Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Visa and green card for foreign fiance

My fiance is a Brazilian citizen, so we're going to have to go through the whole greencard application process for him.  I have no clue where to start or what to expect.  Has anyone gone through this process before?  What is it like?  Did you hire an immigration lawyer?  Thanks!

Re: Visa and green card for foreign fiance

• Options
    Sweetie, get an attorney stat!  This is not a forum where you are likely to get accurate information.  I'm sure there are lots of forums devoted to those in situations such as yours.  I know that going through the immigration process is time consuming and can be costly.  Don't go into this ill-prepared.  Good luck to you.
  • Options
    Just went through this!  We didn't use a lawyer, due to the cost, though it may have saved a few miinor headaches if we had.  (The bulk still has to be done by you, frankly.)  The short answer as to what you do depends on your individual situation.  My husband is a Peruvian citizen who was here on a student visa.  We did an "adjustment of status" to get him a spousal visa.  If you fiance is here in the US already, your process will be the same.  If he is NOT here already, and you have to do a fiance visa, the process is different.  (And a LOT harder to control the timing of things.)  There's a long list of paperwork to file.  If he is here already, you get married, THEN file for the adjustment.  It's pretty expensive; I won't lie to you.  It's a pain in the neck, but we managed, okay.  There will be papers for him and papers for you.  You'll need copies of your birth certificate, tax returns, etc.  Check with USCIS.  That's where you start.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I meant to say that if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.  I'll do my best to answer in regard to my own experience.  (I can't answer legal questions with any authority, but I'll be happy to share what we did and how it's going for us.
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Talk to a lawyer, but the government website provides tons of basic info and forms. I would link, but im on my phone. Please dont rely on any other info, as there is a lot of wrong stuff out there. Plus scams. Edit: www.uscis.gov/

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    And if your husband is in the U.S. and entered illegally, DO NOT file anything, as he is ineligible to get a green card here, and you will get him placed in removal (deportation proceedings!  Talk to a lawyer!
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback.  My fiance is a legal resident of the U.S., and we'll talk to a lawyer most definitely.  Was just curious if others were in the same boat, since I don't know anyone who has gone through this in recent years.  I definitely won't be paying attention to false info and scams!  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards