Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photography Etiquette

Any photographers out there: If the engagement session itself but NOT any finished portraits is included in the wedding day price, am I expected to buy a lot of the finished portraits? I wasn't even planning on have a session but it's included...and I won't be able to afford many of the prints at first. Oh, AND the session will involve traveling for the photographer. He's too nice to tell me if he has any expectations so...what might those expectations be?

Re: Photography Etiquette

• varkgirlvarkgirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If it is not included in the package, it is up to you what you want to purchase. The photographer shouldn't have any expectations but will probably be very pleased if you purchase something :) If you are getting a CD/DVD, sometimes it is still better to purchase prints from the photographer because they have access to pro labs with higher quality paper, etc.
    image image PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could use your engagement pics for a custom guest book, for something to put in the signature mat(they often have space for a picture), for table numbers/names, programs, save the dates, all sorts of things. Think beyond pictures on the wall.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photography-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:c1a08714-e977-4643-8265-3b27bf459e81Post:5f98186c-f751-4782-9868-55e77661b719">Re: Photography Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could use your engagement pics for a custom guest book, for something to put in the signature mat(they often have space for a picture), for table numbers/names, programs, save the dates, all sorts of things. Think beyond pictures on the wall.
    Posted by woodfrogs[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I didn't even think of things like that, thanks!

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Ours wasn't included, but was a nominal charge for e-pic shoot. We received all photos from the session as 5x5 prints and thankfully weren't pressured to make any type of purchase beyond that. Ditto the PP in using those shots for other wedding related areas. We used one photo for our engagement announcement and another in our signature mat at the reception.  A lot of photogs like to use the e-pic session as a way to get to know their clients and vice versa. Best of luck!
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photography-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:c1a08714-e977-4643-8265-3b27bf459e81Post:5cec0c28-2274-4331-ab52-585b848c7ff1">Re: Photography Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours wasn't included, but was a nominal charge for e-pic shoot. We received all photos from the session as 5x5 prints and thankfully weren't pressured to make any type of purchase beyond that. Ditto the PP in using those shots for other wedding related areas. We used one photo for our engagement announcement and another in our signature mat at the reception.  A lot of photogs like to use the e-pic session as a way to get to know their clients and vice versa. Best of luck!
    Posted by ~mRm~[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>yup, agreed....  The E Session definitely helps you establish a rapport with your photographer...not to mention, getting some really great shots...  I'm so glad we did.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • steph191steph191 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our E-pics were included in our photo package and we got ALL of the pictures on a CD to do whatever we wanted (this was the only way I would have it). 

You could do as a PP said and use them as a guest book, but more importantly, the engagement session helps you get used to the photographer and being photographed.  My fiancee and I had a blast at ours!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You are not required to purchase anything, a lot of times an engagement session benefits the photographer in that they get to have a chance before the big day to get you comfortable with being in front of the camera and comfortable with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards