Attire & Accessories Forum

Just bought my gown and I'm freaking out!

Hi! I think I'm having the quickest case of buyer's remorse in the WORLD, so I need a little honest criticism/praise/thoughts... Here is a pic of my dress... I literally bought it this morning for $440, the price sold me on it, as well as the back! I took it to the tailor today and when she was placing the pins, it seemed like it may not be as tailorable as I thought!!!! It's about 4 sizes too big on me, and now that it's out of my sight I've started worrying. I believe the material is chiffon...

What do you think of the dress, honestly? And has anyone else had a chiffon dress that was hard to tailor??

PS- if this is spastic, I apologize. I didn't sleep last night because I was so excited about my appt and now I'm running on caffeine!! Tongue Out

Re: Just bought my gown and I'm freaking out!

• The material is chiffon to me, and I think it looks stunning on you. congrats!
  • It looks stunning on you! I have yet to find my dress so I don't know the feeling yet
  • Its gorgoeus!! Just remember the feeling u had when u put it on...how beautiful u felt..youll be fine..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • I think it's beautiful! I bought my dress at a sample sale and when I walked out of the store my very first thought was "oh crap, what did I do?" Once I got home I looked at the pictures and remembered how it made me feel and how much I love it. 
    Anniversary
  • Wow, that's really beautiful! I think you look gorgeous in the dress. :)
  • Totally normal, I picked my dress and walked out with a knot in my stomach. After a day of looking at it nonstop I eventually had the same big smile on my face.

Trust your seamstress.
  • I think it is beautiful!  And for $440?!  A steal!   Trust that the seamstress will make it look perfect.  I think a lot of girls have a little doubt after buying their dress.  When you see it again, you will fall in love all over.
  • Gorgeous dress! Wish I could go with no bra so I could pull something like that off. I think at some point 99% of brides have 2nd thoughts. I had 3rds and 4ths too, but stuck with my dress. I'm so glad I did. Most dresses are alterable. I hated the back of mine, so they said I could add a corset instead of the zipper. So ecstatic. Don't worry too much. Once you get it back and it fits and looks great, you'll feel better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Ditto PPs.  A LOT of girls have dress regret - I loved my dress when I first tried it on, and now I know it's the perfect dress for me, but when I put down my deposit my heart sank.  It's a big decision - it's not like your wardrobe where you can just return items you change your mind on or replace next season, and they generally cost more money than we'll spend on an article of clothing ever again.  FWIW, I think your dress is beautiful, and if you loved it when you tried it on, then let this little panic attack fade and don't worry about it until you try on your dress again.  :)

As for altering the dress because it's chiffon - my dress is not that material, so I can't tell you how well your tailor will be able to shrink it down to your size, but if your tailor is confident that they can do it, I wouldn't stress.
  • The back of your dress is killer.  

Once it fits properly (doesn't look like it needs too much altering, just a little), it's going to be amazing.

I think everyone probably feels that way especially because most women have probably never spent that kind of money on just a dress.  But I think you made the right choice!

SaveSave
  • omg that gown is fabulous on you!  Rejoice that you found such a dream dress for such a great price! 
  • That dress is beautiful.. don't worry!
  • I think it looks great on you. And I completely agree, the back is gorgeous.
  • That is a gorgeous dress! I am sure your seamstress will be able to make the dress fit perfectly!
  • That dress is FAB-U-LOUS!!! Is it Maggie Sottero?

If a bridal shop sold you a dress and their alterations department said that it will be fine, then it will be fine. I had an alterations manager tell me that because of the material the dress couldn't be altered (I wanted the train shortened). As long as they are honest from the begining everything will turn out great.

I'll tell you what my mom told me when I was trying on dresses...."You have to be happy with the dress that you pick and nothing is worth getting upset over. If you get a dress and you don't like the way it looks in the end, we will have to find another dress because it's only money and this is your special day, everything will be the way that you want it...PERFECT!"

-Jul

• Don't worry - everyone has dress regret.  I had it after I bought my dress mainly because I HATE the way it looks on the model wearing it on the website.  Once it came in, I went to the store and tried it on, and fell in love with it again.  That same week I even went to Kleinfelds and tried on dresses there (that were 10 times the price) and even those didn't compare to my $700 dress :-)

It looks gorgeous on you, and once it fits correctly you will love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards