Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Vow Renewal

My husband and I actually got legally married last month. He is in the army and were told he would be deploying in March. Thankfully, due to some issues with his unit, they aren't set to deploy again for about two years. We had a quick courthouse wedding, literally announced it on Sunday and got married on Monday, with only my cousin and daughter present (our other witness was literally a secretary from down the hall).
We had planned on having a vow renewal when he returned from deployment, but now that we know that will be a long long time away, we have decided we want to have some sort of celebration or ceremony, currently thinking a date around our anniversary.
I am totally unsure of how to handle this. I'd like to have a full blown wedding (dress, attendants, reception and all) but have heard that its not "proper" to do that with a vow renewal. Any suggestions?

Re: Vow Renewal

• Options
    coloradomemacoloradomema member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are renewing our vows on June 18, after 37 years of marriage.  We are doing it as we want to.  I am wearing my dream gown, having a garden reception at our home, wedding cake and all.  The only difference I can see is that you should have your bridal attendants.  It is a special day for the two of you, do it the way you want to or you will regret it later.  Congratulations!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sweetie, do what you and your husband want. Don't worry about 'proper etiquette'. My husband and I had courthouse wedding, now we're planning the 'full shingid' lol for our five year anniversary. The only opinions that matter in this case, are that of you and your husband. Good luck and congratulations!
  • Options
    MarieP06MarieP06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're having a full wedding/reception on our 6th annivesary next summer. Due to personal reasons,we had a courthouse wedding with our parents and my daughter (from previous marriage) there with plans to have the "real thing" the following spring. A baby,lack of finances,and other reasons made us have to wait. As far as etiquette goes, it is constantly, albeit gradually changing. It used to be taboo to have a wedding and/or gift registry after living together. Now, it is a non-issue. We will be sending out save the dates since summer is a major vacation time and our invites will be exactly like wedding invitations with the exception of asking them to attend our vow renewal instead of wedding. We interchageably refer to it as our wedding/vow renewal. Have the whole experience. This is once in a lifetime for you and your husband. Make beautiful wedding memories for you both to cherish.

• Options
    LizdcLizdc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing this same thing. I had a dec courthouse legal wedding. We had just the two of us. We had been planning a ceremony and reception on a beach in FL near my hubby's parents. I am wearing a white wedding dress. It is a simple one but it is a wedding dress. My hubby and his son and my son are wearing tuxedos. We are doing a dinner the night before for our families and out of town guest, and a picnic reception right after in the gazebo that will be set with formal tables. I am having a cake made and hired a pro photographer. There are people coming from something like 5 or 6 states even though it is only 20 plus people. Everyone knows we are legally married. One of the reasons we are still doing the ceremony and reception is that they all asked us to. Everyone is super excited that we decided to go ahead with it even after we got married for good reasons before it could happen.
    I married the man I was supposed to marry when I was young so some of my friends and family feel like they have been waiting for this for 20 years.

One warning that I have found here on the knot. Somehow this idea really upsets some people around here. For the life of me I don't know why. If you are happy and your guests are happy then that should be what matters.
    Just a word to the wise ignore it if you find it here. Or don't overexplain if all you are looking for is advice on reception halls.

There are a lot of reasons that people don't have the luxury to wait for when they can plan a big wedding before they get legally married. Also I have been to and in many an event where no one gets legally married (gay and strait) because they can't or because they don't feel the need to sign the paperwork. Those events had hundreds of people at them that flew across the country full well knowing there would be no marriage license.
    I think the people who love you want to share in your happiness and aren't worried about your legal status.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards