Students

Studying abroad just before wedding

I am an upcoming junior at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and as a Latin American Studies major am required to study abroad in Latin America for at least 3 months. I have to do it this spring, right before my July wedding. I'm leaving in Jan and getting back in May. Is it crazy to pull off planning my own wedding as a full-time student in the fall and abroad in the spring?

Re: Studying abroad just before wedding

• It will probably get a little crazy but you've got plenty of time to make it happen. Are you busy this summer? I would get as much done as possible. How much help will you able to get from your mom and others? I've been living in Iowa trying to plan a wedding in Michigan and my mom has been amazing as far as getting things done that need to happen up there. You might have a little bit more of a communication gap in Latin America but there's always e-mail. My advise is just stay organized and don't stress out too much. It all comes together in the end (at least that's what I've been telling myself!)
  • I think you'll be okay! I just did a semester in Australia, it was amazing you're going to have so much fun. One thing to think about- don't underestimate the cost of studying abroad. I spent an INSANE amount of money in Australia, it was so much more expensive than I ever thought. Might not be an issue where you're going, just something to think about, especially if you're saving for the wedding
  • A girl I went to college with got married two weeks after coming back from abroad. It was tough, but she did it and everything worked out.
    Just plan everything in the summer and early fall.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • I just got back from a semester in Italy. There were a couple kids on my program who were engaged.  They basically just delegated tasks to people back home. Talk to your mom, bridesmaids, friends, etc and see if they will help!

And the time apart from your fiancee will only make you love him more!

Good luck!
  • Both of our parents are willing to help out as much as they can- which is SUCH a relief! Another bummer tho is that my twin sister, my MOH is studying in Chile this fall, leaving in late July! So she won't be much help when I am here. Luckily, she will be back by Christmas and I will leave late Jan, so we will have time together. I also have a friend who is an aspiring wedding planner! She was going to study in Ireland in the spring, but turns out she is not anymore! So, she will be my savior in the spring! :) But I am a bit worried about spending too much in Costa Rica. I have heard from friends too that it was way more expensive than they had hoped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards