California-San Diego

venues

Hey Everyone!
We are having MAJOR issues looking for a venue! We have a budget of 10,000-12,000 which sounds like a lot but we have about 150 people attending the wedding because we both have really big families, so our issue is every venue we have looked at so far has been between 12 and 14,000 dollars!! I am completely shocked! That is way over buf=dget because we still have to do everything else! Does anyone have any good affordable venues in san diego area we could look at? I am getting pretty desperate! Anything would be very welcome! Thank you so much!

Re: venues

• kay136kay136 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    You have a budget of $10k-$12k for the whole wedding venue including food and alochol? I don't think that's very high for San Diego. I looked at a ton of venues. Unfortunetly things are so expensive. Have you looked at the Handerly Hotel? I looked there it has a cute little outside area for the ceremony and I think the food prices were around $40-$50 a plate.
    Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What sort of venues have you looked at so far? Is $10-$12K your overall budget?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try looking at Bali Hai on Shelter Island

It was one of the venues we looked at and we had similar size/budget. Unfortunately they didn't have our date but I've been to wedding there before and it's always been lovely and an amazing backdrop.

If you have any military links look at those facilities too.

Good luck.
  • I was also looking for a venue in that budget range for 150 people. You may want to look at Coronado Community Center but availability goes as far out as 2014. There is also the Marina Village that may keep you within that budget. The Bali Hai, unfortunately will be 12-15k, unless maybe you do a weekday.  I agree with the military facilities...the Admiral Baker Clubhouse is nice. There is also the Island Club and the MCRD Bayview. The military facilites with food and alcohol will be around 8k. Also, Tom Ham's Lighthouse may be able to fit that budget on a weekday or Sunday. After all the research and visits, we ended up increasing our budget because I fell in love with the Bali Hai =)
    Good Luck!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_venues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:67b5549f-c4ba-4cf4-822f-f2b95651f9afPost:813d35b4-d701-468c-85df-91c46709be6c">Re: venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try looking at Bali Hai on Shelter Island www. balihai restaurant.com/ It was one of the venues we looked at and we had similar size/budget. Unfortunately they didn't have our date but I've been to wedding there before and it's always been lovely and an amazing backdrop. If you have any military links look at those facilities too. Good luck.
    Posted by SuburbsMrs[/QUOTE]
  • OP, assuming $10K is your overall budget, you and I have roughly the same overall budget and head count. You'll be hard-pressed to find a "traditional" wedding venue (like a hotel) in San Diego that will work with those numbers. FI and I are getting married at a city park (Sunset Cliffs - $275 for the permit) and then having our reception at Marina Village (Marine Room - $1,100 to rent the space). I don't know what sort of venues you've been looking at so far, but I would definitely check out places other than hotels and the like. PP's had some good suggestions. Best wishes on your search and let us know what you find! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you're overall budget is 10-12k, my opinion si that you're going to have to look for alternatives to traditional venues; perhaps a winery or restaurant and a cocktail style reception.  Try to think outside the box.  Where was your FI and your first date?  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_venues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:67b5549f-c4ba-4cf4-822f-f2b95651f9afPost:b830edbd-03d2-4ac3-bfe8-f0c8a2f1dfdc">Re: venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're overall budget is 10-12k, my opinion si that you're going to have to look for alternatives to traditional venues; perhaps a winery or restaurant and a cocktail style reception. 
    Posted by danielbarrios[/QUOTE]

I agree that you should research non-traditional venues, but from my experience, wineries are just as expensive (if not more so) than traditional hotel venues. 
    <div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards