Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Help Ideas for 1950's vintage wedding

I need tons of help! Where can I get dresses and tuxs?? How about decorations?? Anyone have any ideas to make it extra unique!?

Thank You!

Re: Help Ideas for 1950's vintage wedding

• Options
    Do you have a specific element from the 1950's that you re most smitten with? Start there.

With attire you can just google "retro wedding dresses" and come up with plenty of choices:
    Unique Vintage
    Posh Girl
    Dolly Couture
    ...there are also seamstresses that would be more than happy to custom make a dress for you if you cannot find one that you like. You can also scour etsy.com for TONS of design ideas for all aspects of you wedding.

Also, check out http://offbeatbride.com/  <--- lots of ideas and info there!

*Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_ideas-1950s-vintage-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:ac9c6fdc-da81-41f7-94e3-39908808906fPost:390da2a5-0cac-41fe-89de-c970f9dbbc61">Help Ideas for 1950's vintage wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need tons of help! Where can I get dresses and tuxs?? How about decorations?? Anyone have any ideas to make it extra unique!? Thank You!
    Posted by bethandjason11[/QUOTE]

What will make your celebration "extra unique" is the choices your fiance and you make and how they're executed, in your style and your own way.  I learned a good lesson from a florist's designer, when I mentioned to her (upon seeing cases of mason jars in their office) that I used to think the use of mason jars in wedding decor was unique until I saw it used over and over again.  She said, "If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say that, I'd be rich!" 

That made me realize, the vast majority of individual ceremony and reception elements -- even those my fiance and I haven't thought of yet -- have been used ad nauseum.  It's a big world out there!  The way <em>we</em>  pull things together will make our celebration unique.  The way<em> we</em>  choose to do things will make our wedding a stand-out affair. 

It will be the same with you.  Go with your heart.  Read lots of books, look at different magazines, pick from different sources and let things blend. Make it reflect your love and make it fun.  Then, you'll have the unique celebration you're in search of.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    I think one of the best ways to tie it all together in a unique way, as pp said, is to have a specific vision in mind. I googled tons of inspiration boards for my wedding theme until I found the elements I loved and a more specific theme to go with. The 1950s were a long decade! You can go sort of general 1950s inspired, or you could go rockabilly or Jackie Kennedy/Grace Kelly inspired. It all depends. Fashion is easy to find. Lots of places like Men's Wearhouse have vintage inspired styles for guys and there are TONS of websites and stores that cater to the ladies.
    image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Luckily, 1950s weddings are probably the easiest to pull off, at the moment.  For some reason, a lot of designers are designing tea-length wedding gowns, so finding something you'll love shouldn't be too hard.  (Easy for me to say.)  

I've posted a lot of links at:

There's more than just '50s info there, so in case you don't have time to look over the page in search of what you specifically need, I'll mention a few specific designers and sites to you:
    StephanieJamesCouture.com

Justin Alexander (his style #8465 is GORGEOUS)

Candy Anthony (located in England, where she's very famous for '50s looks)

BettiePageClothing.com (not wedding gowns, but lots of other '50s-inspired dresses, perhaps for your rehearsal dinner)

David's Bridal (currently has a sweet, simple gown posted at www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Tea-Length-Satin-Gown-with-3D-Floral-Details-WG3165_Bridal-Gowns-Features-Designer-Gowns-Galina  for less than $500)

And as someone else said, DollyCouture.com and unique-vintage.com.

As for tuxedos, you might want to go with a white jacket/black trousers/black bow tie look.  That seems to have been popular in the '50s (as well as other early eras).  In the '50s, men also often wore nice suits in their weddings.  If you opted for that, the men could pair them with vintage '50s ties.  

Here are some vintage '50s wedding photos, to help "inspire" you!

www.weddingspinster.com/Two_Chicago_Weddings,_One_Photographer_%281950s%29.html

(As for "where do you find" 1950s tuxes, I wouldn't worry about that too much.  Modern tuxes look pretty much the same as old-fashioned ones.)

As for ideas for your decor, you might want to look back through prior postings, here on The Knot.  I know this has been discussed before, and should help to get you started.  (If not, of course, just ask us again!)

Hope this helps a little!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards