Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Hindu and American Catholic Wedding--WOAH!!

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat as me. I am American and Catholic and my future husband is Indian and is Hindu.

We have decide to conduct both ceremonies in the same day. We realize how crazy and insane this entire day is going to be, but we really just want to honor both sides our families.

I really just wanted see if there is anyone that can relate to what I am going through. His parents have been beyond supportive and helpful in every way, but I find I am having the hardest time in purchasing my Indian clothing for the wedding. In the area we live in there is a large Indian population,which is great because there are stores available where I can access the clothing, but I find my height and overall look is not who they are use to selling the clothes too.

Help! I need to know how the best ways to approach this shopping situation!

Re: Hindu and American Catholic Wedding--WOAH!!

• There are culture boards to the right, ther's a Catholic weddings board and an Interfaith one I'm sure you can find plenty of ladies who are in the same boat and can help you out. GL
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited October 2010
    I just wanted to let you know that our sponsor couple at our Catholic parish is a Hindi wife and a Catholic husband, and they totally did it.  They did theirs on separate days, one right after another, but I know you can do it.

Come to the Catholic board!  We welcome you there!  There's even a girl there, DFWIndian, who will be a big help.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also under Culture Boards, there is a South Asian board - we'll cover you there for the Hindu half of your wedding.

I'm also having a fusion wedding with a Jain groom, so I know all about the difficulties - and the rewards.  Come on over and introduce yourself!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2010
    It's definitely a challenge to incorporate both cultures into one day, but it's been done before!

My fiance is American and I am Indian. We're getting married in a little over 3 weeks, but we chose to only have the traditional Hindu wedding. For our reception though, it will be more of a traditional "American" reception and I'll even change into a wedding dress while FI will don a suit and tie :)

I would suggest for you to have one ceremony earlier in the morning and then the other in the afternoon. Some things to think about are whether you want to have both ceremonies in the same location or if you want to have the Catholic ceremony at your  church and then the Indian ceremony at the reception site. That might work out best from a logistics stand point.

As for the Indian clothing, there are some stores that should also be able to custom order your outfit for you based on something you have seen there or might have a picture of. ( I assume you're talking about maybe the Oak Tree Road shops?)

Like the previous posters suggested, come on over to the South Asian board. We're a friendly group of gals and would love to help you out!
    ExerciseMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards