Not Engaged Yet
Options

Facebook mystery

Last night I got on Facebook and spotted a nice photo of one of my best friends from late high school to mid college. She was in a wedding dress... walking down an aisle... man on her arm... smiling ear to ear.

My first reaction was "Holy crap, I didn't know she was getting married!" and then I realized I didn't even know she was engaged to begin with... but I decided that was just due to growing apart, even though I was still bummed that she didn't even mention that she was getting married when I had talked to her a couple months ago.

Within an hour another of my friends (and one of the girls best friends as recently as a year ago) had posted something along the lines of "Why didn't you tell me?" and then several OTHER friends from our area who had all been very close friends with this girl posted "Wow I had no idea" and "Wait what?" etc. One of them contacted me and was talking about how hurt she was that she wasn't told and had to find out on facebook.

And the weirder part, is that this girl has deleted every single comment on her wall that says "congrats" or anything about her getting married... and she also somehow COMPLETELY removed the option to view photos from her facebook (instead of just untagging that wedding one). 

She hasn't posted anything like "Yes I'm married, thanks guys!" or "Oh that wasn't a wedding, we were shooting a scene for an indie movie, tehe!" (which was my second thought after being shocked.) I figured if she eloped she would have at least sent a message to the people that commented on her wall to say "shhh! and surprise!" or if it wasn't actually a wedding that she'd give some sort of explanation. I sent her a message asking if she's married or not and "congrats" and she never responded.

It really has me confused!! You'd think she'd explain to those who have asked!

Any of you had any of these crazy facebook situations? Any thoughts on this one because it's making my brain hurt, lol!

Re: Facebook mystery

• Options
    lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I can think of is a BSC moment with Photoshop? Who knows! Sounds interesting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:d5eab526-1067-47db-9586-ed6967e365f7">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I can think of is a BSC moment with Photoshop? Who knows! Sounds interesting!
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]

hahaha, that would definitely deserve some kind of BSC award...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh it looked totally legit and someone else posted it with "congrats ___ and ___!" I just want a brief explanation! I won't lose sleep over it but it's still just so weird that she wouldn't tell anyone anything at all.

Like, I've had friends post "Omg I'm engaged!!" or "We're having a baby!" But it's actually from where someone got into their facebook and decided it'd be a funny joke. The victim would say "Whoops, not getting married/having baby... soandso thought it would be funny to say that! last time i leave my computer unlocked! Thanks and sorry for the confusion!" or at least SOMETHING!

It's just weird to me she seems to be hiding everything she can, but won't say anything to people she has known for years even privately!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:701f8f3e-0a3c-4266-90cb-99ea7b2152ca">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook mystery : hahaha, that would definitely deserve some kind of BSC award...
    Posted by swhite2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Most definitely! </div><div>
    </div><div>To wink: I can't imagine why she'd be keeping something like that from her best friends! I really cannot figure it out. I'M going to lose sleep over it, damnit! It's like a good mystery novel. The Case of the Mystery Wedding</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Shot gun wedding cause she's preggers?
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like she's completely pulled away from a lot of her former friends and just doesn't want you guys to know anything about what's happening in her life. That is weird. If she eloped or got married or whatever, she could have at least acknowledged all of your congrats with a "thanks" but seems she's cutting people out. Which makes one wonder why she didn't just unfriend you all instead of hiding pics. 

But on FB you can hide pics from anyone. Even your friends. I'm currently going through albums every few days and making them visible "only to me" (the option in the privacy settings) in anticipation of a job hunt in August though. Just in case a firm checks social media, they really don't need to see me drunk and partying back in college (:::or cough...like two weeks ago..cough:::). But that is a totally legit reason. Just shutting it down temporarily. 

What an odd situation. On a sadder note, it makes me suspicious of the relationship just because I had a friend with an abusive husband who completely alienated her from all of her friends. So this kind of sudden shut out with no explanation makes me side-eye things. 
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:4268e25f-958e-4624-8b7d-96a204996128">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]On a sadder note, it makes me suspicious of the relationship just because I had a friend with an abusive husband who completely alienated her from all of her friends. So this kind of sudden shut out with no explanation makes me side-eye things. 
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That was my first thought :(</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hmmm... shotgun wedding could be possible, but even then I'd think she'd say "Thanks" or something to us rather than just deleting everything.

I know she had been dating the guy for a while, they work at the same place and judging by what I've seen on facebook neither of them have come into any super religion recently. Nothing seemed odd when I talked to her a couple months ago.

Case of the Mystery Wedding it is!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:6ddc6dac-4865-4ad5-8bf5-d0a802bfab54">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]Case of the Mystery Wedding it is!
    Posted by wink0erin[/QUOTE]

<div>We need Sherlock Holmes! Can we please get the Robert Downey Junior version in here?</div><div>
    </div><div>On a more serious note, I hope the reason is something not sad or shady like an abusive relationship. I would just ask her, I guess, if the reason doesn't come to light eventually.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will have to keep you all updated if I find out any new facts!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:024b4eec-98bd-4df4-93bc-f9dc03d6a1d7">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook mystery : We need Sherlock Holmes! <strong>Can we please get the Robert Downey Junior version in here?</strong> On a more serious note, I hope the reason is something not sad or shady like an abusive relationship. I would just ask her, I guess, if the reason doesn't come to light eventually.
    Yes please...
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, my first thought was a possible abusive situation as well (one of the signs is alienating oneself from your friends)...

But since, as you say, you're not really BFFs, she might just want to chill out the facebook chaos for now.

Is there any chance she's applying for her first job?  Cause I hear rumors that even being engaged (and wearing the ring to the interview) is very bad when you're applying to be a lawyer
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:024b4eec-98bd-4df4-93bc-f9dc03d6a1d7">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook mystery : We need Sherlock Holmes! Can we please get the <strong>Robert Downey Junior</strong> version in here? On a more serious note, I hope the reason is something not sad or shady like an abusive relationship. I would just ask her, I guess, if the reason doesn't come to light eventually.

<div>
    </div><div>mmmm...that would be nice :)</div><div>
    </div><div>seriously though its very weird and I hope she's ok. The only thing I can think of is the some important people were not invited and she doesn't want to face the drama...</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_facebook-mystery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9f2841eb-cb9b-4442-a6ef-4d9516e5819cPost:4268e25f-958e-4624-8b7d-96a204996128">Re: Facebook mystery</a>:
    [QUOTE]On a sadder note, it makes me suspicious of the relationship just because I had a friend with an abusive husband who completely alienated her from all of her friends. So this kind of sudden shut out with no explanation makes me side-eye things. 
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I thought too, but Liv made a great point.</div><div>It is really confusing and doesn't make sense.</div><div>What WOULD make sense is if she just deativated her facebook all together, then she wouldn't have to deal with people finding out what she doesn't want to know.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is some odd behaviour.  I've had friends just announce engagements and pregnancies over facebook, but never quite like that!

I did have a FB friend who did go BSC and actually make a facebook photo album with pictures of models in wedding dresses, and she photoshopped (badly) her face onto them.  And then did the same for her pretend wedding party.  

They did get engaged awhile after this happened but it has been since called off.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    UPDATE: She is indeed married. It was a last minute wedding (engagement + wedding in the timespan of a month) and it was pretty small. Her parents were there, but she did not invite her extended family... this is why she removed all that stuff on Facebook... she didn't want her family to raise hell and get stinky with her parents about it. She didn't tell those of us who live around the area for two reasons, one... that it was super short notice and the wedding was several states away... and two... so word wouldn't get to her extended family.

I wished her the best and I'll be sending her a card. I'm just relieved to know that she is indeed married and that the guy is a good guy!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad everything's ok! 

Too bad we couldn't get RDJ in here to solve it though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't get why she'd even bother putting those pics on the FB if she doesn't want anyone knowing.Seems pretty silly. Glad everything seems Ok though

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards