Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gifts poll!

This place is dead!  Let's talk.

What item are/were you most excited to get off your registry?

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? (Cash doesn't count!)

Most thoughtful gift you've ever recieved?

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?  (Either IRL or on the Knot)
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Gifts poll!

• Options
    I'm most excited to get our nice set of everyday dishes.  Half of our current ones are from a Red Lobster that went out of business, and the bowls don't match!

I've always wanted to make up a "date night" basket--a GC to a nice local restaurant, a bottle of wine, some chocolates, and tickets to a show or movie.

My sister and BMs are giving me a bachelorette party in Napa Valley and the gift of that was so nice because they know it's something I love (even though my sister hates wine!)

My FI thought of his GM gifts in about 3 seconds flat--he and 3 of the GMs went to college together and go to the same football game together every year.  He's buying their tickets, but since they don't go on sale until after the wedding, they're getting school t-shirts with a note from him explaining the gift.  I wish I had such a good idea!
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Down comforter. Ohhh I can't wait.

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? (Cash doesn't count!)
    Probably tickets to some sort of event- sporting, musical, Second City- depending on the couple.

Necklace from my grandma for my 17th birthday. My grandpa's funeral was that day (ugh, it sucked) and seven years later, I wear the necklace almost every day.

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?
    I don't have a specific one, but so many people have thoughtful, personal gifts. I've received trinkets or matching jewelry for every wedding I have been in and I am so glad people are moving on from that trend.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options

Le Creuset cookware, hopefully in a variety of beautiful colors. LOVE.

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? I am not a very creative gift giver Undecided I like your idea of a date night package. Or maybe a "movie night" package (gift card to Blockbuster, popcorn, candy) for a more homebody couple.

A date night from my (now) FI.  Tickets to a show I had been dying to see (that he didn't want to see), and on the night of the show he surprised me with flowers, dinner, the whole shebang.

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard? 
    There are a lot of good ones out there. For my ladies, I'm getting each one a cute "weekender" suitcase (not one of those tote bag things - an actual piece of luggage) and a shirt from Threadless (each girl will get one that kind of reflects her personality, an inside joke, etc). Still brainstorming some others...
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    1. It's a toss up between cutlery and pots and pans! I LOVE to cook!
    2. I would probably do a giftcard to a store like bed bath and beyond
    3. I can't think of anything right now
    4. totes with body and bath bundles.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    Me: The bedding
    FI: Waffle Iron (I've never even seen the guy eat waffles, he just really wants a nice waffle iron)

Depends on how well I know them. If I don't know them very well, I'd get a gift certificate to a really nice restaurant or similar date night gift cert. If I do know them well, I'd probably go to Crate & Barrel (because it's my favorite store ever...) and get something along their interests- i.e. fancy bakeware for the couple that bakes a lot...etc. I don't take offense if people return my gifts, so a gift receipt would definitely be included!

I'll go WR on this one. This is silly and simple but my dad bought the Disney Princess barbie doll bride and groom set because he thought that the doll's wedding dress looks like mine. The dress looks nothing like mine, but it almost made me cry that he put so much thought into it.

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?  (Either IRL or on the Knot)
    Not sure on this one. I like the idea of giving the BM a nice clutch or custom jewelry. I'm really into things that are custom and unique, so IMO anything Etsy is great for BM. Not sure about the guys... (I need inspiration!!!)
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're redecorating my FI's bachelor pad (and by we, I mean I), so the living room drapes and comforter set are at the top of the list of things I'm most excited about getting.  Our cutlery set and all of the attachments to my stand mixer are pretty high up on that list also since I love to cook and he has a fantastic kitchen!

The most thoughful gift I've ever received is probably all of the jewelry my mother bought me when I was too young to appreicate it.  Now that I'm older, I love that I have a nice strand of pearls to wear for special occassions - like my wedding day.

Because I appreicate quality kitchen stuff, if I knew a couple who was getting married but hadn't registered, I would probably buy them a very nice piece of cookware or nice dishes or silverware.

My FI gave his groomsmen several special tickets to the Memphis Grizzlies games that they can use for any game.  They loved them.  I'm giving my sister (MOH) and bridesmaids the "Love Cuff" bracelet from Premier Jewelry. They all like jewelry and I wanted to give them something they could keep for a long time, but also actually get to use.  I haven't decided on what to give our flower girl and ring bearers yet.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    Our new bedding!

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? (Cash doesn't count!) I actually made a date night box for a couple once, nice pasta and sauce, wine and etc. They actually used it the day they got back from their honeymoon because they had nothing else to eat! :) Otherwise I would probably go to Crate and Barrel and find something I think they would use.

Most thoughtful gift you've ever recieved? At my shower this weekend my mom made me a scrapbook for the first year of marriage. So all the pages are done with the months, our bdays, a page for Cubs Game, Halloween, the big events, Anniversary. I just need to add the photos, I love it!

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?  (Either IRL or on the Knot) I like personalized clutches. I got a tote-ish type thing that I use all the time from one wedding I was in. I also like pashminas because I use them all the time as scarves. I also need some good ideas to pass onto FI!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    Some new and actually matching dishes -- I have two non-matching four-place-setting sets right now that I've had since college and FI has some plastic stuff from the 80s.

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them?
    I haven't the faintest idea. That's a tough one. Good thing most people register :)

When I graduated from high school my parents bought me a small pair of diamond earrings and I still wear them all the time.

I love the idea of getting each girl a different tote bag (who can ever have enough purses/totes, really?) and including gifts that are specific to each girl's taste. I got a mirror compact when I was a bridesmaid a few years ago and I use it all the time -- one side is magnified so it's really useful.
  • Options
    What item are/were you most excited to get off your registry? Our china, I know a lot of people find it impractical, but we plan on doing a lot of entertaining and know they'll be put to good use. 

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? (Cash doesn't count!) A gift they could use together such as a gift card to a fancy restaurant and a really nice bottle of wine with a set of wine glasses. I know me and FI would really enjoy that :0)

Most thoughtful gift you've ever recieved? Me and FI consider the first night we were at a Yankee game together to be the night where we both realized we were in love. So a month later for my birthday he got tickets to go back and sit in the same seats we sat in on that special night. He re-created the entire day down to where we went for drinks after and where we ate. 

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?  (Either IRL or on the Knot) I found these great DIY wine glasses from a knottie on the DIY board. She listed the Etsy seller so I ordered the letters and dots and recreated the glasses as part of the gifts for my girls. (PIB)
  • Options
    1.  I would love to get my china.  I've wanted china since I was a little girl, I loved when my mom used the china for holidays.

2.  It really depends on the couple.  I would try to get them something I knew they could use or would appreciate.  If I was at a loss I would buy something classic like a crystal vase and give cash too, in case they hated it.

3.  The best gift I received was a pair of diamond earrings from FI a few years ago.  It was completely unexpected and proved he listens to my preferences.

4.  I think the best BM/groomsman gifts are very personalized.  Like a wine of the month club membership for someone who loves wine.  I'm buying my bridesmaids jewelry with their birthstones.
  • Options
    What item are/were you most excited to get off your registry?: I really want our everday dishes.  We're using a small set from college and they're getting old and worn down.  I was also really excited about our silverware because we're currently using a mismatched set.

If you had to give a gift to a couple who didn't register, what would you give them? (Cash doesn't count!): I'm a sentimental person, so I would probably get something with their new last name and established date on it.  Or I'd make a gift basket of stuff that they'll need (like a kitchen basket or bathroom basket)

Most thoughtful gift you've ever recieved?: For my birthday the first year we were together, my FI went to build a bear and made me a bear so that I'd have something to cuddle with while he was away on deployments.

What are some of the best BM/GM/FG/RB gift ideas you've heard?: I personally love monogrammed stuff, so I would love almost anything like that. 
  • Options

I'll be really excited to get my heating blanket (my old one died a few weeks ago so I'm relying on a warm blanket and hair dryer as a stand in).  Really love my dishes - I've been wanting nice, every day dishes for years!

Gift card to their favorite place to eat.   Or gift card to Belk (or another department store).  Worst case, if the bride doesn't need any home or kitchen items, she can put the money towards some new clothes or shoes!!

See below - my FI saw how much I liked his GM gifts and had one made for me!

My FI decided to give his groomsmen football or basketball jerseys from their favorite colleges with their last names on the back.  It was kind of expensive, but we really think the guys will like them.  He has ended up getting me one, too - and I really love mine... especially since it has my new last name on it!   War Eagle!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We haven't registered yet, but I am going to register for a kitchen aide as well as a good blender and small video camera

It depends if I know them well or not. If I don't it would probably be a gift card or certificate for home goods, food or massage. If I know them i would buy something I know they would like or do a couples massage gift card or something

This is hard.  I think it would have to be a pillow that one of my guy friends gave me. He always smelled really good and so he bought me a pillow and sprayed it with his cologne and have it to me. I loved it!

These are hard. I have only really seen very impersonal ones and I don't want to do that. We are thinking a beer stein for one of our BM and a monogramed cloth rifle case for one of the GM We are not yet sure of what to get the others yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The gift I am most looking forward to is a rolling pin because it is the one kitchen utensil I don't have.

For the couple who isn't registering, I would get them a gift certificate to a local spa for a couple's massage.

If I can I afford it, I really want to give floor length bathrobes to my bridesmaids with their first initial monogramed on the left chest area.
  • Options
    I have gotten several people ice-cream makers (no one ever registers for it and everyone LOVES it).  It also makes infused drinks - so much fun for parties.  So that's what I would get a couple if I had to get something not on their registry.

Most thoughtful gift I have ever gotten - my E-ring.  Can't think of a more wonderful, thoughtful gift then someone wanting me to share their life with me!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Looking back, I love my toaster oven the most!! Isn't that silly??
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1.) Our china! We can't wait to use it for family gatherings and holidays!

2.) it depends on well I know them... Probably a gift certificate from a place I know they would like.

3.) My fiance bought me a VERY nice journal and wrote something inside about it being a collection of beautiful thoughts of a beautiful woman, and about us reading it together when we're old. I love it!

4.) I don't know about this one... I am giving the BMs flat shoes for after the ceremony with a tag that says "Dance the night away"; lunch boxes filled with crackers, cheese, white grapes, water, straws, a napkin and some ibuprofen or tylenol for the day-of; handmade earrings; and handmade tote bags since they are all coming from out-of-town.
  • Options
    1.) New cooking items!  Pans mainly.  I can't tell you how many times I go into Kohl's and stare longingly at the beautiful Calphalon and KitchenAid sets

2.)  Haven't had this issue yet, but if I did, I'd probably make them something.  I'm not the BEST artist in the world, but I'd probably try and draw them a really nice picture and present that to them as a gift; it'd be personal for sure

3.)  This is a hard one, so I choose not to answer it; it's hard to pick just one

4.)  Found these really nice small jewlery boxs on a website that will be really nice for my BMs; since they all read, I'm also giving them each a gift card to Barnes & Noble, might sound kind of tacky, but it's not their main gift; the box, as well as something else I have yet to decide on will be the main gift, the gift card is the literal thank you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    1) Most exciting gifts were the bedding and sheets

2) a couple that didn't register I would get her a gift card to Victoria's Secret to get something for the honeymoon

3) most thoughtful gift, friend lent me $1K when insurance renigged on paying for my car and the work was done and I couldn't get it back without paying

4) none
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards