September 2012 Weddings

WTF am I supposed to register for?

So FI and I have been together for 12 years. We've lived together for 7 years (holy cow!) and owned our home together for 4 years. I don't really enjoy showers, they're just not my cup of tea. My BFF is insisting on throwing me a shower, and FI's mother wants to throw a shower in her town for her family/friends.

I have no clue what to register for?  We already own most of what a new couple moving in together would register for. 

So far I'm thinking 

- New towels
- New sheets
- Tervis Tumblers (love them!)
- New pillows

I'm sure there are a handful of kitchen items (like new cooking utensils) but aside from that I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

Re: WTF am I supposed to register for?

• HAHA I literally laughed outloud when I saw the title for this post -- I have thought the same thing before plenty of times! We did a honeymoon registry so people can make a gift to our honeymoon since we also have anything and everything we could need. We registered for some new placemats and little things like that just to fill up the registry a little bit. But I know what you mean -- it feels awful registering for things that you dont really want/need just to have a registry! 
    September 2012: May Sig
    Honeymoon Location: Punta Cana, DR
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I LOVE tervis tumbers! They are one of the main things I am excited for on our registry.

Are there any cooking gadgets you ever wish you had? How about new mixing bowls? Oven mitts, kitchen towels, dishrags? Do you still like your everyday dishes? Tablecloths or serving dishes? If there is truly nothing you want/need just tell them so and don't have a shower.
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • Upgrade things like small appliances: better toaster, blender, etc. Decorative items like new picture frames, throw pillows, etc. You can do an amazon registry and register for tools, gardening supplies, hobby items like camping gear.
  • This is why I love TK. You ladies came up with stuff I hadn't thought of! It's definitely going to have to be all small stuff. We literally have nothing substantial left to buy.

FI has this thing about "buying right the first time" so when we bought our house everything we purchased was top of the line. All our small appliances - toasters, coffee maker, kitchen aid, etc. None of it needs replacing. :(

I definitely can do some kitchen towels, mixing bowls (great idea!), and small kitchen utensils.

I wish I'd known earlier he was planning to propose..haha. For Christmas every year we always put house stuff on our list because we have nothing else for our families to buy. As of last Christmas our everyday dishes are complete as well as all the matching serving pieces.

Are gift cards tacky to register for? I mean obviously I'd love for people to give cash, but you just can't ask for that. The next best thing are home depot gift cards. There are lots of house projects we'd love to tackle. :)
  • We registered for a lot of Tervis! We already have several, but I just love them, I want to have some to keep ingarage for deck and we could use some more at the lake too!

We are also going for the replacement matching nicer stuff, as we are also well set up for household things.  Oh and fiestaware, which I'm super excited about.

My favorite registry item we have so far is a new shower curtain!  Bed, Bath & Beyond has a knock off of an Anthropologie one I've wanted FOREVER but will not spen $118 on a friggin shower curtain, so hopefully a friend or family member will spend the $50 tha bbb wants ??

Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We decided to upgrade our bedding as well, I mean realistically its always nice to have new sheets :) lol 
  • Do you have fine china??
  • If you want it, now is the time to register for china/crystal.

We have lived together for over a year, but are registering for new pots/pans/bakeware.  Some of it is wearing out, but none of it is dishwasher safe!  I plan to handwash most things, but its still nice to have the option of the dishwasher.

We are currently also registered for king sized bedding.  We bought the mattress and found bedding we love...I'm just not sure I can wait a year to get it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I do not know if I have been hiding under a rock or something but  what is a Tervis Tumblers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you prefer to have cash/gift cards, keep your registry small.  Most people will get the idea.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wtf-am-supposed-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:615c26b2-3fdf-4cba-8d19-6d5c87bfdfc7Post:acebfe84-3192-4583-941d-c5bda177475c">Re: WTF am I supposed to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not know if I have been hiding under a rock or something but  what is a Tervis Tumblers.
    Posted by npott044[/QUOTE]

<div>They are really popular in Florida. <a href="http://www.tervis.com/" rel="nofollow">CLICKY</a> They are super awesome.</div>
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wtf-am-supposed-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:615c26b2-3fdf-4cba-8d19-6d5c87bfdfc7Post:acebfe84-3192-4583-941d-c5bda177475c">Re: WTF am I supposed to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not know if I have been hiding under a rock or something but  what is a Tervis Tumblers.
    Posted by npott044[/QUOTE]

<div>Only the best thing on the planet! Seriously! They're a brand of cup, but they don't sweat or drip. They now have all sorts of different ones, and now they started making travel tops for them. They're awesome. I drink my coffee in them. :) </div>
  • I think I've seen those at Bed Bath and Beyond! They have a huge section of them. Are they really that great?!
  • I also considered the gift card idea because we have NO room in our apt for stuff from a shower. However, when I asked this question in another forum I was hit over the head by people saying that gift cards are tacky and not acceptable. Whatever. I like all the ideas everyone else here has posted, but if you wanna do GC's just do it.

I had never heard of those tumblers either but they look awesome!
  • We would rather money, but in reality if we get money it will just go to bills and paying down our mortgages.  We own 2 properties that suck the life out of us.

We'll be upgrading what we have, registering for curtains, bedding, items for the laundry room etc.

We've live together for 5 years and are currently using things that were left behind from his ex wife and ex girlfriend.  I cant wait till we can get rid of it all and start fresh.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wtf-am-supposed-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:615c26b2-3fdf-4cba-8d19-6d5c87bfdfc7Post:4782f7e3-1cbd-4879-b908-1199df420d2a">Re: WTF am I supposed to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I've seen those at Bed Bath and Beyond! They have a huge section of them. Are they really that great?!
    Posted by romamor4[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh yes! They are really that great! :) You should get one and try it!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wtf-am-supposed-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:615c26b2-3fdf-4cba-8d19-6d5c87bfdfc7Post:840ed530-2cbc-477c-b1c4-8d7e8aa47ff8">Re: WTF am I supposed to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We would rather money</strong>, but in reality if we get money it will just go to bills and paying down our mortgages.  We own 2 properties that suck the life out of us. We'll be upgrading what we have, registering for curtains, bedding, items for the laundry room etc. We've live together for 5 years and are currently using things that were left behind from his ex wife and ex girlfriend.  I cant wait till we can get rid of it all and start fresh.
    Posted by DirtyWater[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, we would too - even though you can't ask for it. I decided I'd register for *just enough* for the two showers (which I asked to please be small...I don't want big ordeal). I just need to figure out how many people they're considering so I know how much stuff I need to try and eek out of a registry..lol.</div><div>
    </div><div>I figure if I register for only a little bit, there won't be anything left for people to buy for a wedding gift. Thus leaving us with only the option of money. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly though, it really just boils down to the fact that we really don't need anything! All of our appliances (even small ones) we bought new with our house, we just bought new everyday dishes. I guess I could register for China even though I know we'll never use it. The only time we host large groups requiring china is at the holidays and I have my mother's Christmas china already.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards