August 2012 Weddings

My nightmare.

So when I went in for my "final" dress fitting at the end of June, I discovered that my dress was TOO SMALL. Yes, the dress that I bought off the rack 4 sizes too big for me was altered and is now too small. At first, my seamstress said that the dress just needed to be pressed, and that the 4 rolls of fabric (which is supposed to be flat) would be fixed with that. Then, she overheard me talk to my MOH and say that I went back on meds that might make me gain weight, and she said "OH well that's why it's too small. *THIS* wasn't here last time!" (Said "THIS" as she was waiving her hands around my stomach.). I see a personal trainer twice a week, totally revamped by diet, and lost a pound or two since our last meeting in April. Instead of fighting her, I asked her if she could fix it. She said she's 90% sure she could. I don't like those stats.

I'm frustrated because despite my desperate attempts to lose MORE weight in hopes that if she can't fix it, I can at least be thin enough to fix it myself, I haven't lost a single pound since June (and it's not just "weight", my clothes aren't fitting any differently). Intense cardio and weight training and lots of protein and a near-vegan diet has failed me. My "final final" fitting is on Wednesday, 3 days before my wedding, and I'm so afraid of what I'm going to do if the dress doesn't fit. I can't even look forward to my wedding because I'm worried that I won't have anything to wear to it, or that I'll have to search for a new dress that's appropriate for a Roman Catholic wedding last minute and pay out the wazoo for it and for my alterations so that it's ready by Saturday. What do I do??

Re: My nightmare.

• I think the lady who altered your dress took it in too much, Im not much help here but so sorry your going through this! I have nightmares about my dress..I go on Wed again with my strapless bra which my Mom or myself didn't have at our first fitting..There has to be a solution for you! Good luck!
    Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    I'm sure it will all be fine. Is it so tight that it cannot even be zipped? Or is it just a little snug?

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • It was taken in too much around my hips. As a result, the dress is riding up, so I've got rolls of fabric where it should be flat. It's just a mess. Undecided
  • Have you tried Spanx or some other cincher? Can she get you in earlier than 3 days out so you know?
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I would try to put on some spanks or something like that. At least it zips up! That would be a major problem!
  • I know I'll probably get shot down by a lot of people for suggesting this ... but ATKINS DIET.  Absolutely no more than 20 carbs a day (and those mostly from raw veggies).  I can drop 5 lbs. in 2 days.  It's been a life-saver for me on numerous occasions when I've put on a few pounds (like at Christmas!) and need to get it off in a hurry ... Definitely NOT suggesting it as a permanent lifestyle, just an emergency fix!

I hope everything works out for you!!  The extra stress doesn't help, for sure!
  • My initial thought was to find a new seamstress.  Having fittings months apart seems strange to me and not having the dress until 3 days before the wedding?  At this point she should have you on a "rush" basis and take a day or two to fix it.  My dress was also taken in a bit too much (fittings were a week apart, so no body change), and it was no problem to her to take it out a tad (I think she left some of the extra fabric to allow for such a situation). Your seamstress should be willing to work with/for you, not commenting on your body.  I'd honestly see if you could take it elsewhere at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards