Wedding Etiquette Forum

Small car drivers...

What do you drive? Do you love it? Hate it?

I drive an SUV and while I love it (and love that it's totally paid off), it's quickly becoming apparent that it's not the best vehicle for city driving. I'm constantly feeling like I'm going to sideswipe other cars, and don't feel that it has enough "get up and go" for getting in and out of lanes quickly. Suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything at this point. If we don't find something, I'm going to make H switch me vehicles, even though I really hate his Saturn.

Re: Small car drivers...

• I have a corolla which is more midsize.  I'm scared to drive anything smaller.  I had a Civic coupe before but it was so light, I was screwed in the snow.  I love my corolla though.  It's fantastic.
  • I've had an Altima and Ford Fusion in the past few years and have really liked them both. I loved my Altima, but it died in a wreck so I got a Fusion. I got a 4C to save on gas, but I don't think it really saves that much from a 6C.
  • My '09 Malibu is pretty bitchin.  It's got some "getupandgo" and also gets some pretty kickass gas mileage (30-35 highway).
    panther
  • I had a Ford Focus before my current car, actually I had two of them, I liked the first one so much. Great gas mileage.
  • Subaru is the way to go! My H drives a Subaru WRX, but you'd probably like a Subaru Impreza.
  • I drive a Kia Soul and H drives a Honda Fit. The soul has the benefits of feeling like a big car on the inside, but really its pretty small. I really love it. Hs car was a little more expensive, but its great on gas (at least 40) so its good for him since he has a bit of commute.
  • I've been eyeing the Mazda 3 as well as the Ford Fusion. I would LOVE a Mini, but it's not at all realistic, because I need something with 4 doors. 1 4-door Mini is almost worth as much as 2 brand-new Mazda 3's
  • MIL just got a Kia Soul and it looked really nice.

Jill, I've said bad things about my Fusion, but only because I LOVED my Altima and I was sad that I lost it after only having it for 8 months. I had a weekend to find a car and that's when I got the Fusion. I've toyed with the idea of getting a new car, but I think I'm going to stick with my Fusion. It's a 2007 and I've had it for almost 2 years with NO problems (knock on wood). LVB drives the Mercury version of it and really likes it as well.
  • I had a Ford Focus for years and LOVED it.  Great mileage, cheap to maintain, just an all-around awesome car.

Now I have a Nissan Versa (the 4 door hatchback), which I also love.  It's bigger inside than it looks, handles well in the snow (for a small car) and gets great mileage.  Plus it's just very comfortable inside, and it's got a little more pep than the Fit and the Yaris I test drove.
  • I have a Honda Civic Hybrid. I LOVE MY CAR! I get 40 mpg, it's sweet, and the dashboard has delorian type qualities. Absurd quiet. Parts are easy to get, and everyone can work on a Honda Civic. Downside: oil changes are 56$ at the dealership. And it doesn't have any big "balls" when it comes to going 0-60 (the whole smaller engine for the electric thig).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My first car was a Geo Prizm (think Carolla). When it died, I went to a Buick Rendezvous, which was a HUGE difference in size. I think I may actually want something smaller than the Fusion, but I do really like those-we had a few on the lot when I worked for Enterprise, and people always had good things to say about them.
  • I have a scion Xb and love it.  It's got a lot of storage room, but is easy for city driving, and a breeze to parallel park.  I've had it a little over 2 years, and average 28.6MPG.
  • If I was going smaller than a Fusion, I would personally go with a Civic or Corolla. However, I don't like old Corolla's. I don't know how the new ones are. But when I've car shopped, I've wanted really good gas mileage because of all of the driving back and forth between here and our hometown.
  • I drove a 4 door Civic when I lived in Boston, and it was pretty fantastic in tight spaces.  I think it must be heavier than the coupe version, too, because I never had a problem in the snow (I even made it through an actively-happening blizzard at one point without getting stuck even though there was about a foot of snow on the ground).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Yep I vote Civic!

My old coworker had the CUTEST 2 door Civic Coupe. I wanted 4 doors though, so no dice for me.
  • Orson, my Hybrid, is a 2005. Great in the snow. Better in tight spaces. Backseat doesn't go down for storage, but I don't need that much space at the moment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'll check out the Civics too. Ex-bff had one though and had nothing but problems with hers, so that makes me a little leary. And she took ridiculously good care of it.
  • My Dodge Stratus has a surprising amount of trunk space.  I could throw a few bodies in there, easy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I loved my civic.   We have a truck in the city and yet oddly it does not bother me.   I do not drive much, so that might be it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport now...I like it, but it definitely doesn't have "get up and go."  And because it's so light, if it is really windy outside, it is harder to keep straight on the road.  It is really good on gas and suprisingly has a lot of space, though.

I had two Buick Lesabres before this and I loved them.  But those are pretty big cars.

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm still driving my 2001 Altima. Still looks great and works wonderfully. (Knock wood), it's never needed any repairs besides a brake job and 1 set of new tires. I've been super-happy with it.

My sister just bought a Kia, not sure which model, but it's absolutely adorable and totally loaded.

I can't stand SUVs and just don't get the appeal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_small-car-drivers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:67048c90-0906-4f25-b124-db041f20809ePost:ecb46da5-2634-41e6-8892-392452ac089f">Re: Small car drivers...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still driving my 2001 Altima. Still looks great and works wonderfully. (Knock wood), it's never needed any repairs besides a brake job and 1 set of new tires. I've been super-happy with it. My sister just bought a Kia, not sure which model, but it's absolutely adorable and totally loaded. <strong>I can't stand SUVs and just don't get the appeal.</strong>
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

For me, it was the price. I got a stupidly good deal on mine. The extra space has also been really nice, and it's built like a tank. If I had been in H's car when I got rear ended by another SUV in October, I would have been much worse off than I was in my SUV.
  • I bought my '03 Malibu brand new back in '03 and loved that car. Mine was loaded, which was a must for me as I live at the beach and have a black lab - that makes leather essential.  I drove it right up until about 4 weeks ago when I just bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander. As much as I liked my Malibu...I freaking LOVE my Highlander. Yes, it's an SUV but it has a ton of get up and go and gets great gas milage. It's roomy. I love that car...even though we're a chevy family and I thought I'd never own anything else.
  • We've been looking for a car to downsize from my truck since I commute 30 miles daily and we'd love to save some money on gas.  Our top 3 are Mazda 3 4 door, Hyundai Elantra 4 door and Toyota Corolla S.  We're still in the research and money saving phase though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_small-car-drivers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:67048c90-0906-4f25-b124-db041f20809ePost:dbf79faf-3dca-42d2-a549-21a8efa82f1d">Re: Small car drivers...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Subaru is the way to go! My H drives a Subaru WRX, but you'd probably like a Subaru Impreza.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>Love Subaru.  I have an Outback, which is not small, but I've ridden in friends' cars (Impreza Outback Sport and the higher end, hatchback Impreza), and they're awesome, too.  Can't beat the AWD if you live in a snowy area, although you sacrifice a bit in gas mileage.  I walked away from a bad accident in my Outback, and after that I'm going to be a Subaru lifer.  </div>
  • I have a Mini Cooper convertible and I LOVE it. I can weave around traffic easily since my car is wee.

Though I have the Sport model on loan at the moment, and I don't want to give it back. I should've gotten the Sport. Next time!
  • My first two cars were Volvos followed by three Jeep  Gr. Cherokee Loredos.

My next car will be a Prius so I can screw the oil companies back the way they screwed me!
  • I'm on Chevy Malibu #3, and I have to say... I wouldn't look at anything else. I'm not the best drive in the world (to say the least), and they have been tanks. While I've totaled 2 of them, they have held up insanely well given the accidents (rolled one, was rear-ended in the other).

I love, love, LOVE mine. I had a '97, an '02, and now I have an '06... my '06 is a 4 cyl. and driving to school and back, I get over 30 mpg... city I get 20+. Love, love, love my Malibu.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_small-car-drivers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:67048c90-0906-4f25-b124-db041f20809ePost:4b448410-7d1b-431d-909f-4c34c2723ff7">Re: Small car drivers...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not the best drive in the world (to say the least), and they have been tanks. While I've totaled 2 of them, they have held up insanely well given the accidents (rolled one, was rear-ended in the other).
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]
    Please stop driving.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_small-car-drivers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:67048c90-0906-4f25-b124-db041f20809ePost:9cbb429f-316f-46a1-8718-b84b29fb0463">Re: Small car drivers...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Small car drivers... : Please stop driving.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

Ha! Kelly, you DO seem to have bad luck. *KNOCK ON WOOD* I've only been in 2 accidents-one in highschool which was basically just a door ding, and the other in October, when I was rear ended. That one was no so fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards