March 2012 Weddings

Who is walking you down the aisle?

Ok, so this is something I've been struggling with since Adam proposed. I have nobody to walk me down the aisle. My dad (whom I was VERY close to) passed away in April. It kills me that he's not gonna be there to share my day with me. My FI's dad and I preeetty much hate each other. So he's not an option either. I doubt he'll even be at the wedding. I'm not close at all to my uncles on my mom's side, and I don't know anybody on my dad's side of the family at all. Most of them have passed away (there was a 16 year age gap between his youngest sibling and him...and health problems were prominant in their family.) I have no brothers...and the only male cousin I have, I haven't seen in 13 years. I'm so stuck.

I know a lot of women have been in similar situations...so I'm just curious who is walking you ladies down the aisle? Maybe someone has some advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Who is walking you down the aisle?

• I'm actually planning on having both of my parents walk me down the aisle.  Have you thought about having your mom walk you?  Or, in my opinion, there is no reason you couldn't walk yourself.  I once saw a bride walk herself half way, and her fiance met her in the middle to walk the rest of the way together.  It was really sweet, sort of a symbol of how they would always meet in the middle. 
    Can't wait to marry my man! October 28, 2011
  • My papa will be walking me down the aisle <3

I'm very sorry that your dad passed. As the PP pointed out, maybe your mother would like to have that honor or start out alone and have your fiancee meet you at the halfway mark.  
    Anniversary
  • I'm not having anyone walk me down the aisle.

Of course, I'm probably going the most untraditional way of getting married and having a DW. So I'm probably the least help with this whole thing.

If you do decide to ask your ex's father, I would clear it with your FI first. I would make sure he is completely comfotable with the idea before even mentioning it to the father.

Or your mom. Either way I think those are good suggestions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • My godfather will be walking me down the isle.  He's always been more of a dad to me than anyone else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My dad also passed away a few years ago, it sucks, I'm so sorry.  :-(

I think I am going to have my dad's best friend/our dear long-time family friend walk me down the aisle.  He is about the most...jolly and magnanimous person you could ever meet, lol :)

My mom offered that my uncle could walk me down, but I'm just not as close to him, no offense to him (he doesn't live nearby).  I know our friend will be tickled pink, and I know my dad would be happy to know that I picked him.

I would say, just skip the father-daughter dance if you aren't comfortable with it.  You don't "have" to do any of that stuff!  I don't think I'll do the dance with our family friend, just have our couple's first dance and that's it.

You could also walk down with your fiance' like together holding hands...I like the "meet in the middle" idea too. :-)
  • Thank you ladies so much...I really appreciate all the ideas and input.

I don't know why, there's something about the meet in the middle idea that just doesn't strike Adam and I. We talked about it, and it just doesn't feel like us, I guess...but the idea of him and I walking down together, I really like. I think it's because we're doing everything else for this day together...and it's just the two of us...so why not walk down together? I like that idea :o) I'll have to talk that one over with him.

If I don't do the father-daughter dance, then I'm gonna have to find something else to do in tribute to my dad. Cause I know that'd be really important and special for my mom, sister and I. And for Adam...because he never got to meet him :o( My family was living in Colorado when Adam and I started seeing each other. They moved up to South Dakota later last year, but right after that is when my dad got so sick and he couldn't travel. I was only able to make it up there once, but it was on short notice because of dad's condition, so Adam couldn't go with...he would have lost his job if he missed too many days. So having that tribute of some kind is really important to me. Any ideas on another kind of tribute I could do?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very sorry to hear your situation. However my 3 young sons will be walking me down the aisle..... Not sure how i will work that out yet tho....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker {He Asked Me, I"M READY}
  • There are some great ideas floating around TK about how to honor lost loved ones.
    Maybe dedicate a song to your father that you and your then-husband dance to? Maybe you and your mom? Mom and then-hubby? Just throwing some things out there for you.

We personally are not doing the dances, so if you go that route, know that it is not an uncommon one. :) Good luck - and know you will make the right decision for your wedding.
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Im so sorry to hear that. my dad all but disowned me so i dont want him walking me down the isle. a lot of me and my friends who have or are getting married are having our best guy friends walk us down the isle
  • My dad passed a number of years ago so I want my cousin to walk me. He was very close to my father and quite a bit older than I am. It will be as close to actually having him there as possible.
    Why does time speed up the closer I get to the wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards