New York-Long Island

Question Long Island Traffic

I'm going to a friend's wedding at the Swan Club.  I'm driving in from New Jersey.  Her wedding is a in May.  Ceremony starts at 5.  How much time should I budget?  I'm about 5 minutes from Newark Airport

Re: Question Long Island Traffic

• Roseinbloom2Roseinbloom2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say from the city the Swan Club is about an hour with traffic on a weekend.  However if it's a Friday, then give yourself an hour and a half because the traffic from the Midtown tunnel is brutal.  It's only in Nassau County and you will already be in the North Shore area from the LIE, just take the midtown tunnel and don't go through Staten Island because you want to avoid the BQE at all costs!!!!  I hope that was helpful and hope it wasn't too confusing!
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    since you're 5 mins from newark take the holland or lincoln over to the 59th street bridge or midtown tunnell then take the expressway. there's no reason to even consdier going south through staten island (totally out of the way).

on a friday afternoon i'd honestly give it 2 hours. traffic through the tunnels is murder.

on another note-consider taking the path to penn and then the lirr out to the swan. will prob save you time (and aggrevation). then train it back or car service. i would avoid driving from nj to swan on a friday afternoon at all costs. OR consider leaving at noon and getting to swan at 1. perhaps get a hotel for overnight.

• edited December 2011
    I am originally from the area where the Swan Club is located and currently live in PA. I would give yourself two hours just to be on the safe side. You never know about traffic in that area...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • riverjibriverjib member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_question-long-island-traffic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:5ed6f1ba-cbee-4f35-86f7-e8422d124a4aPost:846dd375-57a5-4955-b6b4-6917d5156d7f">Re: Question Long Island Traffic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am originally from the area where the Swan Club is located and currently live in PA. I would give yourself two hours just to be on the safe side. You never know about traffic in that area...
    Posted by martinsgirls[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I've lived in Queens (currently LI) for almost ten years, but I've spent most of my 30 years traveling between NJ and NYC/LI. You never know. I was working in Mineola, LI when my sister graduated from Rutgers mid-week in May. I left work 2 hours before her ceremony started, and it took me 3.5 hours to get there and park. Fortunately, I still made it an hour before she walked...thank RC for graduating SO MANY students at once :-)

On Saturdays during the summer, travel usually is awful at 8-10 am, gets better, then gets bad again around 2 or 3 in both directions (between LI and NJ). I've made it to Monmouth County, an hour south in the wrong direction for Jersey shore traffic, in less than 2 hours. It's also taken me 4 hours. Leave yourself plenty of time if it's in the summer, and plan to relax and get changed once you arrive.

Quick edit: I live near the Swan Club, and I recently had my aunt, my sister, and my mom come to visit one weekend. There was a huge accident on the LIE that shut it down in both directions for several hours, and every other route was a nightmare. It took my poor sister (traveling with an infant and a toddler) almost 2.5 hours to get here from Manhattan, when it normally only takes 40 minutes in light traffic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards