October 2012 Weddings

QOTD 10/29

Since Sandy is starting to hit here in NY, I figred a storm QOTD was appropriate.

What was the worst storm that you have ever been in?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 10/29

• The ice storm in 1998 here in Quebec was pretty scary... I had just moved out on my own... and well I was terrified.
  • Camped out for Sandy here in NYC! I'm in the third evacuation zone and they only called for the first, so we're staying put. We're also on the second floor, so that's good. But, still, fingers crossed!

To answer the actual question, I'm from Miami originally (hurricanes must love me?) and we survived Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. We had a lot of damage to our home,  but we survived and so did most of our home and posessions, so we were lucky.
    Anniversary
  • The first year I moved to Orlando we had hurricanes Charley, Frances, Jean and Ivan. Yeah after not having power for 3 weeks at a time I was about to move far away from the south hahaha. And since hurricanes seem to like me we definitly had hurricane Sandy's presence at our windy ceremony.  :)
  • I'm used to being on the outskirt of severe tornado damage, but for personal experience - we had an ice storm in December 2007 that left me without power for 9 days. I had well water at the time, so I had nothing! No heat, no water, no lights. I was rather nomadic, and stayed at a few different places during that time.
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • I went to collge in Oswego, NY, which is in central NY right on Lake Ontario.  We used to get lake effect snow which was amazing <insert sarcasm here>.  Junior year it snowed for 3 days straight and ended with about 5 feet of snow.  It was incredibly windy, I thought my house would blow away.  My car looked like a giant snow mound and there was snow drifted up to the second floor windows of my house.  It was so scary to go outside.

I'm not such a fan of Hurricane Sandy either though.  Getting windy here and scarier as the day goes on.
  • I think that worst storm that I have been in is the October 4, 1987, storm, (yes I am dating myself here).  We still had leaves on the trees and it snowed about 2 feet of heavy, wet snow.  We woke up to trees breaking because of the weight of the snow.  There was absolutely no warning of any type of storm beforehand.  The reason that I remember the date is because it was my brother's birthday and he was having a bunch of friends sleep over and they we camped out in the yard that night.  It had started raining and the tent collapsed so they came inside.  They got really lucky!!

We ended up being without power for over a week.  This is when we learned that a gas grill can cook just about anything!!
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I grew up in the Binghamton NY area, and we were there for major blizzards in '93 and '96.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards