Registry and Gift Forum

Marry in hometown but live 1500miles away. Registery nightmare!

My fiancé and I currently live in new York but we are moving to California a month before the wedding. We are getting married in his hometown in Louisiana. We don't need much in the way of wedding gifts but Im afraid that everyone will expect us to register or if we don't, bring any random gift to the wedding which lends to my main concern... How do we get this all back to Cali without astronomical shipping costs? Or broken china? Do we register and somehow specify to only order online and ship directly to our Cali address thru the stores website? Or pick up that store local to us when we return from our honeymoon? And what about the older folks who dont shop online? Or not register and just display one realllly big card box and somehow spread the word that only monetary gifts can be easily transported back to Cali. And God only knows what negative ways not registering (or spreading the word not to bring gifts) can be taken, so I'm afraid of that too. :-/ Any advice?

Re: Marry in hometown but live 1500miles away. Registery nightmare!

• My fiance and I currently live in New York and we are moving to California a month before the wedding. But we are getting married in our home state of Louisiana. We don't really need to register for gifts (and by no means expect any gifts or money) but from what I've read so far, your guests expect some direction on how to gift the newlyweds. We have had many conversations about how to register but can't figure out how it will make sense for us to absorb astronomical shipping costs from Louisiana to California for all of these gifts. Because of the geographical complications, I really can't have a shower either (since everyone is in Louisiana, the point of the shower is to open gifts, and then we would have to ship them to NY as that's where we will still be living at the time a shower should take place, and then move them with us to Cali). And without a shower, everyone would have to bring gifts to the actual wedding. Is there a proper way to go about this? Things that we have discussed so far:

1.) Register & pay out the @$$ for shipping
    2.) Register & somehow explain that gifts should either be purchased online and shipped directly to Cali, or purchased in store and shipped to Cali (or some sort of pick up option at our local store in Cali)
    3.) Don't register and somehow explain that cards (with or without cash/GC's) are easier to transport
    4.) Don't register and make no explanation of our situation and risk random gifts appearing at the wedding and still having to absorb shipping costs. 

What's the most proper and safest way (to avoid the ever present criticism) to register (or not) in this situation?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards