot' wine was for when i needed a vacation to the beach, 'naked' brand wine was for...well...newywed activities, 'bi*ch' brand was for hubby when i was being intolerable. haha)
    it was such a cute idea!
  • Options
    Am I the only one confused about wine is being thrown in with the category of "booze fest"? 

If the couple registered for a bottle of Smirnoff vodka I would side eye, but nice bottles of wine? I would never assume they're going to just got on a bender a chug them! HA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wine-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:3aa49c2b-3146-4b97-a4a4-21216167639bPost:c9eb169b-a704-49e1-ae18-82e224e5fc87">Re: Wine Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one confused about wine is being thrown in with the category of "booze fest"?  If the couple registered for a bottle of Smirnoff vodka I would side eye, but nice bottles of wine? I would never assume they're going to just got on a bender a chug them! HA!
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Not alone. I had the same reaction. Apparently a bottle of wine is too much for some people to handle.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards