California-San Diego

Honeymoon in San Diego

Hi everyone,

My FI and I are honeymooning in San Diego at the end of August (we live in Massachusetts) in the Hard Rock Hotel. We're pretty excited about it, but we don't know what to do when we get there. The only thing I can think of is to go to the zoo. Could any of you give me some suggestions on what we could do (we're staying Monday through Saturday the third week of August), or point me to some resources to give us some ideas? We've both been to California before, but never to San Diego, so we're at a loss.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Honeymoon in San Diego

• Hmm... here are some ideas just off the top of my head:

1) You mentioned the Zoo so I'll start off with theme parks. The Wild Animal Park is 30 minutes north. Sea World is right here in San Diego. Legoland is about 40 minutes north (I hear it's more for kids though.) 

2) I believe the HRH is at the bottom of the Gaslamp district which has a ton of restaurants, bars, clubs, and shopping. You can also walk to Seaport Village from there which is kind of a tourist spot but very nice for grabbing a bite to eat, checking out random little shops, and walking by the water.

3) Check out the beach cities. Coronado Island and La Jolla are both gorgeous and have quaint-looking dining/shopping areas. If you want to party a little bit head to Pacific Beach (college beach bar area), Mission Beach (small amusement park with a little roller coaster and boardwalk game area, and also a cool place called The Wave House with simulated waves), or Ocean Beach (laid back, kinda grungy, lots of cool dive bars). 

4) Go to the mountains. Alpine and Julian are in the San Diego area. You could also check out Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead which is kind of a drive - about two and a half hours north. 

5) If you're willing to drive a little bit Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm are about an hour north and Los Angeles is two hours north. 

6) Please do not go to Tijuana - no matter what anyone tells you, it's not safe. 

I hope this helps... are there any specific activities that you guys are interested in?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_honeymoon-in-san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:ab6d0140-f1fc-4136-9a49-d4ac5c720ab6Post:0a544f51-d709-49bf-b852-6809876f4416">Re: Honeymoon in San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm... here are some ideas just off the top of my head: 1) You mentioned the Zoo so I'll start off with theme parks. The Wild Animal Park is 30 minutes north. Sea World is right here in San Diego. Legoland is about 40 minutes north (I hear it's more for kids though.)  2) I believe the HRH is at the bottom of the Gaslamp district which has a ton of restaurants, bars, clubs, and shopping. You can also walk to Seaport Village from there which is kind of a tourist spot but very nice for grabbing a bite to eat, checking out random little shops, and walking by the water. 3) Check out the beach cities. Coronado Island and La Jolla are both gorgeous and have quaint-looking dining/shopping areas. If you want to party a little bit head to Pacific Beach (college beach bar area), Mission Beach (small amusement park with a little roller coaster and boardwalk game area, and also a cool place called The Wave House with simulated waves), or Ocean Beach (laid back, kinda grungy, lots of cool dive bars).  4) Go to the mountains. Alpine and Julian are in the San Diego area. You could also check out Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead which is kind of a drive - about two and a half hours north.  5) If you're willing to drive a little bit Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm are about an hour north and Los Angeles is two hours north.  6) Please do not go to Tijuana - no matter what anyone tells you, it's not safe.  I hope this helps... are there any specific activities that you guys are interested in?
    Posted by Chels&Jimmy[/QUOTE]

All of the above!! Also, you MUST check out Sunset Cliffs (in Ocean Beach, a little hippy beach town). It's my favorite place in San Diego.  I will go there just to have my coffee. It's breathtaking. :)   And, check out Mt Soledad (you get a 360 degree view of all of San Diego) as well as Cabrillo National Monument (another fantastic view and you can see the downtown skyline as well). If you head to Pacific Beach (that college party area) make a point to see Kate Sessions Park. Amazing view from there as well.
  • I agree to those places and will add Little Italy,Cabrillo National Monument,Balboa Park,
    Coronado,Go on a sailing Tour, snorkeling La Jolla Cove, Scripps Aquarium,Rent a Beach Cruiser riding along Mission Beach,learn how to surf in Solana Beach,
    drive along the 101 to see all the Beach towns.....
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to look into them more when I have time!

Regarding Chels&Jimmy's question, FI and I are very much into music (we met at a ska/punk show), though staying at the Hard Rock kind of gives that away, haha. 
  • edited February 2012
    If you like the ponies and/or gambling, the Del Mar Racetrack is fun. Also, on Fridays and some Saturdays, they have free concerts afterwards. We've seen Blues Traveler, Billy Idol, Cake and Weezer after the races. The concert lineup won't be out until closer to summer though.

Temecula wine country is just north of San Diego. It will be a little warm in August, but it's a nice day trip.

You might also think about signing up for Groupon (similar site) for the San Diego area. There are often deals for entertainment type stuff (whale watching cruises, paddle board rentals/lessons, wine tours, etc.).

imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_honeymoon-in-san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:ab6d0140-f1fc-4136-9a49-d4ac5c720ab6Post:d6337206-bd4b-4d50-9825-a60192b399f1">Re: Honeymoon in San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to look into them more when I have time! Regarding Chels&Jimmy's question, FI and I are very much into music (we met at a ska/punk show), though staying at the Hard Rock kind of gives that away, haha. 
    Posted by dsquared28[/QUOTE]

That's a great story! Who approached who? What bands were playing? FI and I didn't meet at a show, but we officially became a couple (i..e. put the "boyfriend/girlfriend" label on ourselves) at a Pepper concert that I invited him to attend with me. I think that was our third date. Hehe.

I'm not really up on the music scene here, sadly. There is a House of Blues in the Gaslamp - you could check out their calendar to see if there are any good shows going on while you'll be here. I saw NOFX there two years ago and it was a pretty decent venue. There is also the Shout House nearby which is a dueling piano bar.

PP's all had great suggestions! And how could I forget Balboa Park? That is where the zoo is located as well as a bunch of different museums and gardens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A few "locals" things:

-The Belly Up in Solana Beach (20 minute drive from downtown) is a bar that hosts live music that is likely up your alley. http://www.bellyup.com/

-The Office in North Park is similar to The Belly Up but maybe less known musical acts? http://www.officebarinc.com/

-My favorite date I've ever gone on in San Diego is to take a Gondola ride through the Coronado Cayes at night. You can BYOB and food. It's amazing and quiet and gorgeous. I recommend the sunset cruise or the night cruise. (Night was my favorite part once the city lights came on) ~$100 but I highly recommend it!! http://www.gondolacompany.com/

-The Little Italy Mercato - The best farmers market in all of San Diego IMO. Saturdays from 9 am - 1:30 pm. More than just farmers. http://www.littleitalysd.com/mercato/

San Diego's food scene is lacking. I'm a foodie and it's not like San Francisco or New York where you can pretty much count on getting something pretty decent anywhere you go. My favorite restaurants in San Diego in no particular order:

-Cowboy Star - Steaks + some seafood - downtown San Diego
    -The Sky Room at La Valencia in La Jolla - $$$$ but the best food in SD IMO
    -Davanti Enoteca - Great food, good prices - Little Italy (downtown SD)
    -Craft + Commerce - Little Italy - funky, artsy place. Happening bar at night.
    -Azuki Sushi - soooo goooood

If you want to grab a drink with a killer sunset / bay view, go to the Manchester Grand Hyatt and go to the 40th floor. There's a small bar up there with great views.

Altitude at the Marriott Gaslamp is a cool rooftop bar with views into Petco Park

Bar Basic has good pizza and pool tables

Hope you enjoy SD - let us know! :)

• Theres no lacking in good eating in San Diego :  Urban Cucina, Bankers Hill Restaurant,The Roxy in Encinitas,Georges at The Cove (beautifully overlooking La Jolla Cove ) Terra  restaurant and of course there are plenty of very good restaurants in Hillcrest, and the restaurant next the Belly Up in Solana Beach.
    There are nice places along the beach area in Del Mar for the romantic moments.

For Music : Check out The San Diego Reader online.

Marion
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    To clarify, of course there are some good restaurants in San Diego. But I do think that you should take recommendations or read reviews on yelp before heading out for a big meal. It can be very hit/miss. :) Marion, I love Cucina Urbana (which I think you meant?) but OP, make reservations if you plan to go there it's always packed. And I love Terra, too. Jeff catered our wedding! But it's pretty far out of downtown San Diego with nothing else to do near it in La Mesa area so I didn't suggest it. Oh and Cafe Chloe downtown is excellent, too!
  • Laura,'Yup Jeff is catering our wedding in June,too.
    Terra is pretty far out of town,for non San Diegans,that is true.I easily forget,because I just drive .

• Total threadjack, sorry OP!  Marion, I'm so excited that Jeff is catering your wedding! We had a billion compliments on the food at our wedding. They did such a good job!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards