Delaware

1st look at reception venue option *sigh*

So today FI and I went to look at Brantwyn Estates. It was our first pick but is totally not what we expected. It is so sectioned off. We really want a more open space so we can enjoy our dinner with all our guests and so they can all hear and see what's going on (cake cutting, 1st dance, etc.)

I went through excitement and anxiety about our first venue visit and now the low of it having a sizeable drawback and sticker shock of other options.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 1st look at reception venue option *sigh*

• EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yea, i looked there too, but didn't like the idea of having to separate guests...good luck with the search! are there others on your list to check out?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ugh, it's such a letdown when something doesn't live up to what you hoped it would.  What other venues are you looking at?  How many people?  What price range?  Is there a certain area you'd like to stay in?  Is there a "feel" you're going for?  Maybe we can help you think of some other places to check out.

• edited December 2011
    Definitely give us something to go on to help you. I can highly recommend the Stone Barn- depending on when you're getting married, it's gorgeous. Especially if its between April-November. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

How many guests are you having? Mine was a smaller wedding (80ppl). I looked at Bellevue Hall and it was the same type of thing - guests would be split up. I still loved the idea of a house-type setting so I looked at The Goodstay House and they had it set up to where all of the eating could be done in one room and the dancing in another whereas Bellevue the guests would be dining seperately. I wound up going with Goodstay and it was perfect! I have had so many compliments on how everything was set up and how intimate it felt and how it was one of the best weddings people had been to because of it not being the traditional wedding all in one room. I was so worried about it when I booked the place. Just something to ease your mind. I had the max that the venue could hold however so if you have a larger guest list then it wouldn't work there. But just a thought as far as arranging rooms if that is an option at Brantwyn?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MrsPnky2BMrsPnky2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies. Work is such an inconvience...I missed you guys today.

THANKS for your help!

We've been engaged 13 days and I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. Brantwyn was our 1st venue visit and our top pick.

We've expanded our list now, I guess we're more flexible and practical and are looking at things a little differently.

@EiDuffy - that's EXACTLY what we didn't like...the separate rooms.

New list includes:
    Mendenhall - already drove past and not a fan of exterior
    White Clay Creek CC
    Greenville CC
    Manions at Ridley Creek (Newtown, PA) - would require shuttle for guests

@ paprika28 - I'll check out the Stone Barn online, haven't heard of it

planned date - May/June 2012
    # of people - 100min, 150max
    reception budget - 12k-15k

venue style - intimate, outdoor scenery for pictures (flowers, patios, ponds, fountans)
    feel - intimate, modern, comfortable, classic
    wedding - Wilmington, DE (downtown)
    reception venue - ????? We'd like it to be no more than 30min from the church.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the stone barn is beautiful outdoors, but the indoor receptions areas were a bit too rustic for me...
    deerfield CC has really pretty indoor spaces, plus lots of green outside and a gazebo but is a bit more pricey...
    loch nairn is right over the line in PA (also a golf course) but has lots of green, and unique indoor spaces, reasonably priced from what i can remember...
    university and whist club has one small section of green and a tree, nice indoor space, reasonably priced...
    rockwood/carriage house- beautiful grounds, also more on the rustic side indoors...

HTH  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!  First off, take a deep breath.  You have a bit of time.  When I get home later on today, I will copy down the list of places that will work for your location, budget and guest amount.  Is that budget for your entire wedding, or just the reception?  That's a big difference, and something important to know.  And are you willing to do the work yourself, or do you want it all done for you?  That's another important one to note as well.  What church are you getting married in?

There are ton of places, you just need to know where to look.  When it's later on, and not 3 am, I will copy a list for you of places to look.  It will work out- you have plenty of time!  Take your time right now, and enjoy being engaged!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Ms.BriarRose - THANK YOU! Any venues you can suggest would be great!

12-15k is our budget for the reception
    I'm willing to do the work myself (though I don't know all of what that entails.) I imagine that means managing, finding and signing contracts with separate vendors for venue and food in addition to florist, photographer, etc.

We're planning on getting married at Bethel AME at 6th and Walnut, downtown Wilmington. We'd like the venue to be no more than 30min away from the church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_1st-look-reception-venue-option-sigh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:af0e3fd4-ff8b-4037-9aa2-d2111dd08274Post:7b6bcb9b-d936-4826-ba85-471de24ddbeb">Re: 1st look at reception venue option *sigh*</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ paprika28 - I'll check out the Stone Barn online, haven't heard of it planned date - May/June 2012 # of people - 100min, 150max reception budget - 12k-15k venue style - intimate, outdoor scenery for pictures (flowers, patios, ponds, fountans) feel - intimate, modern, comfortable, classic wedding - Wilmington, DE (downtown) reception venue - ????? We'd like it to be no more than 30min from the church.
    Posted by MrsPnky2B[/QUOTE]
    with that list of wants, u might want to check out the venue u'm using. Rockwood park the carriage house. it's a big park, caterers already taken care of with the venue (the greenery), they have any kind of food u could ask for. there's a manor house & other smaller buildings. a few gazebos spread around the place, & an 1800's manor. & u can deffinitely come in under ur budget.
  • edited December 2011
    Greenvlle CC is nice - I attended a wedding there last summer. The sun sets behind the trees in the distance which I'm sure makes for great pics!!!

I've also been at a few weddings at the Mendenhall. There's nothing really impressive outside but the food has been good.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    MrsPnky--your budget fits into my venue also, which is the Clarion Hotel in New Castle.  it's right on DuPont Hwy. kmd is using it for her venue as well... it's beautiful and recently renovated to look like a southern plantation. 

If you want to check it out its www.clarionbelle.com
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies.

@ Wicked+Rairy - Rockwood is now on the list. An 1800's manor is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. We need to go check it out. I'd like an outdoor reception with indoor back up option for our min 100 max 150 guests.

@JordynAlexander - For some reason I thought you had to be a member to have a wedding at Greenville CC?

@RecoveringActor - Clarion Belle is nice! Better than I would've imagind. I don't think it has the outdoor scenary we want but thanks a ton for that find!

We've also expanded our max list from the church to 30min and will have hotel options for guests in DE and up that way and maybe a coach bus (if we can afford it.)

Our new love is Ridley Creek Mansion! We're going to look at it on Thursday. They're booked in our preferred months though so we'd have to be flexible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at Greenville, it's beautiful but may be out of your range ... As for being a member, they will find you a "sponsor."

Did you check our Archmere Academy? Beautiful too.

I have heard alot of people recommend the Farmhouse in DE.
  • edited December 2011

The only thing with the Farmhouse is that it suffers from the same problem that Brantwyn Estates does... everyone is kind of spread out in different rooms.  Gzilla's cousin was married there two years ago, and it was a really beautiful wedding, but because of where we were sitting, we couldn't see her cut the cake, and we barely saw the first dance.

The food was pretty good, though.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ happywithhim715 - I forgot about Archmere! Thanks! It is gorgeous inside. Not a ton of floral scenes but we might go elsewhere if we really need that. Maybe even the next day???

@RecoveringActor - yep definitely don't want that. I went to a wedding with seperate dining areas last summer and was not pleased I couldn't really hear or see who was talking and toasting. The tables in our room started talking apparently a little loudly. Def want folks to see the 1st dance and cake. Noticed they were standing a little crammed to do that in Brantwyn wedding pics online.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards