North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Choosing a caterer

Hi! I am getting married May 2013 at Budleigh and we haven't picked a caterer yet. We have decided to do bbq but I am not sure who to go with. Can anyone recommend some places.

How did you chose a caterer? Did you have a tasting then book them or book them then taste? We are going to the OBX this weekend and I would like to try some of the bbq places. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Choosing a caterer

• Options
    Hi! BBQ is a great choice! We went with Black Pelican because of their wait services (passed appetizers, picking up the tables, pouring the champagne and passing it out, cutting the cake, clean up, etc) instead of one of the other BBQ-only type places. I highly recommend them. Our food was delicious and they were great to work with. They don't do tastings unless you're already booked, but they do have a restaurant--get the crab dip.
  • Options
    Hi and welcome! All of the caterers we met with allowed us to do a tasting without booking their services. I would have been hard pressed to pick an outside caterer without having a tasting, regardless if I ate at the restaurant, catering food is not the same. We used Sooey's for our welcome dinner, and it was delicious, very convenient as well. I would take a look on the OBX wedding page under caterers and see what you can find and set up a meeting with them. If this is your only wedding planning trip before your wedding, try to get to as many as possible. I don't remember hearing any negative comments about any of the bbq places before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hello!  We did BBQ as well for our reception. We went with High Cotton BBQ, and it was excellent!  We had leftovers for days.  Lori was easy to work with while setting things up, and very easy to communicate with.  We provided our own alcohol, and Lori was able to provide us with a bartender for the night for an extra fee (that was very fair).  I would highly suggest looking into high cotton bbq.  We did the chicken and bbq option, and then added on a few extra sides as well.  
  • Options
    My FI and I are heading down to OBX in two weeks and are planning on doing a tasting and Kelly's Tavern and High Cotton BBQ- I'm happy to posts our thoughts/opinions on both if that's helpful for brides that are further away and can't make the drive. I know we can't make the decision FOR you (haha) but I love reading everyones advice and opinions...picking a caterer is SO overwhelming!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards