Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Pre-natal vitamins

Anyone taking pre-natal vitamins to help with hair and nails? Or just for general health and not so much for the 'pre-natal'-ness of them? ;)

Re: Pre-natal vitamins

• Options
    It's the biotin in the prenatal vitamins that works for some women, but prenatals only contain a small amount of it.  You're better off taking an actual biotin supplement.  Remember it only affects the new hair growth (it won't change the current condition of your hair).
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've been taking Biotin for about a year now.  It makes my nails grow really fast (also stronger) and my hair seems to be growing much faster than usual as well.  I'd definitely recommend trying it. 

• Options
    I've been taking biotin for a little over a month. I'm noticing that my nails seem stronger, and i'm looking forward to results with my hair too! I've heard it works for people, and I figured its worth a shot...
  • Options

Vitamins are best absorbed on a full stomach, and some vitamins can interact with other drugs you might be taking (especially antibiotics like tetracycline for acne).  To get the most out of the supplement, you should take it in the evening after dinner and not with other medications.

Make sure to also buy a supplement with some sort of independent research seal like the USP.  These companies test the quality of the vitamins and minerals that the FDA does not regulate.  They also ensure that there aren't any added chemicals not labeled.  Many of Costco's vitamins have this seal. 

Photobucket
  • Options

I have a 3 year old, and when i was pregnant and right after, my hair grew like CRAZY! but once I stopped taking the prenatals, my hair started to break off....not that it doesnt have anything to do with me drying and straightening it everyday....but I would just recommend to be careful after the wedding if you take them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_pre-natal-vitamins?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d0563224-e42f-473b-ae32-8d78247fb9dbPost:77ad9e7c-da11-45db-b97b-c02eebb552df">Re: Pre-natal vitamins</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a 3 year old, and when i was pregnant and right after, my hair grew like CRAZY! but once I stopped taking the prenatals, my hair started to break off....not that it doesnt have anything to do with me drying and straightening it everyday....but I would just recommend to be careful after the wedding if you take them!
    Posted by KatieD212[/QUOTE]

It's actually extremely common for women to shed a ton of hair after giving birth.  It's because of the fluctuation in hormones, not the vitamins or lack there of.  <a href="http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc" rel="nofollow">http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc</a>    
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards