Texas-Austin

dress alterations

My dress just came in and I am super excited to pick it up. I am a little nervous about alterations and do not know what to expect price range-wise.  The woman said something about a bustle and I am sure the length will need tweaking. 

It is a corset back so she said there should be minimal alterations there.  I won't have dress fittings until December, but what can I expect?  What are some common prices for alterations you have had?  Also, any recommendations on seamstresses around town?

Thanks!

Re: dress alterations

• edited December 2011
    i got quotes from triana's tailors and alexia gavela.  both seemed highly competent, but in the end i ended up going with alexia gavela (i didn't buy my dress there).  i will need hemming, bustle & sides slightly taken in and it's going to run at $200+.  my dress is all lace though, which is probably more expensive than alterations to a non-lace fabric.  they're also storing it for me, which was a huge help.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow that's awesome about storing it.  How much did that cost?  Storing it is going to an issue for me, so that is definitely something to look into.
  • edited December 2011

it's free (if you either buy a dress there or tailor it).  not sure if they store for a fee if you don't use them for alterations.

• edited December 2011
    I am not much help here-- the place that I bought my dress makes a promise that it will not be more than $250 to alter. They also store the dress till the wedding. Did you get your dress at a bridal store?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I bought it at Blush Bridal Lounge, but they have already told me they do not store them. = (
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well Alexia Gavela is right down the street from Blush, so you won't have far to transport it. I bought mine at AG, and I love Geri! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much.  I am going to look into Alexia Gavela.  I have been there before and it would be an easy transport.

When you stored it there did you have to pay a deposit, sign a contract?  I am just wondering because I won't start fittings until December.  Will they store it that long?
  • edited December 2011
    i think i took my dress to AG in february and my first fitting will be in september.  no deposit or a contract.  i got a handwritten receipt listing the alterations and the approximate price.  i have been back (because i bought a wrong color veil and geri is dying it for me to match the dress) and the dress is alive and well =)
  • edited December 2011

I'm not much help on the AG salon, but my alterations cost about 260.00 and I had to have it taken in one full size on the sides, about 2-3 inches on the bottom, straps removed, and bustled.

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards