Not Engaged Yet

My Strange Addictions

I will start off by explaining that I I am posting this under an AE because this may be sensitive subject to some; I know it is for me. TLC was on and I happened across the new commericial for "My Strange Addiction" . The woman who sleeps with her hairdryer drew my attention immediately. I have an obsession with my hairdryer as well and I used to sleep with it frequently in my younger years. Now, when I am alone without my SO, I will turn it on and sit it next to me. I attempted some research into this but did not find much aside from forums that were mocking this woman. I understand it is likely some pursuant method of self-soothing and the sound to me drowns out the world. I just never thought anyone else did it.

So question for all of you who may be more brave than me and want to share:

Do you have any strange addictions?

Re: My Strange Addictions

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think as children we each had our own object that would calm us down.  Perhaps a hair dryer was yours.  As we get older certain people still hold that object in their minds as a connection to something that they feel can calm them down and give them comfort.  Objects can be anything, a stuffed animal, a piece of cloth, a blow dryer.  My brother in law (older sister's husband) has a squishy ball the size of a pea that he keeps inside the pillow cover of the pillow he slips on and he likes to roll it between his fingers from time to time when he's falling asleep in bed.

I have a childhood blanky that started off whole and through the years of me sticking and digging my fingers through it, is now a ball of string.  It is at my parents house, I call it binky.  AnywaysI'm sure if I had it with me I would bring it out from time to time to run my fingers through it when I needed comfort.  The texture of the cloth along my finger tips feels  good and calms me down.  Yes I have a binky and I am going to be buried with it, that will definitely be in my will and wishes after I die. 
  • edited December 2011
    I also have a strange attachment to my blanket. I had another one when I was much younger but now it's all ratty, so I now have a standard comforter that I am attached to. I am particularly attached to the way it smells, and for that reason, I refuse to wash it (I know, I know, it's gross). My mother has threatened to throw it out when I'm away, and I will FLIP OUT if she does so.
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't think of any, but I'm sure I do have some. We all have strange habits, things we do, that could be called addictions I guess. 

I don't think the hair dryer thing is all that strange. Like you and Lyn said, it's a comfort object. We all have those. 

In the preview for that show, I saw a woman eating laundry soap. I have to wonder what that might do to your health...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • stargazer1458stargazer1458 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, glad to know we all have our addictions. Since I am not a regular I did not want to come on here and put this out there before you all even knew me. I would assume that is not the best first impression but I wanted to know that I was not abnormal.

By the way, I am in Montana but I cannot get my city to change above. I have fixed all my settings and cannot get it to switch. If this thread does not make me feel terrible I will probably keep this AE since I am not a frequent poster on this board. Is there a way to change it, my address and everything on the account page is in Montana?
  • edited December 2011
    Hey another Cincy person?! Am I finally not alone because that would be sweet. No offense to my out of state ladies but I would like to have more than just Owl, Moo, and I in the Buckeye state. lol.

Anyway, I am with Lyn on having a blanket as my comfort item. That and a really really old stuffed Eyeore. I still sleep with him if I have to sleep without FI. I think we all have something that reminds us of childhood or a good time in our life and puts us at ease. Nothing wrong with that!

If you're sane you can totally stay and play. lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Don't we already have a stargazer??

Anyway, I can't think of an addiction that I really have... I tend to become addicted to things on a short term basis and then get bored by them after a while... like Sims 3... I was addicted to playing it and then it bored me! So, I stopped...

I never really had a blankie or a doll that I was addicted to... My roommate in college had a little stuffed elephant that was as old as she was and she would sit with it and watch tv... any time she was in the room she had it on her...

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lyz, there's a new expansion for Sims 3 that I just got for Christmas which is AWESOME. It's the Late Night expansion and I've been playing a bit more now.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_strange-addictions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:63e292e5-f255-473e-8f67-a0bba5318fe8Post:faa8dc68-9507-4ac6-8189-31ab6062b66a">Re: My Strange Addictions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lyz, there's a new expansion for Sims 3 that I just got for Christmas which is AWESOME. It's the Late Night expansion and I've been playing a bit more now.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

I never really enjoyed the expansions... even when I played Sims 2... they just slowed the game down so much... I used to load my computer with extra content like furniture and clothes that I would download and it made the game take forever to start...

I actually took it out of my computer after a month of obsessive play... Im afraid to put it back lol
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I catch myself playing with my hair absentmindedly all the time. It's kind of a nervous habit. Twirling, twisting, etc.

I don't think the hair dryer thing is all that weird. Tons of people sleep with white noise machines or fans running.
  • edited December 2011
    At least your blow dryer isn't an unhealthy or harmful addiction like smoking, drinking, self mutilating, hording, or eating laundry detergent. It might be because you like to have noise in the background? I like to have the TV on when I am alone and I sleep with a buck knife (not as an addiction but for protection)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_strange-addictions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:63e292e5-f255-473e-8f67-a0bba5318fe8Post:ede639d3-65a1-4bff-be09-1fc8efe65d73">Re: My Strange Addictions</a>:
    [QUOTE]At least your blow dryer isn't an unhealthy or harmful addiction like smoking, drinking, self mutilating, hording, or eating laundry detergent. It might be because you like to have noise in the background? I like to have the TV on when I am alone and I sleep with a buck knife (not as an addiction but for protection)
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

Hide your wife and your kids! 

Where the hell are you that you feel the need to skeep with a buck knife when you're alone? 
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it an addiction if everytime I enter a new space I have to have an exit plan in case of fire?  I'm terrified of buildings catching on fire.

Like an addiction to finding the exits? LOL

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Just spending a few hours of the day (about 2) doing literally nothing and just letting my mind wander and thinking about whatever. I'd get completely exhausted without doing that for some reason.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_strange-addictions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:63e292e5-f255-473e-8f67-a0bba5318fe8Post:a8603a94-3ca6-413a-8ff6-210bbf430834">Re: My Strange Addictions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Strange Addictions : Hide your wife and your kids!  Where the hell are you that you feel the need to skeep with a buck knife when you're alone? 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I actually live in a really safe neighborhood. There is really like zero crime around me. I am just super paranoid. I am getting a hand gun for my birthday and I am really excited. </div><div>
    </div><div>THREAD JACK :-)

</div>

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_strange-addictions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:63e292e5-f255-473e-8f67-a0bba5318fe8Post:569c2419-f4e3-440e-97c5-a8114d93172b">Re: My Strange Addictions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just spending a few hours of the day (about 2) doing literally nothing and just letting my mind wander and thinking about whatever. I'd get completely exhausted without doing that for some reason.
    Posted by mzm153[/QUOTE]

mzm, I can kind of understand this. I need down time for my brain, too. For me, it has to do with two things: 1) being an introvert by nature. Introverts "recharge their batteries" by spending alone time, whereas extraverts do so by spending time with others. 2) my brain works differently than most people's. After spending a lot of time during the day/week making my brain work "normally," y'know, out in the world, I have to let it unwind and return to its natural state, or I'll go nuts. Maybe those things apply to you, too?
  • edited December 2011
    I can relate to MZM and Marley. I'm an introvert, and sometimes I don't think people really understand just needing to be ALONE. 
    My strange addictions...the smell of hay and grain and hydraulic fluid, I grew up a farm and for some reason those smells are always really familiar to me, even after being away for awhile, and they comfort me.
     Also I have a "lefty" it's a stuffed donkey. SO HATES it, because as he puts it, lefty gets all the good cuddle spots. My grandmother gave it to me, I couldn't have been older than 10, she got it because she thought it was a horse, and I love horses. Its a donkey though, and I've never spent a night apart from him. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards