Getting in Shape

Working out on lunch/breaks?

Does anyone workout on their lunch/breaks?

I used to walk almost 2 miles on my lunch. However, due to switching jobs I no longer have that access. I dont work in the best part of town but its not the worst. Its not really a place where I want to go walking around. We are thinking about joining a local gym but  they are at least 15-20 mins away from where I work & I only get a hour lunch.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could incorporate some excercise into my breaks or lunch?

Photobucket

Re: Working out on lunch/breaks?

• I workout during lunch and usually get back within the hour. Can you come in earlier to extend your lunch to workout? You can jump rope in your office/outside do situps, squats, pushups.

What type of gym are you looking for? What type of workout are you aiming for?
  • I am looking for cardio or a walk/run type thing. I am gonna see how long it takes to get to the gym we want to join.

Photobucket
  • Do you have an office? I used to do push ups, squats, tricep dips on a chair during the day.

Now I'm in an open office and can't close the door, so don't feel comfortable doing that any more.  My gym is only about 5 minutes from my office, so I do the elliptical and lift weights during my lunch breaks sometimes. Once the weather is nice I'll probably walk outside a couple days a week instead.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • There's a gym a block away from my office, but I don't want to have to change and then come back to the office sweaty, so I just walk around. I bring flats to change into during lunch.

Do you have stairs? Can you just run up and down the stairs a few times?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I work on the 12th floor at work and do a full run down and up in the afternoon. I also second the squats and dips in the office. We have a file room at my office that another coworker and I go in to do a few workouts everyday. Hope that helps!

• We dont have stairs at work. I work in an office with a bunch of guys- not seperated and there are tons of windows with customers coming by at all times so I dont think they would want me to workout in here. The only place I would have at work to do anything is the bathroom which I cant take up for 20-30 mins.

I could go home at lunch but to drive 15 mins home and back everyday seems like a waste of gas. I could walk at a local mall thats a block away but it wouldnt be non-stop walking
    Photobucket
  • I don't have a good answer for you, but I wish I could workout during lunch as well! I recently visited our west coast campus in San Jose and they had a FULL GYM right across from the huge cafeteria! It was amazing and I wish we had one in our east coast office!!
    TEST
  • Just getting outside and walking for 30 minutes at about 3 mph gives you an extra 150 or so calories burned -- over 5 days that adds up to 750 calories!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've thought about working out during lunch, but I, like msmerymac, wouldn't want to have to change and then come back sweaty. 

For me, what works best is to go after work.  As much as you'd like to fit something in, other that mall walking, it doesn't look like you have too many other options.

As much as I dislike getting home after 7 on nights that I workout, you just have to make time for your health.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was going to suggest something inside like a mall.  Is the mall that's a block a way crowded?  Is that why you can't do non-stop walking?  It's good to vary your speed so maybe the mall would still be a good option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards