Connecticut

Serve your own cake?

I just read an informative article over on "off-beat bride" If I knew how to link it I would. There was a bride asking how to avoid hugs at the receiving line as she has fibromyalgia and is in constant pain--pain made worse with physical contact. While this is not my situation I have been tossing around the idea of receiving line vs. no receiving line. In the few weddings I went to I found the receiving line to be so incredibly awkward as a guest. Those kind of lines in general are awkward. Wakes, weddings- the lines make me nervous! Many times you don't know what to say to the people you don't know....first you need an introduction and then it's your responsibility to come up with something sincere. Plus, my fiance and I hate lines! 

Anyway..the point of my post..one of the suggestions in the article was to stand behind the desert table and hand your guests their cake, cupcake, etc! You get to meet and greet just about everyone. In this brides case she'll have a table in between her and her guests and can avoid the hugs. (I might need it too with FI large italian family..lol.)  I kind of like the idea...keeps it intimate..it's like your serving guests desert after dinner in your own home. Makes for a nice way of saying, "thank you for coming to wish us well."  

Maybe we'll put a little note in the church program reading, "We'd love to 'receive' you...but we hate lines! Please feel free to come up to us, share in a dance, or be served a piece of wedding cake from yours truly." 

Anyone else think this idea is cute, good, do-able? 
Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Serve your own cake?

• starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think you can totally do away with the receiving line, and do the cake-serving instead!  it's a cute and unique idea!

i would not, however, put the little note in the program.  i think people will figure it out during the reception...and maybe you can just have your DJ announce it instead...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_serve-own-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:cc1a95d9-eea1-4683-ac9e-b4a98134c303Post:424d2afe-83b3-43e9-b7f8-11dd6f5e5b1e">Re: Serve your own cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE] i would not, however, put the little note in the program.  i think people will figure it out during the reception...and maybe you can just have your DJ announce it instead...
    Posted by starrbuk13[/QUOTE]

I agree! I think it is a really cute idea. But have the DJ make announcements and direct tables to keep things organized.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't put a note in the program either.  You are getting married at Amarante's right? Are you doing a sit-down meal or buffet?
  • edited December 2011

This is actually usually an Italian tradition- my grandparents and my mom did this at their weddings. They had a tray of italian cookies in addition to the cake, and they went around table to table with thier husband to hand them out and thank everyone individually for coming.

Normally now you see couples doing this throughout the entire reception, just making their way to tables- but I think it's a nice gesture either way you do it- and you definately don't need a receiving line. I think a receiving line is only really nice or when you have a lot of guests who may not be able to go to your reception.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_serve-own-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:cc1a95d9-eea1-4683-ac9e-b4a98134c303Post:83ab1fdc-5285-4e41-96a5-b9f1c0a481b7">Re: Serve your own cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is actually usually an Italian tradition- my grandparents and my mom did this at their weddings. They had a tray of italian cookies in addition to the cake, and they went around table to table with thier husband to hand them out and thank everyone individually for coming. Normally now you see couples doing this throughout the entire reception, just making their way to tables- but I think it's a nice gesture either way you do it- and you definately don't need a receiving line. I think a receiving line is only really nice or when you have a lot of guests who may not be able to go to your reception.
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

<div>Agree. I don't like receiving lines either and we're planning on going around to all the tables anyway.  I don't think there's anyone going to the ceremony who wouldn't be at the reception. </div>
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like Sandra's idea. She is wise!!!!

FI and I will be greeting our guests with our parents and BP when guests arrive to the reception amd we'll be going from table to table to thank them and wish them a safe journey home.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a cute idea if you did it in addition to table visits.

Just keep in mind, when some people want dessert, they WANT dessert and may get tired of waiting in line.  But if this is done by table, it could go really well.
  • edited December 2011
    Yay! You're right; nothing in the program. I had just read about doing that and I thought it was so nice, personal, and very "us" 

ggmae- we are having a sit down at amarantes. I'm not sure how they normally distribute cake. That's obviously something I'd have to talk to them about when we get closer. 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_serve-own-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:cc1a95d9-eea1-4683-ac9e-b4a98134c303Post:e3ce1923-2c80-410b-996f-2c697fb1cf81">Re: Serve your own cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay! You're right; nothing in the program. I had just read about doing that and I thought it was so nice, personal, and very "us"  ggmae- we are having a sit down at amarantes. I'm not sure how they normally distribute cake. That's obviously something I'd have to talk to them about when we get closer. 
    Posted by SillyLGoose[/QUOTE]

We did the cake-cutting, then they whisked the cake away to cut it and distributed it to our guests at their tables. I agree with Banana - my main concern was that guests would get tired of waiting in line. I think that it'd be nice if you could serve it by table, but you may have to do is separately so that it doesn't take ages!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards