Chit Chat

Planning Far From Family

Hey everyone! I am planning a wedding in Spokane, WA with my MOH lives in Seattle, MOB  (and FOB) in Albuquerque, and the rest of my bridesmaids dispursed thoughout the country (one might even be in South America in a couple months!). I am about 8 months out and as some of the planning has started I am starting to get a little depressed that I have no one to plan with or share ideas with, other than my wonderful FI... I was wondering if anyone had been in the same situation and had some advice for me! Thanks!

Re: Planning Far From Family

• I did most of my planning via FB with my MOH, and she only lives about 20 minutes away.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I know where you're coming from.
    I am planning my wedding in Ottawa, Canada where my fiance and I live.
    My mom, maid of honour and my one bridesmaid all live in different cities, and nowhere close to Ottawa. 

Basically thus far it's been a lot of phone calls (Skype is amazing!) and emails.
    My mom did fly here to go dress shopping with me and has offered to fly here anytime I need her help for anything.
    But I'm using email to run ideas and send links of things to my mom and bridesmaids for their input. 

For the most part though it's just my fiance and I. Which for us is how we like it.
    We have also tapped the wife of his best man to be a pseudo-wedding coordinator. She is the most organized, detail oriented person I know and we need someone who isn't in the bridal party to help on the day of the wedding to ensure the ceremony and reception sites are properly set up.
    I expect I will rely on her a lot in the months ahead as well.

If you are planning any showers that your bridesmaids are attending, maybe plan to  get some of the things done together then. And have them arrive at least a few days before the wedding if possible to help put together things like favours and programs.

I remember a few years ago a friend had a bunch of us over to help her put her favours together and none of us were in the wedding party. She ordered pizza and had beer and wine and we had a really fun night. So don't be afraid to ask for help from friends who do live in the same city even if they aren't in the wedding party. You don't want to go overboard on it but many people would be happy to help.
    BabyFruit Ticker Me: 37 DH: 40 Married: 7/31/2011 TTC since September 2011 BFP: Nov. 22, 2012 EDD: July 29, 2013
  • Thanks everyone! I feel so much better about whats ahead! Good luck @missymr!
  • I can sympathize... though some of the ladies I plan to ask to be my bridesmaids (haven't asked anyone yet) live in the same city as me, my mom and my sister live about 5 hours away, and it makes me a little sad to know that I'll have to do the majority of our wedding planning without them. No mother/daughter/sister trip to try on wedding dresses or anything. Thankfully my sister are in constant IM and email contact, so I'll still try to take pics of things and get as much input from them as I can.
  • I definitely understand what you are going through. All of our immediate family lives in Ohio, we are in Georgia. My MOH/sister and I communicated a lot through picture text, e-mail and phone. That is pretty much how I kept all the BM's in the loop and abreast of what was going on.
  • I fully understand how you are feeling and I hope you are able to find close friends in your town who will be there for you even if they aren't in your wedding.  I live in Colorado, one of my sisters lives in Houston and the other is in Alaska and my mom passed away 7 years ago, my 3rd bridesmaid is also in Houston.  I do have some good friends in town that are willing to help and one friend in particular who I will have come with me to look at dresses because I trust her and she would never let me go alone!  She is actually one of my oldest sisters best friends from growing up and she knows my family situation.  She isn't going to be in the wedding and it doesn't matter to her at all she is just so happy to be there for me and give me a hand to hold and a glass of champaign through the process.  Good luck!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards