Maine
Options

Room Blocks-Portland, ME

I am getting married on Peaks Island and am currently looking into room blocks. Has anyone found downtown Portland to be very unaccomodating. The main hotel I am looking at requires an event and a 2 day minimum. The blocks are also expensive, over $200.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to block to rooms?

Re: Room Blocks-Portland, ME

• Options
    I don't necessarily think that they're being unaccommodating.  The area is pretty busy/in demand.  I'm assuming you're getting married during peak season where they might be hosting their own wedding/event and they want to make sure they have the rooms for the event on their premises first. 

Even places like Howard Johnson's and Fireside Inn and Suites on Riverside (closer to Westbrook) might not let you block rooms there on a weekend if they have a wedding scheduled, which they do pretty much every weekend.

Downtown Portland is very expensive.  Anything on the peninsula is going to cost a few hundred dollars a night, especially during tourist time.  If you're looking for your guests to be able to get off the ferry and easily get to their hotel, then they are going to have to pay a lot of money.

Check some of the hotels in South Portland/Scarborough in the Maine Mall area if people don't mind a 10-15 minute drive to the hotel.  There's a Courtyard by Marriot, Fairfield Inn, a Holiday Inn Express, etc.  There's also a La Quinta on outer Congress in Portland that is a little cheaper since it's away from the waterfront.  There are Motel 6 and Super 8s too - super cheap - but I'm not sure they do blocks. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the Marriott many times and have never had a complaint.  They are both in Sable Oaks (near the mall, but back in a wooded area, so are quiet).  The HIX serves a complimentary breakfast.  Both places are very clean and rates are reasonable. Good luck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_room-blocks-portland-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:3bad5b27-6bc9-458b-bef3-3962d3f3b3daPost:b842df97-3b14-4b97-a3d1-9f3021a8ff31">Re: Room Blocks-Portland, ME</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't necessarily think that they're being unaccommodating.  The area is pretty busy/in demand.  I'm assuming you're getting married during peak season where they might be hosting their own wedding/event and they want to make sure they have the rooms for the event on their premises first.  Even places like Howard Johnson's and Fireside Inn and Suites on Riverside (closer to Westbrook) might not let you block rooms there on a weekend if they have a wedding scheduled, which they do pretty much every weekend. Downtown Portland is very expensive.  Anything on the peninsula is going to cost a few hundred dollars a night, especially during tourist time.  If you're looking for your guests to be able to get off the ferry and easily get to their hotel, then they are going to have to pay a lot of money. Check some of the hotels in South Portland/Scarborough in the Maine Mall area if people don't mind a 10-15 minute drive to the hotel.  There's a Courtyard by Marriot, Fairfield Inn, a Holiday Inn Express, etc.  There's also a La Quinta on outer Congress in Portland that is a little cheaper since it's away from the waterfront.  There are Motel 6 and Super 8s too - super cheap - but I'm not sure they do blocks. 
    Posted by hcorrigan34[/QUOTE]

<p class="MsoNormal"></p><p class="MsoNormal"> </p><p class="MsoNormal">Even if Motel 6 does do blocks...I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy! It’s the cheapest place in Portland for a reason…lots of prostitutes/homeless/police activity there! Probably not the post-wedding vibe anyone is looking for :-/. I’m sure most Motel 6’s aren’t classy places, but this is definitely one to avoid...take it from a Portlander whose fiancé worked on that side of town for a long time!</p> <p> </p>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards