Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

who gets invited to the shower?

i don't even really want a shower but my MOH is pretty much insisting on having one lol which is really sweet of her. she emailed me asking who i would like to invite, more of a head count as of right now. i don't even know who traditionally gets invited to the shower? help?!?!

Re: who gets invited to the shower?

• Women in wedding party, both moms, any sisters on either side, and other than that, your closest friends and family members.  (Usually grandmothers, aunts, some cousins).

• IMO, showers should be small, intimate parties.  I'm not in the "invite all women invited to the wedding" camp.

I don't think a guest list should exceed 25, and that includes the bride, the moms, the WP, and closest friends and/or family.

My SIL had one of those 75 people in a catering hall showers.  It was big, impersonal, and the gift opening went on for freaking-ever.

My DD's shower was in our backyard with a guest count of 21.  It was, again, IMO, perfect.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I am keeping mine to 25 or under, not typical in my family (usually about 40).  On my guest list: my mom, 2 aunts, 3 cousins, FI's mom, stepmom, 2 Grannies, 2 aunts and 2 SILs, and 7 of my friends, including the BMs. 

My friend thinks hers will be about 40 and I groaned. Her mom & FMIL are in the camp of inviting their friends who my friend hasn't seen for years, or in FMIL case, has never even met. I am all about the bride making the guest list and insisting it's kept to that. My mom was a little shaky about the small list at first, but I was like "this is what I want" and she said ok.
    Crosswalk
  • BTW, I was the SAME way (not wanting one) but one of my BM's was like "people want to do this for you" so I compromised. We are doing a tea party theme.
    Crosswalk
  • ohhhh love the tea party idea. i have no idea about anything that's going on with this. i was told that i'm purposely being kept in the dark about it lol. so we'll see what happens.
  • My shower was just  the women from MH's and my imediate family and a few of my closest friends.
  • This is so refreshing to hear.

I'm a BM in my best friend's wedding and her guest list for her shower is over 40 people. I thought she was crazy considering some of the people are her FMIL's work friends and ladies that she rolled her eyes about inviting to the wedding. IMO, why have them at your shower if you don't want them there? Wedding party, immediate family and close friends sounds about right to me.

Mine had about 16 people and it was so perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards