Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Non-Denomenational Pre-Wedding Counselor?

Hey!
My fiance is a non-practicing Catholic and I am Jewish.  We really want to get into premarital counseling but we both don't have churches/temples that we are members of...Does anyone have any recommendations about where we can go?

THANK YOU!

Re: Non-Denomenational Pre-Wedding Counselor?

• Options

Usually the person performing the ceremony does the counseling.  If you will have a JOP (or, in my case, a High priestess and high priest, as we are both Pagan), and there's no premarital counseling, you have very limited religious options.  Or you could go the non-religious route.  You could take a class, such as we did--we took a communications class together. 

In addition, we read a bunch of books, some of which I think were meant for younger couples (we were in our 40s when we married 2 years ago), but they were still helpful.  1001 questions to ask before you get married was great.  Gets you talking about things you may not have thought to ask the other person.  Lots of those books concentrate on parenting, so we skipped those sections, and went straight to the finance sections. 

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    you could always callaround at some of the local counseling centers inyour area and ask what they offer for premaritla counseling. but i would suggest asking other couples for therapist recs that attended, that way you get more honest info.
  • Options
    Try googling therapist locator (i think the website is therapistlocator.org). That website has certified counselors, therapists, psychologists, etc. from all walks of life. I think the search engine for finding a therapist is able to be pretty specific about what kind of counseling you're looking for. I used it when I was looking for a pre-marital counseler for FI and I as we're non-religious. Also, if you have insurance or benefits, check with them to see if they'll cover your sessions. I found out my job pays for 4 sessions a year for all employees. Also, I had a therapist suggest instead of saying you're looking for pre-marital counseling (to the insurance company) say that you're looking for relationship counseling b/c of relationship issues as a lot of insurance companies don't cover "pre-marital" counseling, but will cover "relationship" counseling. weird, but whatev, got my counseling done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards