Chit Chat

Not inviting an uncle and his family...Ugh!

So my FI and I have decided to not invite one of his uncles to our wedding, we will call the uncle...John.

John accused his nephew of doing innappropriate things last year and we finally found out it was a lie. So far he is not being cordial with this brother, calling his wife a redneck and other horrible names, and recently started talking to my FI about the incident.  This man was using inappropriate language and even said that we needed to have his daughter be the flower girl because it would save his family.

There is a hell of a lot more to it involving affairs and his wife beating him up (no joke!) and we have decided to not send him a wedding invite.

Seriously, has anyone had some crazy shiz go down with their family prior to their wedding??
Wedding Countdown Ticker Vacation

Re: Not inviting an uncle and his family...Ugh!

• He sounds crazy, but he's family. It's not like he's going to murder or beat up on your family on your wedding day. I think that if you don't invite him and invite all other family, you'd never hear the end of it. He'd harass you and your FI about it for who knows how long.

I understand that you can invite who-ever you want. But if you're inviting all others, and he and his family are the only family not invited..you're asking for hell. It'd be different if you had a small, intimate ceremony where only immediate family are invited. If you're having a wedding with bunch of people, and invited all family, except for his, that's where you're continuing problems and making them bigger. If you invite him, you wouldn't be spending much of time with him and his family anyways, and they couldn't hold grudge against you for inviting them.
  • I understand how you feel.  We've got crazies on both sides that we would rather not have present (ie FI's aunt who told me about how I should make sure he is ok supporting me since I'm *obviously* staying home once we get married, nevermind finishing medical school).

BUT we still invited all of those nut cases.  They are family and we wouldn't hear the end of it if we deliberately singled them out and invited everyone else.  Plus I would have felt mean.
  • Don't feel bad.  I'm not inviting two of my uncles, and possibly will not invite another.  The first two are big losers and talk crap about everyone.  One of them just threatened my brother last night. 

The third uncle I haven't decided if I will invite.  We got into it on Christmas Eve.  He said that I was not a good daugher.  He apologized the following day via voicemail, but I still haven't been able to forget or forgive.

I know they will be pissed when they found out they aren't invited but I really don't care.  If they weren't such asses they would have been invited!
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • PaddamillPaddamill member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I am just surprised at how all this stuff is happening at once. My uncle, not my fiances, recently took a painting that was given to me by my grandmother who just passed away April 1st. When I confronted him about it he told me he gave it to his ten year old daughter and that I was to take it up with her. I got incredibly frustrated since he kept telling me to talk to her and get it from her when....hello! She is a child! The thing that really got to me was the fact that my name was written on the back stating who it was for and who it was from and he still managed to take it without asking.

Now he says he will give it to me, but if we don't ever talk again it was because of me. How shitty is that!?

Why must this all happen haha!

As far as not inviting my fiance's uncle and his wife is strictly based on a false allegation of sexual abuse and his inappropriate language and loud mouth of telling everyone who would listen! SO DRAMATIC! I guess I am no better by blabbing this on a public forum haha! I am just stressed out because of this silliness! Why can't we all just get along?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Vacation
  • I to am not inviting an aunt of mine and her family. I do not have one happy memory of her and I believe that a wedding is a day where you inviting people you love and want to be apart of your life not people who you are connected to because you are related. I don't understand why so many people believe that you must invite family because if you don't it could offend someone.

It seems to me that you would have a lot less stress without these people in your life let alone at your wedding. Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards