Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Groom's Gift

What are you getting your FI for their gift and when do you usually give it to them? Is it at the rehearsal dinner or before the wedding?  I'm stuck with what to get FI and I know his mom has already given him an idea on what to get me.  He'll probably do something sentimental and I feel I should go that route but I'm not sure it will mean as much to him.  Then I was thinking of getting him something he'd actually use. 

And THEN I saw there's a Price is Right game show in Las Vegas.  We're doing 3 days in Vegas on our way back from Hawaii and I thought about making two obnoxious t-shirts that say we're on our honeymoon and giving him the shirts with two tickets.

So I guess my question is - which is better: Sentimental?  Something he'll use?  Or something for the honeymoon?
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker
183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010

Re: Groom's Gift

• edited December 2011
    I gave him my BPic album.. and also a book I found in B&N that was a cute cute kids story about a dinosaur and his girlfriend.  The dinosaur was closed off living in a block of ice until the female dinosaur came along.. and it just goes on to talk about various things that were similar to our relationship.  So I signed it with a note saying I coudlnt wait to marry him and other various personal things and gave it as the "card" to the album present.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the Price is Right tickets is fun and different. I guess it would depend on what your sentimental is. Is it something that will be used or just placed on a shelf? I am planning on doing a fossil watch and the bpic album and  card. I am giving the watch the morning of.... and the album when we return to the hotel room that night..
  • edited December 2011
    FYI - the price is right roadshow, i went to it when I was in vegas last too.  It's not what you think..  don't wanna burst your bubble, but they don't pick from the audience at all.   When you enter the stadium, they ask everyone a quiz question about the price of an item.   The people who got it right, get to play.  That's it.
  • CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh boo...you did burst my bubble but it's better to be bursted now then when we get there haha.

My original thought was a watch that was going to be engraved "Love you til the end of time."  Problem is, he doesn't wear watches.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am not planning to do much of a "gift" exactly... probably just a sweet sentimental handwritten card with some pictures of me (I have seen this done elsewhere and I liked the idea - holding signs that say "I Can't Wait" and "To Marry You")... We are spending a lot of our own money on the wedding and a substancial gift isn't really in the budget for either of us...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm giving him bpics and a surprise grooms cake.    I was torn between choosing sentimental and something he could use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    *Other... all of the above.  I think the gift(s) should be sentimental even if that's just a card, something functional, and maybe something fun.  I got bpics done, and will give him the album before the wedding.  I'm also looking into getting him a new watch, but I dont know if I can swing it financially.  May just have to use cc for that one.
  • edited December 2011
    I got him a BPic album, which I'll give him the night before the wedding and a pocket watch with a picture of him and his late father, which I will have sent over to his room on the morning of the wedding... he can keep it in the breast pocket of his tux on our wedding day... then I'll give him his handmade card (the one from the Etsy seller).
  • edited December 2011
    Aww Tacco, that's really sweet.  Is your FI the sort to cry?  You may wind up having him crying prior to the wedding even starting!  But seriously, that's a very thoughtful gift.  
  • edited December 2011
    He will cry, but as long as I send it over when his groomsmen are around, he should keep it under control.  He will absolutely love it.  I'm sending it with our 2nd photog, so she can give it to him and then capture his reaction on camera (since I won't be there to see it).  Genius, I know.
  • edited December 2011
    I got a Brietling watch which is something I knew he really wanted but wouldn't buy himself.  It was a big purchase for me, and since I wanted to make sure it was exactly what he wanted (we could go back to the jeweler and exchange if it wasn't) he already opened it and is wearing it!  Haha, I guess I'm not always one to follow tradition.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    For his sister's wedding a year ago, J and I sent scrapbook paper to everyone who knew their Dad (probably 100 people - friends and family invited to the wedding and old friends who weren't even invited to the wedding) and asked them to write any stories they remember about him (he passed almost 25 years ago) and include any pictures and memories of him.  We put together the most amazing scrapbook for her and gave it to her at brunch the day after her wedding.  It was incredible!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_grooms-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:83710ea7-ddd3-492c-b0f8-a0c7f76d7e75Post:71808783-a0bb-467d-84a6-01e5a31738a1">Re: Groom's Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]For his sister's wedding a year ago, J and I sent scrapbook paper to everyone who knew their Dad (probably 100 people - friends and family invited to the wedding and old friends who weren't even invited to the wedding) and asked them to write any stories they remember about him (he passed almost 25 years ago) and include any pictures and memories of him.  We put together the most amazing scrapbook for her and gave it to her at brunch the day after her wedding.  It was incredible!
    Posted by taccoten[/QUOTE]

this is such a sweet idea.
  • edited December 2011
    It was J's idea.  He is definitely the sentimental kind.  Awww I just love him!
  • edited December 2011
    That is an amazing gift!
  • CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will say, FI and I are doing something sentimental for each other, but we hadn't considered it part of the gift.  We got journals at Barnes and Nobles called, "The Story of Us" that gives you prompts to write about your relationship from when you first started dating, to engagement, marriage, having kids, etc.  So FI and I each are writing in our own books about each other up until the marriage and then giving them to each other the night before to read.  We figure we'll continue this and pass it on to our kids to read about our relationship when they're older.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I got DH an expensive fishing reel that he always wanted but would never buy for himself.  I was thinking of making it more sentimental by engraving "you're the catch of my life" or "reel love" or something like that on it, but the engraving was going to cost almost half the price of the reel, so he got just the reel and a nice card, lol.  He uses it all the time now and I've overheard him showing it off to his fishing buddies and telling them what a great wife he has, which is nice.

Taccoten's gift is awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_grooms-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:83710ea7-ddd3-492c-b0f8-a0c7f76d7e75Post:cd5e34ae-0592-4b33-abe4-2a327126804a">Re: Groom's Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will say, FI and I are doing something sentimental for each other, but we hadn't considered it part of the gift.  We got journals at Barnes and Nobles called, "The Story of Us" that gives you prompts to write about your relationship from when you first started dating, to engagement, marriage, having kids, etc.  So FI and I each are writing in our own books about each other up until the marriage and then giving them to each other the night before to read.  We figure we'll continue this and pass it on to our kids to read about our relationship when they're older.
    Posted by CA2PABride2Be[/QUOTE]

One of my brides maids gave us this for Christmas. I like the idea of showing it to your children. We haven't filled it out yet.
  • edited December 2011
    I will get him a grooms cake for the RD and giving him cufflinks with the Slovak flag on the morning of which will be sent over with the 2nd shooter photog.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to AW my DH here.  His wedding present to me:

He hand made a box out of wood, painted it, engraved our names on the front, really high quality and took him a lot of time.. He called it a Memory Box, and wrote a letter and put it in there.  The letter was to me personally on our wedding day - but it also said that he wants to keep the box and every year on our anniversary write each other a letter to put in it talking about how that past year was, what we did, etc.. So that when we look back one day we can read all of the letters and remember each year together.  

Seriously - this man is NOT normally super thoughtful, and he came up with this idea on his own!!  I was so shocked.. I was expecting a necklace that I had seen that matches my ring, and thought for sure he was going to get that since I had pointed it out and he's not too good at coming up with his own ideas ;)  This was 10x better than a necklace I could always go out and buy for myself if I really wanted to.  I love thoughtfulness.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Awww that's so sweet!!  What a great idea!

• edited December 2011
    I've actually kept every ticket stub, restaurant business card, brochure etc., from everything we've done since our first date.  I suck at scrapbooking, but maybe I can create something with all the stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    Cara, you are a genius!  I have saved EVERYTHING for the past 10 years.  I just don't know if I'd have the time do start now because there is sooo much stuff.

• edited December 2011
    Ooods - that is so sweet of him!  I love things like this you can look back on with your kids. It's so special.  That's why I save everything.
  • PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is getting the b-pic album the night before the wedding... I am also sending him for a straight razor shave a few days before the wedding (he's always wanted one) and I'll probably get him something small to send over the day of the wedding... not sure what though. 
  • RobotCakeRobotCake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These are some great ideas!  I wasn't really expecting to exchange wedding gifts -- does everyone do this or is it optional?  I do plan to present him with my pinup photos, but I haven't decided yet when to give them to him.  We may not have too many private moments before the wedding, since my parents are staying with us from out of town before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    i was trying to think of something sentimental to give FI for a looooong time, and i just couldn't come up with something that i knew he would appreciate as much as i would. i finally decided to just get him something fun and exciting instead!

so, he is getting a helicopter flying lesson. he wanted to go into the air force instead of going to college right away, but his parents talked him out of it. he told me once that he would love to take flying lessons, but since he was in a relationship and didn't have just his own safety and future to think about anymore, he probably never would. so, i'm giving him something he can check off of his "things to do in life" list!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_grooms-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:83710ea7-ddd3-492c-b0f8-a0c7f76d7e75Post:c7e6e17c-6f08-4af7-af1c-ea792ab0d51c">Re: Groom's Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I gave him my BPic album.. and also a book I found in B&N that was a cute cute kids story about a dinosaur and his girlfriend.  The dinosaur was closed off living in a block of ice until the female dinosaur came along.. and it just goes on to talk about various things that were similar to our relationship.  So I signed it with a note saying I coudlnt wait to marry him and other various personal things and gave it as the "card" to the album present.
    Posted by ooodsie[/QUOTE]

What is the name of this book? It sounds so cute. I love this idea.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    image Our Furbaby Beaker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I am giving FI his Groom's Cake; it's in the shape of a green LEGO, his favorite color and childhood toys (we have banker's boxes filled with them, saved for our kids); our cake topper is also Legos, which he thought was so awesome.

FI also wants a watch, but I want to get him something different; it's a nice idea, don't get me wrong, and if I can't come up with something else, it will be that.  My other fallback idea is a new iPod with an engraving on the back (he has a first gen Nano, 1G, and desperately wants a new one).

I am leaning towards doing a combination gift; he is an Eagle Scout, but all his Eagle project is shoved away in a corner.  I want to scrapbook it together.  Then, I want to get him the Eagle Scout frame (for his medal and certificate), which he has wanted for a while.  Finally, he has always wanted his Eagle ring (like a class ring, but for Eagle Scouts), and I think I am going to suck it up and get it for him.

I am really struggling with other ideas.  He loves backpacking/hiking/camping (that's why he was an Eagle), and I might do something else related to the activities he loves.  He has hiked Philmont Scout Ranch 5 times (out in NM, and 5 times is alot, most boys/men do it once if that), and I know he would love to go out there again, with me (he wants me to see it desperately), but it's so expensive to go.  I really want to do something that is going to mean something, and need to think it out more.

I have also thought of doing a scrapbook of our relationship, and displaying it at the reception.  For those of you who think you aren't that great at scrapbooking, there are kits and ready-made books that make it super easy.  And I promise you, it isn't as hard as you think, especially if you have a ton of pics and items to put in the book.  You would do great at it, I am sure!  (FYI, there are also classes at the craft stores and thru scrapbooking clubs that you could do and get a ton of help/ideas for your book).

The pocketwatch idea- hearttouching.  I did something similar when my grandpa passed; I took all his flannel shirts (without my grandmother knowing) and make her a blanket.  I gave it to her the first Thanksgiving with him, and we all cried; she uses it every single day.  In addition to that, I made patchwork teddy bears for everyone (grandma, mom and uncle, and 4 grandkids).  That Christmas was waterworks; she sleeps with it every night.  I wish I could do something like that for FI (his grandpa died 25 years ago, and his grandma is too sick to make the trip out here from OH), but I don't have any items, nor do I know much about them.

Ooods- it's funny yor DH gave that to you.  When FI asked me if there was one thing I wanted, I told him a hope chest.  I want to be able to put away memories (like our children's baby blankets, christening gowns, etc), and have always wanted one.  He is hugehugehuge into woodworking (his dad and granddad are artisan wordworkers, and he knows it all, but wants to do it as a hobby and not a job), and I want this not only for the memory storage, but for the fact that he made it for me, doing something he loved.  I think items like that, like what your DH did, are precious and keepsakes for generations.

• edited December 2011
    My FI is kind of sappy, tbh, so I am getting him a pair of cufflinks that are Lincoln-head pennies, which I found on eBay.  I plan to wrap them very nicely with a little card that says "Lucky in Love" on the front, and then this joke on the inside, along with a note from me:

"What did one penny say to another?
    Together, we make more cents."

I'd like to give them to him the night before our wedding so that he can wear them the day of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards