Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does.  At work, when we request medical records for a client's case, we are required to send the request to the medical facility via fax and mail to make sure it is received.  I put a note on EVERY request I send out stating it is sent via fax and mail to ensure delivery. 

9 times out of 10, the medical facility calls telling me they don't have any new records.  I explain that the request was also sent through the mail and to please disregard it.  What do you think happens?  The next day the same person calls again all PISSY asking why I am requesting the records again.  STUPID PEOPLE.  What can I say on my originial request to make this clearer?  Ugh.

Don't even get me started on the some of the so-called disabled people that call in looking for help.  One guy literally called for help with his disability claim because he shot himself in the PINKY TOE and didn't think he'd ever be able to work again.  SERIOUSLY?!  He then told me he thinks Social Security denied him because they are jealous of him.  Sigh.  Need a drink.

Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*

• Options
    When dealing with impossibly stupid people, I try to imagine how difficult it must be to go through life being so dumb.  Sometimes it helps.
  • Options
    Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    That certainly sounds frustrating!  

I deal with doctors on the daily and it's amazing how often they don't read directions, even when I highlight them.  

• Options
    ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    People don't read things.  It's unbelievably annoying.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-people-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5d677ca0-3181-43c1-9fe6-58c5218a6d74Post:e2ecddce-cc2d-4ecc-a643-7002d099d6f4">Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stacks, attorneys are like that too.  They tend to not read that portion of memos, etc.  OR, they read it and don't understand.  It's a simple concept, really.
    Posted by Holly4212011[/QUOTE]

Yep.  The majority of my clients are pretty good, but there's that handful that doesn't pay attention to anything but the number. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    I can see why it's frustrating, but really it's the process that is the problem not necessarily the people.  

And people do not read

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    They recently moved a bunch of departments around in our building. I now have a press area behind me. They put a lock on a door that will from now on be locked whenever we are running a secured job. Here is the conversation I had with a hand full of people yesterday.

Them: The door is locked
    Me: Yes it will be locked almost all time now.
    Them: Why?
    Me: Secured printing
    Them: How do I get in?
    Me: you have to go around through the hallway
    Them: I have to walk all the way around?
    Me: Yes
    Them: well what if I have to use the bathroom
    Me: Use the bathroom
    Them: But the door to get back in is locked.
    Me: You can use this one and way around or use the one that you are supposed to use but don't and be in the same area
    Them: But the door to get back in is locked.
    Me: YES THE DOOR IS LOCKED.
  • Options
    Sorry, we're stupid.

I do try to sign or fill in things that are highlighted or flagged.  With legible handwriting.  Usually everything is okay unless my office staff decides to fax the wrong thing or shreds the paperwork before the fax confirmation sheet comes through.  
  • Options
    The inability for people to read directions astounds me.  I started doing something with my students (the French class ones because they can read).  Basically it's a list of instructions having you do strange things like doodle on the paper, call out your name, etc.  Instruction 1 says to read ALL the instructions before starting.  Instruction 2 says write your name on the top of the paper.  Instruction 25 says to disregard instructions 3-24.  I have yet to have a student not go through the whole sheet and do all the crap because they didn't follow directions.  It's funny though.
  • Options
    Faculty aren't prizes either when it comes to paying attention.  I cannot tell you how many faculty members have waltzed right in to my office without knocking, and just started telling me about how they need their office(s) unlocked because they forgot their keys at home/in their car/in the last foreign country they visited.  The last professor that came in asked (no joke) twice a week for 5 weeks to have his office unlocked. 

I finally just said, "I'll do it today, but anytime after this, I'm charging you a lockout fee. $25. This is insane, no one else does this".  He thought I was kidding.  The next week, my boss backed me up and told him $25 or no unlock.  He was stunned speechless.  But he never forgot his keys after that!

I also had a professor take my keys right off my desk and hide them in her office.  She came in to fill out paperwork, clipped my keys, and walked away with them.  I have keys to the kingdom, basically, given my job.  I finally tracked her down, and asked her for my keys back.  She denied having them, but I could see them sticking out of her purse.  I told her that they were mine, but no such luck, she denied they were mine. I ended up calling security, she gave the keys back in tears, and I had to notify her dean.  I knew why she took them--the paperwork she was filling out involved giving me cash or a check for a registration fee.  I had over $1000 in reg fees, and she knew she was one of the last profs to register.  Having my keys meant she had access to getting near the safe containing the money.  She played the dumb card, but I find it hard to believe that she'd be that dumb to not see she took a whole key ring with her when she left my office.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-people-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5d677ca0-3181-43c1-9fe6-58c5218a6d74Post:7b820a45-9c6e-4268-a116-6925533acf4b">Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chum, was she going to break into the safe? 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what her thought process was, but it wouldn't be out of the range of thought to think that she was. I didn't accuse her of it, I just told her dean that she wouldn't give the keys back until security asked her 3 times.  The dean thought it was odd too (plus he knew that I had the reg fees someplace in my office).  It was just an odd situation to be in, and now I have to sit on my keys or keep them out of view to people when they come in my office. 
  • Options
    ugh.  people can be so incredibly dumb.

a person ordered a book from my work about a month ago, and I'm responsible for mailing the books.  the thing is, he is in Canada, but filled out the online form as though he lived in the US, thus creating a loophole for himself wherein he didn't need to pay shipping.  So I emailed him telling him he needed to pay the international rate, we would cancel the order and he could re-order it at the international shipping rate.  No reply.

Then this morning he emails me asking about the books he ordered a month ago, that usually the orders are prompt but this has taken a long time.

Dude, I emailed you!  Don't blame me for your lack of attentiveness to your email and your attempt to manipulate the system!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I have a client right now where I told him, both verbally over the phone and in a letter, that we have to wait 30 days to finalize this job we are doing from them. It is in the statute, so there is absolutely no way around it. He calls like every three days asking if it is done yet. NO IT IS NOT!!! We have to wait the 30 freaking days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure in the remaining two weeks I will get at least 4 calls about it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-people-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5d677ca0-3181-43c1-9fe6-58c5218a6d74Post:89dc6fed-2fed-4905-81e6-bf6a3e87301f">Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a client right now where I told him, both verbally over the phone and in a letter, that we have to wait 30 days to finalize this job we are doing from them. It is in the statute, so there is absolutely no way around it. He calls like every three days asking if it is done yet. NO IT IS NOT!!! We have to wait the 30 freaking days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure in the remaining two weeks I will get at least 4 calls about it.
    Posted by Juris11[/QUOTE]

I'd tell him the exact number of days left on the clock every time he calls.  Bonus points if you can also give him the number of hours and minutes remaining.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    UserName, I actually think the same thing, really.  Especially if the person is NICE and dumb.  I've changed from getting frustrated to "Wow.. you are really just NOT intelligent, that sux for you."  If they are both mean AND stupid, then I'm not cool.

Chels, that work sheet sounds hilarious.  I love it!  It's not that people can't read, it's that they have the attention span of a gnat and can't read for over 13 seconds in a row.

• Options
    Great.  kwill says I'm stupid, and chumlee thinks I'm not a prize.

:P to all of you.  I can't tell you how many forms I filled out today between medical insurance crap for patients and evaluations for students.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-people-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5d677ca0-3181-43c1-9fe6-58c5218a6d74Post:880d6d46-0967-4141-8308-90752f81ff01">Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT* : I'd tell him the exact number of days left on the clock every time he calls.  Bonus points if you can also give him the number of hours and minutes remaining.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

LOL I would love to be like you have exactly 12 days, 5 hours, 56 minutes, and 10, 9, 8 seconds.

I actually do the sort of nice version of this. "Well, as we dicussed we have to wait until 30 days from X, and since it has only been 14 days, we still have two weeks to go." But he just says "Well yeah, I just wondering if anything had changed since then that would let us speed up the process." Umm like what? The legislature amended the law? Nope.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-people-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5d677ca0-3181-43c1-9fe6-58c5218a6d74Post:d4de4bf9-4f9b-4817-8c39-4ccdd0ed1d00">Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT*</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: STUPID PEOPLE *VENT* : This made me laugh. Kwill, that would annoy me too.  <strong>Can't people read?</strong>
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Nope. It's the most frustrating thing ever. I hold out hope that my students will develop the skills necessary to succeed in the workplace (like reading) but reading stuff like this makes my hope die a little.
  • Options
    We have a "new client information form", for new clients to list alternate phone numbers, names of people who might ever have to make medical decisions for their pets, etc.  It's the easiest thing in the world to fill out, everything is labeled, and I can't tell you how many times I get the deer in the headlights look when I hand it to people...."what am I supposed to do with this?"  ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fill it out!
  • Options
    I love when people come in and say they need to pick up a prescription and tell me their name. I check the bin--nothing. Check the computer--nothing. I pull up the patient's profile, and I see nothing.

So I say, "I'm sorry, I don't have any prescriptions here for you."

They then proceed to pull the written prescription out of their purse/pocket and hand it over. All apologetically, like, "Oh, sorry, I didn't know you actually needed to see the prescription. I thought the pharmacy had ESP and you just KNEW what the doctors wanted me to have."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards