Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Hamilton Ballroom-Food Tasting

Calling all brides holding their wedding at Hamilton Ballroom! I'm curious, were you offered/did you attend a food tasting?

We toured HB last summer and booked in the fall. At the time, we were told that there was going to be a free food tasting open house for all of their couples held sometime over the winter when Cork Factory opened. If such a thing happened, we weren't invited.

I e-mailed HB's staff the other week and just asked if we could have a tasting. They told me that to do so, I had to make a reservation with the Cork Factory Hotel chef and that I could have 4 people total, a max of 3 entrees, for $25 per entree. Food would be served family style and with veggies, bread, etc.

I'm a little big peeved that we have already committed to spending thousands of dollars with them towards food and the space rental, but they are also requiring us to spend more money than we'd normally spend for an evening out just to get a taste of it. Particularly since we were told a tasting would take place.

A big of insight would be nice. I haven't had the best experience with this place so far, and I'm really hoping it's not indicative of what we'll experience on our wedding day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hamilton Ballroom-Food Tasting

• Options
    edited December 2011

My sister just got married at Cork Factory.  From what I understand, they do a tasting every 3 months.  Did you call and find out if there is another one coming up before your wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we are using the Cork Factory and already had a tasting along with couples using the HB. We also booked in the fall. I would try to speak to someone on the phone about it. If you were not extended an invite you should not have to pay for a tasting if they are now only offering a more personal style tasting. That is absurd. I also was under the impression that they have group (and I do mean group) tastings every so often. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Queserasera - When is your wedding?

I am getting married at the Cork Factory on June 18, 2011, and while I saw that they had a group tasting event in the winter, I didn't get an invite, however I assumed maybe they only invited 2010 brides to that event... I'm curious to see if they are continuing the group tastings, and I might contact them myself to see what they say!

VintageFix- What did you think of the food?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    melbelle - In general, the food wasn't anything special :(BUT we went to the first tasting and it was the very first time the kitchen was running together so I wasn't expecting amazing. It usually takes a new restaurant a good month or two to work out all of the kinks. Chef Tammi was super sweet and seems like she really has her stuff together. I did like the salmon, prosciutto wrapped melon, and I really liked the house champagne! FI liked the pigs in a blanket (big surprise).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    queserasera84queserasera84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    melbelle- Our wedding is June 25, 2011. So maybe you are right, they only did tastings for the 2010 brides, but I still think it's a little questionable that we were told it would happen and then found out we weren't invited (my fiance has a coworker getitng married there in a few months and was invited to the tasting). If you contact them, would you mind sharing what they told you? I'd be interested to see what their response to you is!

vintagefix-I'm a little sad to hear that the food wasn't so great, but maybe you are right that it's the first time the kitchen prepared food for a crowd. I'm hoping that by the time our wedidng comes around next spring they'll have lots of practice.

I'm really trying to give them the benefit of a doubt, but we've had constant troubles with them- they were rude to my wedding planner, they have been very hard to get in touch with (both by phone and by e-mail), and they seem to only be falsely nice. I guess not everything can be perfect!

Thanks for the comments, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married at HB October 2009,  they did not serve food at that time.  I am assuming this is a new service.  Is it required for you to use their chef?  or can you still hire someone else? Just curious
  • Options
    queserasera84queserasera84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@tiffany: Congratulations on your marriage! How was the HB staff the day of your wedding?

Since the Cork Factory opened, Hamilton Ballroom now requires that you use their catering/chefsfrom the Cork Factory. I guess they truck the food over.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a wedding planner in Lancaster and have worked with both Hamilton Ballroom and Cork Factory. You should not have to pay for a tasting if you haven't even been offered one. Your wedding planner should be able to fight that issue. I had a client do a private tasting recently and they didn't charge her anything. (They and I had also gone to the group tasting...which I agree wasn't very good but hopefully just because it was their first one!) The girls there are usually great to work with so I'm surprised they've been rude. So far their service has been great at the receptions I've been at...but I would really recommend if you're having your wedding there that you hire at least a day of coordinator (and not just saying that because I am one...) to make sure everything does run smoothly! Kiss

I am also under the understanding that they are to do a couple tastings a year. Good luck! And happy planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards