Kentucky-Louisville

Bring your own alcohol procedures?

I've seen some sites say that you can bring your own food and alcohol (specifically Sawyer-Hayes). I was wondering how this worked with the caterer that you choose. Do many caterers let you supply your own alcohol and licensed bartender? And do you just go to the local Liquor Barn or something and buy all of it there?

We want to have an outdoor wedding and reception in the same location. I've narrowed my list down to Sawyer-Hayes, Farnsley Morman Landing, and maybe a few other sites. Sawyer-Hayes was more expensive than Farnsley Morman, but if we end up saving a bunch on the cost of liquor then that would be a deal-breaker. Any help or suggestions are appreciated since we're on a tight budget!

Re: Bring your own alcohol procedures?

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would talk to your caterer.  You'll want a good bartender, and they'll need to have a liscense in order to be covered for liability purposes.  The caterer may have a bartender, or work with someone. 

As far as procuring your alcohol - yes, Liquor Barn is a good choice.  If you buy in bulk, they'll generally give you a discount.  I'm not sure if they'll let you return unopened bottles, though.  You should check on that.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't know how that worked if the caterers also have a liquor license to serve alcohol... if they'd want to serve their own alcohol and charge you their price or if they'd just give you a license bartender to serve the liquor you bought on your own.

The reason I ask if because Sawyer-Hayes lets you choose a caterer while others have "preferred lists." However, now that I think about it, I'll probably be using a caterer on the preferred list anyways since I've heard good things about many of them on these boards.

I'd LOVE to be able to buy our own alcohol and have a bartender just serve it since I've seen some crazy mark up prices.
  • edited December 2011
    We went to Party Mart on Brownsboro Road and met with a free party coordinator.  We gave him our guest list and he helped us pick out how much beer, wine, soda and supplies for a signature drink we should purchase.  He also gave us tubs and ice that will be delivered the day of.   They also have a return policy, so any beer we don't use (as long as it's still packaged) and wine we don't use, we can sell back.  They were incredibly helpful.
    edited December 2011
    Are you having your wedding/reception at Sawyer Hayes? And if so, who are you using for a caterer?
  • edited December 2011
    Our reception is not at Sawyer-Hayes.  We are shutting down my parents' street and having a block party, so we were free to choose who ever we wanted and we went with BBQ.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I just got married at the Old Medical School Building in downtown.  They let us bring our own alcohol.  We did get it from the the Liquor Barn and they give you a 5% discount on your order and take back any un-opened bottles of wine as long as it hasn't been chilled.  This worked out great for us.  Our caterer had bartender, but we opted to use a couple of bartenders that we knew.  They had no problem with this.  I do recommend that if you are supplying your own alcohol to get liability insurance which is pretty reasonable.  Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Cherry Red Events in Louisville offers a supply your own option, they supply the insured Bartender you supply the alcohol. We are using them for Sawyer -Hayes in October.
    edited December 2011
    kahkikae, I'm jealous. I would totally go that route if I could. However, we're not Louisville natives and don't really know much about where to go for weddings/receptions, etc. These boards have helped me a lot in the last few days to think of different ideas and save money.

I think I'm definitely going to try to find a place that lets us supply our own alcohol. Knowing our friends, that will save us a bunch of money. :)
    edited December 2011
    Birdie, just be creative when you think about receptions.  You can use virtually any space, some just take more work than others. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I think I"m adding stress to myself because we're not planning on being married in a church. If I knew of a great place to have the ceremony it would really open up options for a reception, but all I can find are places to have both in the same place.
  • edited December 2011
    Birdie, PM me with your e-mail.  I seriously think I looked at every venue possible in the city before deciding to go the route I did.  I have spread sheets with different venues and prices and stipulations etc.  I will e-mail it to you and that should help.  I even have listed if they can do both the wedding and the ceremony or just one or the other.

One of my favorite places was Anchorage Ballroom.  It was absolutely beautiful and a great price, but too small for all of our guests.  They don't have a place for the ceremony at the ballroom, but there are so many amazing places in Anchorage all with in walking distance.  There was a gazebo in the park.  There was a church front (the rest of it burned down) in the middle of a open field.  I mean really, it was beauitful and it sounds like what you are looking for.
    edited December 2011
    The church front sounds awesome (the site, not that it burnt down!) Smile We're not religious but we love historical stuff. Thanks a bunch!
    edited December 2011
    hey kahkikae, can you send me the spreadsheet?  I've started on a Kentucky & Louisville Bio with info like that in it, but I took a break to plan my own wedding.  I'd love to incorporate what you've got & share the link with everyone.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    Yes, I will get on that as soon as I get done with this stupid on line training for work :)  AKA: 1 hour in the conference room with a phone, a laptop and no one to see I'm on the wedding blogs.
  • edited December 2011
    My reception is at Sawyer Hayes and I'm going the bring my own alcohol route. I do have a caterer, so the caterer is providing the bartender. I'm also paying the caterer for liqour liability insurance. This is probably required at most any venue. I believe its $1-2/person. The caterer has offered to provide mixers, ice, cups, etc. Any caterer can probably give you an idea of the best place to buy liqour and estimates on how much they need and whats the best way to handle it. I was told kegs are too much work and often have alot left over (which you then can't return or enjoy after your honeymoon).
  • edited December 2011
    hey kahkikae, can you send me the spreadsheet too?   I'd love to incorporate what you've got & share the link with my mom. We have been looking for some kind of list but are unable to find one.   :) Thanks! It would be much appreciated!
  • edited December 2011
    Estrellaknows:  Can you send me your e-mail and I'll get it out to you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards