Texas-Houston

Awkward Guest List Question

What to do about people who assume they're invited, but aren't really invited?

Specifically, a woman my fiance works with assumes that she is invited, and is planning on coming. We didn't send her a save the date or mention it at all, she just assumes. We're not inviting anyone else from his work besides his 2 bosses (my dad is also a high up at his company, and my fiance's bosses are my dad's coworkers and good friends). None of the people he actually hangs out with at work are invited because it's one of those "well we can't just invite one and not invite ALL of them" things. Here's the thing. This coworker thinks that my fiance is the greatest thing to hit the planet, and is the niece of a close family friend (who is invited), however she herself isn't a family friend, she's just been introduced to the family through her uncle. I just don't have anymore room. My list was stretched to begin with, and recently some out of town family has moved back into the state and will have to be invited which already adds another 5 people to my already bloated list. Also I feel awful being forced to invite her, and not being able to invite any of the fiance's real work friends. What should I do?

Re: Awkward Guest List Question

• edited December 2011

I would post this on the E board.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think your fiance should address the issue before she goes out to buy dress, etc. He should simply tell her 'I'm sorry that no employees other than supervisors were invited, there was no room on our guest list".
    TTC Jan 2011, me: 30, DH 32. Unexplained IF. Aug 2012- Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 08/21, IUI 08/22= BFN. Feb 2013: Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 02/20, IUI 02/21= BFN.
  • clane2012clane2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just be upfront and honest. If she mentions it, or if you can bring up how crowded your guest list is, you can tell her how you wanted to invite her and the rest of the coworkers but you are unable to. It might be awkward for a minute, but it will pass. If she's not that great of a friend in the first place it shouldn't matter too much. 
  • edited December 2011
    How did this turn out? Was the coworker understanding?  It is tough to feed that many people!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards