Honeymoon Discussions

East Coast Budget Honeymoon?

My FI and I have both lived in New Hampshire all of our lives, and we've both done the Maine/Vermont/Boston visits multiple times.

We're both kind of hitting a wall as to ideas for our honeymoon.  We know we'd like to drive, and we'd like to not spend BUCKETS of money (but with no real set budget yet).

Could anyone share their suggestions/experiences, and what might be available or a good deal in the places you went? Thanks all. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: East Coast Budget Honeymoon?

• If you are interested in the Cape at all, there is a really cute hotel - the Bayside Resort - that often offers specials. They have rooms with hot tubs in them too!

Newport, RI can have some inexpensive hotels & really cute B&B's. There's soo much to do there - lighthouse tours (by boat), mansion tours, vineyard tours, shopping, etc. FI and I go downtown for lunch at least once a month and always spend the night for our first date anniversary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_east-coast-budget-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:cc7370bc-3502-450f-bb13-c1b1ddc6bcbaPost:256c9857-73b9-44e2-a8d4-62eb0bee9871">Re: East Coast Budget Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are interested in the Cape at all, there is a really cute hotel - the Bayside Resort - that often offers specials. They have rooms with hot tubs in them too! Newport, RI can have some inexpensive hotels & really cute B&B's. There's soo much to do there - lighthouse tours (by boat), mansion tours, vineyard tours, shopping, etc. FI and I go downtown for lunch at least once a month and always spend the night for our first date anniversary.
    Posted by sparkellyy[/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much! I went to Newport once and loved it but FI has never been! Any hotels/B&Bs you would recommend there specifically?<div>
    </div>
  • H and I went to Newport for his birthday this year.  We stayed at the Hydrangea House Inn and would definitely recommend it.  The couple that runs the B&B are very friendly and gave us great recommendations for things to do and places to eat.  The rooms are nice and spacious.  Breakfast was great and they have wine and cheese in the afternoons.  It was within walking distance to many things. 
  • I think Newport or the Cape are both great ideas.  But is your wedding really almost 2 years away?  No pressure to pick a honeymoon yet, maybe as time goes on something will jump out at you.  If you don't mind a (much) longer drive, the Outer Banks could be a great trip also.  You could rent a house right on the water w/ a hot tub, pool, etc.   Plus it'll be wamer this time of year than on the Cape or RI, if that's something that's important (you'd actually be able to go in the water, probably).  If the beach isn't your thing, what about Washington DC?  Great city, great restaurants, tons of affordable stuff to do.
  • well it looks like you have about 2 years to go so that would be sept/oct time correct? since you're in NH why not canada? quebec, toronto and/or montreal?

• Are you looking at New england only?

If not, maybe consider something like Charleston, or Savannah. Both Beautiful, romantic cities, and both near beaches!
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone! Yes, the wedding is a little shy of 2 years away (end of Sept 2014) but with our current amount of income, we're trying to decide what we like ahead of time so we have plenty of time to save up for it all.  

Does this seem silly?
  • Not at all. Having a set budget is a great idea, two years ahead or not!

We stayed @ the Hyatt on Goat Island the last time we stayed in Newport, which I loved. For a honeymoon, though, I would suggest a B&B.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Planning and budgeting is good sense.  For September, consider Block Island in RI for a quiet and private honeymoon. 
  • I also recommend Charleston SC. We were there in January a few years back and the temps were in the 60's. It will be warm when you are there, not sure how far that is to drive, but if you turn it into a "road trip", and stay and/or visit places along the way, there's a lot of coastline between you and there.

I'd also recommend Washington DC if you have never been there. I just responded to another post above about DC. It is a very cool town, aside from the hotel costs, (cheapest place is the State Plaza, about 5 blocks from the Lincoln Monument), all the museums are free.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_east-coast-budget-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:cc7370bc-3502-450f-bb13-c1b1ddc6bcbaPost:3546fb45-481c-4ef7-8edb-6296589310c0">Re: East Coast Budget Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you thought about the Finger Lakes in NY? Ithaca is a fun town with lots of great restaurants and stuff to do and you can use it as a home base for vinyard tours and hiking to fantastic waterfalls. There are B&Bs and hotels, so you have some options over how much to spend on lodging.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

I lived in Ithaca for 3 years and I definitely recommend the finger lakes region. Really pretty.

Also, Saranac Lake and Lake Placid in the Adirondaks have a lot of cool outdoor stuff and pretty scenery. Kayaking and boating in the summer, winter sports in the colder months.

Other suggestions are Niagara Falls (especially Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Canadian side - wineries and fudge!), Montreal, and Ocean City, NJ (depending on the time of year).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_east-coast-budget-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:cc7370bc-3502-450f-bb13-c1b1ddc6bcbaPost:7fc38a85-6aa9-4462-a17f-7904c5829371">Re: East Coast Budget Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]H and I went to Newport for his birthday this year.  We stayed at the Hydrangea House Inn and would definitely recommend it.  The couple that runs the B&B are very friendly and gave us great recommendations for things to do and places to eat.  The rooms are nice and spacious.  Breakfast was great and they have wine and cheese in the afternoons.  It was within walking distance to many things. 
    Posted by kozacs[/QUOTE]

I also highly recommend HH
  • Lake Placid is beautiful, and there are lots of budget-friendly options there. The same goes for the outer banks of North Carolina.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards